The 2008 CSA thread [General]

2008 Mar 12
So who's doing the CSA thing this year?

I've already signed up with www.saffirefarms.ca/ and they are currently taking on customers if interested. We were very happy with them last year and are going back. It's owned and run by a buddy of mine. This year they will have drop of spots at Alcatel, Nortel, beside the Parkdale Market (my driveway, to be exact), and Manor Park (near east end - St Laurent?)

en.wikipedia.org

2008 Mar 19
So nobody else is doing the CSA thing this year? This wasn't intended to be just a senseless plug for my buddy's CSA. I was hoping to get some other options out there to show people what's available, and maybe a bit of discussion as well.

2008 Mar 19
I am looking for a CSA that has good quality ingredients, selection & also that delivers very close to my house. Don't have time to drive all over the city. Also if they drop it off in the morning it will be dead from the summer heat by the time I pick it up after dinner.
Anyone know of any others that deliver in the riverview park area?

2008 Mar 19
Where is Riverview Park? EDIT : google maps suggests it's over by CHEO

As for selection - keep in mind that you will get what's in season. But yes, some will grow a larger variety of seasonal veggies than others.

2008 Mar 19
I would love the "convenience" of having fresh produce delivered, unfortunately, it is more of a hassle for me because I am so busy and in the summertime and knowing when I'll be home on a regular basis is well just hit & miss. When the kids were little we frequented a pick-your-own farm, that worked out ok. At the time it was a great way to save some money over the course of the year. But it still was a lot of work -- picking, cleaning, blanching, freezing. Not something I'm prepared to do now. So that leaves Loblaws, Farm Boy and the occasional trip to a Farmers Market. Sigh! :-(

2008 Mar 20
For anybody who wants more info about Community Shared Agriculture, JustFood has info and a list of local CSAs: www.spcottawa.on.ca