March Blizzard [General]

2008 Mar 9
Here we are in the midst of another snowstorm, by all accounts a good old fashioned March Blizzard. And I remember when not so long ago (ok maybe it was longer than I'd like to admit) that the local Dairy Queen was closed all winter (back when DQ only served was ice cream) and would reopen mid-March, they would kick off their annual re-opening with Blizzard Season... So in honour of warmer days ahead, (and the thought that the winter of 2007-2008 may finally come to an end) what is your favourite Blizzard flavour?

--- --- ---

My favourite is Cappuccino Skor. Can't wait till the weather heats up and I'm at my local DQ getting my first fix of summer.

2008 Mar 9
I think my favourite Blizzard flavour flip flops between Crispy Crunch, Peanut Butter Cup, and Oreo. I'm not a fan of chocolate syrup in blizzards because it muddies the delicious artificial vanilla flavour of DQ soft serve -- I ask for them to leave it out if necessary.

If you join the Blizzard Fan Club you can enjoy their very quirky and somewhat entertaining monthly announcements. e.g. for March:

Mark,
There's no candy bar quite like the Kit Kat®. Four chocolate covered wafers that stand tall together like a band of brothers. Like pillars of chocolate society. Like crispy conjoined candy quadruplets--Okay, that last one got a little weird. But the point is, this formidable chocolate posse now joins forces with our creamy DQ® soft serve in the delicious new Kit Kat Blizzard® Treat. It's the Blizzard of the Month! And filled with Kit Kat pieces, it's a force to be reckoned with! Well, not really. You just eat it.

2008 Mar 9
SKOR = definitive Blizzard flavour

FF - I'm going to start writing my restaurant reviews like that!

2008 Mar 9
A few years ago they used to offer a Clodhoppers Blizzard, and that was my favourite. I haven't seen it recently (not that I go that often), so at the moment I'd vote for a Smarties Blizzard.

2008 Mar 9
Monty - I second your Skor Blizzard remark.

I wish they had a Kit-Kat & Nutella flavoured Blizzard as well. Ah well.

2008 Mar 9
I miss the chocolate covered cherry blizzard, it was amazing. And also when they used to put whole smarties in the bottom of the cup before mixing... it was great surprise at the end of the blizzard!

The cheesequake ones aren't too bad.

2008 Mar 10
I can't pick just one: like most everybody else, I'm torn between Oreo, Skor, and chocolate-covered cherry. It's especially sad, because I hardly ever have DQ three times in a year, meaning that somebody often sits out.

2008 Mar 10
Mine ?

A retro flavour, that some DQ's will still make, if they have the pecans.

It's called German Chocolate Cake.

-Chocolate Fudge Syrup
-Coconut
-Pecans

This was a popular Blizzard falvour, until they did all that joint marketing with mega food companies, such as Nestle, Hershey's etc. It used to be "cookies and Cream" , now it's Oreos's and Cream .... yeeeesh.

Why does everything have to be so "Corpo"

PS: Here is another Corpo-Restaurant thing that is relatively new. Ingredients, mentioned, and /or pictured in menus. Examples : "We proudly serve Heinz Ketchup", "Our pancakes come with only the finest of Aunt Jemima's Syrups", "Our steaks are dusted with Club House Steak Spice".

Is this done, so when kids grow up, they say "oooooo ... I don't want maple syrup on my pancakes !!, don't you have any Aunt Jemima Syrup ?" ??

PPS: This rant was brought to you courtesy of Folgers !!

2008 Mar 10
Well, Heinz ketchup is important because it's much better :)

I assume it's a sponsorship/advertising thing where they get them cheaper by mentioning the product by brand.

I haven't had a blizzard in years, but my old favourite was absolutely Chocolate covered cherry.

2008 Mar 10
Yuck. Have you actually tried other ketchups?
Heinz is to ketchup what Molson and Labatt are to beer. As bland an inoffensive as possible. Heck, we bought no-name ketchup from the local corner store and were amazed that not only was it far more flavourful than Heinz, it had all REAL ingredients. Not a single ingredient was an "unknown".

2008 Mar 10
Peanut butter cup is my favorite. My husband likes Smarties without the chocolate syrup.

2008 Mar 10
Hey Tre,

I think you may be right about them getting the product cheaper.... and the supplier gets 'free' advertising.

Welcome to the 'Disney-i-fication' Of our world.

If they still make the "Chocolate Covered Cherry", they probably call it "Cherry Bloosom" now.

Bunch-a corpo sell-outs !!

PS: Anyone notice a slipping of the quality of the soft serve at DQ. If you don't ... try it side by side with a Reid's Dairy cone. When I did.... I said "mmmmmmm... Reid's tastes like Dairy Queen used to". www.reidsdairy.com/home.htm

2008 Mar 10
Cap'n, why you gotta pull out the Reid's reference on me?!? Now I'm going to have to hunt for a Reid's milkshake... *drool* Their soft-serve is truly the best in Ontario. BTW - their eggnog is amazing too! Try making an eggnog milkshake with it... *uberdrool*

2008 Mar 11
Momomoto: If you can't pick just one flavour then do what I do - get three!! I can never understand why anyone would only pick one flavour when they can have as many as they want (at a price of course...)

Hubby only gets one flavor and it looks soooo boring :):)

I always get an Oreo/PB Cup/ and either Smarties or Skor. They always tell me: "You know it's going to cost extra" with a very worried expression :)

Believe me the extra .75/flavor is worth it!

BTW - there is a site for fans of the Blizzard:
www.blizzardfanclub.com

2008 Mar 11
Ha! That's a great idea! I never thought of that.

Speaking of non-Dairy-Queen products, can I hear a shout-out for the Laurentian View Dairy Bar, the best part of driving to North Bay?

2008 Mar 12
Most definitely. We'd never get it on the drive up to the Soo (mostly because it was too early in the morning) but always on the way home. There's just so much to chooose from!

2008 Mar 12
I shall throw my hat into the ring for Skor. Although I was turned on to the "Pecan Mudslide" a few years ago (mmmmmm hot fudge and caramel *drool*...) and rarely order Blizzards.

2008 Mar 12
I love chocolate chip cookied dough.

My fiancee's idea of a fun dinner is just a blizzard.

2008 Mar 12
I had a mint Oreo once, it was great!
Saw a commercial last night for a KitKat Blizzard, YUM!

2008 Mar 12
MedicineJar - LOL at the Blizzard Dinner. I can relate. It is fun sometimes to have something "not the norm" as a meal, like Breakfast for Dinner, or a Liquid Lunch on a Patio in the middle of the summer. When the kids were little sometimes we'd have a backwards day... eating all our meals in reverse, Steak & Salad for Breakfast, Pancakes for Dinner. The kids loved it. And I know when I went to summer camp as a kid, they had Christmas in July... we'd have the whole turkey dinner, something that most families didn't do in the summer ever... just for holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. It is these crazy things that make great memories.

2008 Mar 12
Momomoto--For 20 some years I've been doing the Ottawa to North Bay drive and Laurentian Dairy is always the half way pit stop. 20 years ago it was for diaper changes and break for mom but now--my kids still insist we stop for shakes (malted for some family members) and cones or just a cup. I don't have a personal favourite--how could you when they change the flavours so frequently...you can get a banana in your shake! The one thing we have noticed...sigh...things change...in the summer, the regular, older (grandmotherly types!) are replaced by less friendly &/or efficient students .We still stop and still enjoy.
BTW--foods not bad if you choose to stop and if you have a dog you can run it around out back and they will give you a large cup of water. The raspberry pie is awesome--must confess--once passed it off as my own at a family reunion.

2008 Mar 15
FF - NOOOO!!!!! The kit kat blizzard takes like wet vanilla flavoured cardboard! hope that you do not ever have the misfortune of eating one.

I liked the monster cookie blizzard from a couple of years ago - basically a chocolate-chip-oatmeal-cookie-with-m&ms in DQ soft serve.

Also, skor = delicious.

2008 Mar 15
Skor Blizzard for the win here, on occasion the cherry cheesecake trumps it though.

2008 Mar 16
I was a fan of the "pecan mudslide", and usually ask them to make it even though it's not on the menu.