spinning off most useless to most useful [General]

2008 Feb 28
Ill admit my most useless kitchen tool is me, I let my hunny be the creative force in the kitchen, if you want replication of sustenance, Im your girl, if you want a meal, my hunny's your man! My most useful recent find for the kitchen tho, besides the man, is the "tie wraps" that Lee Valley introduced last year, long silicone "worm like" in appearance, they are awesome for securing and rolling things heading for the oven, easy to use once you figure the best way to close them, and easy to clean, much better than the sewing thread I used to use on stuffed tenderloins and such!

2008 Feb 28
One of my favourite kitchen tools are poultry lacers (you can get them for about $2 a pack) I have never used them for trussing poultry but I do use them for :
testing cakes for doneness
testing boiled potatoes
conducting heat through the middle of cakes that take a long time to bake (like the bigass fruit cakes I make and cut up every year at the French Baker).
making designs for plated desserts
adding paste food colouring to mixtures

does a lot of things for $2 yes?

Oh, and you can apparently use them for trussing poultry, so I hear.

2008 Feb 28

I'll let the picture speak for itself.

8" Chef and polypropylene handle (dish washer safe)

2008 Feb 28
Captain Caper- I'm with you, my chef knife, mine's a 10" Wusthof Grand Prix.

2008 Feb 28
My santoku knife

2008 Feb 28
My cheap Henckels cleaver. I sharpen it every second time I use it and it's a pleasure all the way. Slicing, chopping, scooping -- it does everything I need. After learning how to use the cleaver I almost never reach for the 8" chef's knife.

2008 Feb 29
FF: I picked up one of those massive Lee Valley cleavers, and I only use it for the badass stuff like sectioning chicken and splitting squash. I should try using it for more things!

As it stands, yeah, I'm standing by my 8" Shun Classic chef's knife. Though I'm still (I think I said this last month) craving the move up to 10". Maybe when the tax return comes in!