Naturally Dyed Easter Eggs [Cooking]

2008 Mar 15
Dye eggs with things from the produce and/or spice aisles.
I just did some marbleized beauties with the red cabbage/vegetable oil method.
Wow! They're gift material. Egg anyone?

www.curbly.com

2008 Mar 15
My wife uses kool aid to dye wool - maybe it would work too

2008 Mar 15
Those are beautiful! My mom uses a mix of onion skins (the dry ones) and tea bags when boiling Easter eggs. They come out a nice yellow brown like the one left of center in your photo.

Before dyeing, she uses a white or yellow wax crayon to draw flowers and bunnies and things. The wax crayon blocks the absorption of dye and the end result looks pretty classy. Then we play eiertutsch and take turns banging each other's eggs to see who has the strongest one (a bit like playing conkers with chestnuts). Problem is, if you're winning you don't have an egg to eat! Traditionally we eat the egg dipped into a mustard/chive/mayo dressing, with cold cuts and good bread.

(Photo from www.kulturbeo.ch)

2009 Apr 11
I made these again this year and, kids, it's an easy project that results in some real beauties. I used electrical tape on a few - super cool results - and gave them a very light polish with olive oil afterwards. They're (almost) too nice to hide. :)

2009 Apr 11
looks awesome amr

2009 Apr 13
I've used that website for the last 2 years and have found the recipes don't work out quite as well as the pics posted on the site (the ones above). The onion skins do work out quite nicely except I'm not sure how to get "olive green" from red onion skins. My eggs always turn out dark red/brown - nice but not the colour I wanted. I do like the fact that the dye is all from foodstuffs. A great source of onion skins was the grocery store on stocking days. When asked, you could get bags of the skins for free without having to buy a thing.
The kool aid might work nicely with vinegar or alum as a fixative.