Unexpected restaurant customs [General]

2008 Mar 17
The "Rules for waiters" thread (ottawafoodies.com/forum/878) got me thinking about how the style of service varies between cultures. It's clear from that thread that many people have rigid expectations on how service should happen. Of course these expectations are cultural and do not apply to all restaurants.

Off the top of my head, here are some "unconventional" practices:

* In Vietnamese culture it is rude for a server to bring the bill to a table (or even offer to do so) unless explicitly asked. People who aren't aware of this get annoyed when they have to ask for the bill. Some busy Viet restos outside Chinatown have yielded to the North American way and will bring you a bill, especially if there's a line up of customers waiting.

* In Chinese restaurants food is brought to the table as soon as it is cooked (no heat lamps!), often meaning that dishes do not arrive all at once. Rice is usually brought last. You should start eating right away and enjoy the food when it is hot.

Can you share any others?

2008 Mar 18
John's Quick Lunch John's Family Diner works like Vietnam :-) First time we were there we waited quite some time for the bill. Turns out, they NEVER bring it to the table. When you are ready to pay, you go up to the cash and do so.

In Germany you generally don't tip - only round up to the next Mark (or I suppose Euro, these days). Because waiters always get a percentage off the top anyway. Though you do tip the person who pumps your gas.

2008 Mar 18
I think the no-tipping rule is generally true in most European countries. I know that was the case in Belgium when I went a few years ago and read it in Fodors. But it just felt weird and I almost always left something just to feel right.

Per Se in NYC, has followed this tradition as well. A year or two back they increased their prices so that the price of the meal included service and a tip was no longer necessary. I believe its one of the few restaurants in North America that does that.

Cheers

2008 Mar 18

In some European countries bread is placed on the table and if you take some, you are charged for it as an appetizer. I have many friends who are so surprised once they get the bill!

When I was in London, I had a really friendly server and when I tried to tip him, he was offended and slid it back across the table. It was fine, I just don't understand how that could be offensive to them? I thought it was great service and I wanted to acknowledge that.

2008 Mar 18
Oooh, speaking of surprises like that - was in Brampton last month and went to a little brew pub with my family and my nephew's family. When I ordered fries they asked if I wanted gravy with it. Little did I know there was a $1 charge for it!

2008 Mar 18
I've found, Zymurgist, that when a restaraunt 'asks' if you want something.. very rarely is it free. I've been caught up on this many times. I think the one I was most annoyed with was a lunch that included salad, and while I was dithering over which flavour dressing, the server helpfully asked if I'd rather have Caesar to which I replied yes. Of course, on the bill, there was like a 3 dollar surcharge for Caesar. Also, had this really weird happening downtown at a diner, very very late one night as we were enjoying some apres bierre food and coffee. There was a group of maybe 5 or 6 of us, and there was nothing on the menu that I wanted, except a side order of BAKED BEANS (don't ask.. must've been the beer) I ordered it, with no complaint from the server, but when I got my bill, it was substantially larger than the cost of coffee and a side of beans. Turns out the place had an unwritten rule that you cannot order a side order (even though it's in the menu, with it's own price) if you don't order a meal.. so I was charged for a meal I didn't get, so I could have the beans that I did. In that case, a polite, but slightly intoxicated belligerence took over, and I told the owner I would not pay, and left enough money for my coffee, and the beans.

2008 Mar 18
In Greece, the servers in average restaurants don't hover like they do here They bring your food, put the bill in a shotglass and leave you be unless you signal them over for anything (more beer, water, food). You're expected to leave your money in the glass unless you need change. Each time they bring you something else, they put another slip in the shot glass or they bring you a second shot glass.

Only in restaurants that actually cater to tourists (some of the really kitsch ones near the main tourist/shopping street in Athens) do they hover and ask you questions (ie: do you want more, how was it etc.) the way servers do here.

2008 Mar 18
At some restaurants in Germany when you order the Schnapps (which is usually home made or small batch) you get a bottle and a stick. You hold the stick up against the bottle - on the stick are markings to show you how much you've consumed. So you just drink as much as you want and when you are done they hold the stick up to see how much you owe them for.

2008 Mar 18
Restaurants in Korea generally serve several small side dishes called "panchan" with your meal. These are included in the price of the meal, and once you finish them you can ask for more. The type of panchan that come with your meal generally vary, but you can count on at least one of them being kimchi.

And it's not just restaurants. When you go to a bar in Korea, if the restaurant owner is in a good mood, you may even get some free snacks with your drinks.

2008 Mar 19
Fresh Foodie - Thanks for this post. I often go to a Vietnamese restaurant, and although the food & service is good, I always end up waiting for the bill, and finally have to go up to the cash to pay. LOL... I had no idea why, I just thought it was that after they brought you your food they basically forgot about you. Now I know. Thanks.

And I'm with Pete in Ottawa - I never expect anything to be FREE. If it ends up that way, all the better!