Swiss make best cheese [General]

2008 Mar 16
This one's for you FF :

Switzerland retains crown as cheese champ
MADISON, Wis. (AP) — When it comes to making the world’s best dairy prod­ucts, the Swiss are still the “big cheeses."
Two cheese makers from Switzer­land and one from Italy emerged as the top three at the 2008 World Champion­ship Cheese Contest, beating out al­most 2,000 competing entries.
It was the second straight title for a Swiss cheese.
The 2008 champion was Le Gruyere Switzerland, a gruyere produced by Michael Spycher in Wasen, a Swiss village of 300 people. Judges lauded the winning sample for its full and fruity taste.
The gruyere sells in the U.S. for about $14 per pound.
A gorgonzola made by CERPL Cheesemakers in Bologna, Italy was the runner-up, while third place went to Kaserei Guntershausen, a Swiss maker of a rinded Swiss-style cheese.
The 2006 winner in the once-every­two- years contest was Christian Wuth rich of Switzerland, who won with a Swiss cheese.

2008 Mar 16
I hear the Wisconsin Cheeseheads are quite upset about this title going to the Swiss, seems the Wisconsin Boys were a little intoxicated at the competition, and got disqualified for their habit of not waiting for the Official Judge and going ahead and cutting the cheese on their own!

;-P I'm sorry this was just too easy!

2008 Mar 16
It's always great when the rest of the world agrees with that which you already know to be true. ;-)

My Canadian side has to mention that I'm pretty darn proud of many Quebec cheeses. Maybe the best Quebecois cheesemakers are all Swiss immigrants...

2008 Mar 16
Fresh Foodie - You might be right, I know the Eastern Townships have some amazing cheeses, and I believe that there are a fair numbr of Swiss (and her neighbours) living in the region. Makes sense to me.