Kitchenaid Mixers [General]

2008 Feb 25
The topic of Kitchenaid Mixers came up again in the Pasta Maker post here in the forum. It got me to thinking again about making this purchase. I've looked at all the various mixers on the market, and time & time again, I come back to seriously thinking about purchasing a Kitchenaid Mixer, but there is just soooo much to pick from. I thought I might ask all the Kitchenaid Mixer owners here a couple of questions. (And yes I did read the previous topic in the Forum). What I am in particular looking for is (a) which mixer do you own, (b) how often do you use it, and for what kind of applications, and (c) are you satisfied, or would you like to "trade up".

As said before, there is a lot of differences between the Kitchenaid Canada website and the US website (beyond cost). The Canada website lists 4 Stand Mixers and 2 Bowl Lift Mixers (while the US site has only 2 and 1 respectively). Although the US website lists a ton more accessories.

Buying one from (in) the USA is a bit of a hassle, but one I might undertake if the model I decide I want is available there.

The prices listed on the Canadian Site are ridiculous compared to the US. But, I do know that Canadian Retailers have these mixers on sale regularly, and the top end models are often reduced by $ 100 or more. In the long run, I see this as an investment piece... something I hope will greatly add to my kitchen.

The Stand Mixers all come with a flat beater, a stainless steel wire whip and a C-dough hook.

Based on the Canadian info they are (in order of cost and power)

Classic - 4.5 Qt (8 Cups of Flour) 250 Watts, MSRP $ 370 CDN
Ultra - 4.5 Qt (8 Cups of Flour) 300 Watts, MSRP $ 429 CDN
Artisan - 5 Qt (9 Cups of Flour) 325 Watts, MSRP $ 470 CDN
Accolade - 5 Qt (9 Cups of Flour) 400 Watts, MSRP $ 530 CDN

Both the Artisan and the Accolade come with a Pour Shield

The Lift Bowl Mixers all come with a flat beater, a stainless steel wire whip and a spiral dough hook

Based on the Canadian info they are (in order of cost and power)

Professional 5 Plus Series - 5 Qt (12 Cups of Flour) 475 Watts, MSRP $ 630 CDN
Professional 600 Series - 6 Qt (14 Cups of Flour) 575 Watts, MSRP $ 680 CDN

The Professional 600 comes with a pour shield.

Accessories (all available in the USA, most available in Canada)
Food Grinder
Rotary Slicer / Shredder
Fruit / Vegetable Strainer
Pasta Extruder
Pasta Roller (and various Makers)
Ice Cream Maker
Sausage Stuffer
Can Opener
Juicer
Grain Mill

--- --- ---

Any feedback you'd be willing to offer would be most helpful.
Thanks.

2008 Feb 25
We've got the Professional 5 model, and have used the Artisan 5 mixer. Both are good, prefer the lift bowl model though. We don't have any of the attachments simply because we haven't needed any. It gets regular use (at least 1-2 times a week), is easy to maintain and clean, and is very rugged. We use it mainly for cookies, scones, various doughs. I wouldn't trade-up to another model since this one meets all of our needs.

Have heard the new Cuisinart 7-quart mixer (www.williams-sonoma.com) is amazing, though, according to the Cooks Illustrated review.

2008 Feb 25
I have the Professional HD model which is made specifically for Costco. It's 475 watts of screaming power!

www.costco.ca

About a year ago we sold our old Kitchen Aid (which was whatever Costco was selling 11 years ago) because it was only 275 watts and was not quite powerful enough to make 100% whole wheat bread. Even with the current model I once had it cut out on me after a lot of kneading. Fortunately it's designed to do that and will not cut back in until it cools off.

It gets quite a lot of use. I do have complaints about it though. With the fancy dual-orbital action I would expect to not have to scrape the sides of the bowl as much as I do. But invariably every singe time you mix something you have to stop it and scrape the bowl. It's not a big deal. But I do expect more from it than this.

We have the full attachment pack that was sold at Costco 11 years ago, as well. Grater, meat grinder, sausage stuffer, strainer. The mixer was a wedding gift, then 2 months later the attachments were an xmas gift from my in-laws (yes, the know we sold the other one but that was OK since we upgraded)

The only time I use the attachments is the grater for making sauerkraut. Though as I recall maybe last time I did not use it and did it by hand. In general I find the attachments clumsy because they are up so high. And in general it's just a PITA to haul it out, hook it up, and so on. Though really the only attachment that would get regular use is the grater. But it's just universally easier to use a hand grater.

The meat grinder and sausage stuff got a bit of use. Though I'm thinking of trying my hand at sausages again so it may start to get more use.

2008 Feb 25
I have a 450watt professional bowl life model from Costco. If you wait you can find usually a sale. Personally sometimes I find items from Costco have something a little bit wrong with them, like the mixer even if it is adjusted to the lowest setting possible (a screw that adjusts the attachements to go lower into the bowl) it still hardly gets near the bottom, so it's hard to make certain things because it doesn't go down far enough (also a toilet we bought there, the seat always shifts when u sit, and shoes we bought u could see leather patching on them..this is what I mean by something just a little bit wrong with each thing. I think they do the odd wattage so you can't compare prices to other places. I use it for pizza dough about 1-3 times a month and for cakes/batters 1-2 times month, and bought at another store the ice cream attachements which I love to use.

I personally don't like the bowl lift sometimes because you have to try to get a view in behind the bowl to make sure it it fits in properly...when I watch them on cooking shows with the other kind, it looks a lot easier. Also my package didn't come with the pouring shield, and it's kind of pricey to buy as an extra piece, but it would be really handy, because it's hard to get stuff into the bowl without making a mess. Also, the attachements that came with mine are NOT dishwasher safe, and when 'someone' accidently washes one in the dishwasher, it loses it's smooth coating and it's hard to get into place when the coating is gone for some reason.

2008 Feb 25
Speaking of Kitchenaid mixers, my SO whipped up a Guiness chocolate cake tonight using the KitchenAid mixer! Pictures & recipe to follow...

2008 Feb 25
I kid you not, I am still using my vintage Sunbeam Mixmaster. It may be circa 1950, but it still makes great cakes!

2008 Feb 25
As for grinding meat, I still have an old hand-crank meat grinder lol. I sure am cutting edge aren't I? lol

2008 Feb 25
Food Is Hot - LOL, My parents had one of those Mix Masters. It is in excellent condition, and I think it still works. This is sort of the fore-runner to today's Kitchenaid, if I recall correctly it had a juicer attachment that connected to the head (where that silver knob is), may even had a food grinder (my memory is a little foggy we're going back to the early 1960s here). This is the main reason I want a Kitchenaid it really is an investment piece.

BTW, I also remember those food grinders... my grandparents had one (ok, now I'm really ancient). But ya know what they say, sometimes the best things are the tried & true (and the simplist).

2008 Feb 25
But I want a mixer that has 'built-in obsolescence' ....so, when it breaks, I can get new one, in the latest trendy color.

Anyone for Apple Green ?

2008 Feb 26
I figure if I ever get married someone can buy one for me then :P

2008 Feb 26
I have the Artisan 325 Watt in silver (no apple green for me....). It was on sale at the Bay for about $250, and they had a grinder attachment included, which they were out of, so I got an extra bowl instead. It works just fine mixing dough for bread or pizza, it hasn't really slowed down or anything. I use it pretty much on a weekly basis. A friend of mine lent me her Ice Cream Maker attachment, and I must say I was underwhelmed for the price.

FiH, I also have a cutting edge hand-crank meat grinder, it's about 50 years old, and still works like a charm.

2008 Feb 26
I wish I could tell you which mixer I have. I'm such a lame foodie ;)

I'm pretty sure it's the Professional 5 Plus, and I'm saying that because I don't have the pour shield. Picked it up from MCL Hospitality for not-too-dear a price, bless their souls.

Would love to get the meat grinder attachment for it, but can't afford it yet. I really want to make my own burgers.

2008 Feb 26
Do you really need to make your own ground beef to make your own burgers?

I take all the other stuff and buzz it in my mini-chopper then mix it into pre-ground beef.

2008 Feb 26
I just wanted to say thank you for this thread. I'm in love with the Kitchenaid mixers and I'm dying to get one. I love how everyone's posted a review and the different models are broken down.

My parents had a Mixmaster as well, though not the ancient one picture here! I think the motor died on it a few years back. I'll have to see what they replaced it with.

2008 Feb 26
I don't *need* to make my own ground beef to make my own burgers, no no no. What I *do* want to do is grind my own beef so I can cook my burgers medium. Mmmmmm, juicy.

2008 Feb 26
Momomoto - I love how threads "weave" a great story... I hear you with the food grinder. I agree on the making your own hamburger, then you can use a better cut of beef and not have to worry about over-cooking to well done.

Nanook - I did this because there are so many models available, and it can be very confusing. I did the basic research on the web (and I have general idea of what I want) BUT I knew that the Foodies here would help me sort out the details, by telling me what works best for them, and inturn give me a better idea of what I should buy. I'll keep you posted

2008 Feb 26
I use my meat grinder to make vegetable or fruit relish most of the time (I usually just buy pre-packaged ground meat - so much easier). I prefer the texture that the meat grinder gives to relish because my food processor dices the pieces too small; the meat grinder gives nice chunky peices that sit nicely on a plate. I love Thanksgiving time because it means I get to make our traditional cranberry relish, and the cranberries make an awesome squishy 'pop' when they go through! Making the cranberry relish was always us kid's job growing up, so that pop holds special excitement and nostalgia for me :)

2008 Feb 26
I have a gray Artisan, my wife got it for me while we were still dating...... she is obviously a keeper.
I use it weekly for misc doughs, I even make dog treats in it from time to time. My most recent addition was the happy Ebay purchase of the meat grinder attachment along with the sausage stufers. Anyone care for some duck sausage? Homemade hamburger here I come.

2008 Feb 26
F&T: hear hear! All I want to use for my burger is meat, salt, and a cast-iron skillet. Dear GOD I'm getting hungry again.

2008 Feb 26
Hey Orleansfoodie.

Glad to hear you had a 'happy eBay purchase'.

Here is an example of just what's out there in the Kitchenaid market, here in Canada.

Take the Kitchenaid Professional 600™ Series 6 Quart (5.68 L) 575-Watt Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer .... Model 4KP26M1XLC (or KP26M1XLC in the US)

www.kitchenaid.ca

It lists for $680
The Home Outfitters have it for $699
C.A. Paradis has it , normally $699, 'on sale' for $599

And on the Canadian eBay site I saw two of them (new ones, not refurbished) sell, in February, for $386.30 and $301.51 INCLUDING shipping and valid warranty. If it's an out-of province sale, then it will be just GST and no PST. Making these even more attractive.

Too bad Costco doesn't carry this model, because the one they do carry, the Professional 5 Plus Series - 5 Qt (12 Cups of Flour) 475 Watts, MSRP $ 630 CDN, goes for $299.

Now I'm waiting for a Professional 5 Plus Series to come up on eBay Canada so I can buy it , and finally put this thing to rest.

2008 Feb 28
I have been wanting one for years but I can never seem to justify the cost. I did see a Classic model at Target in the U.S. a few years back on sale for around $150!

2008 Feb 28
MelodySoul - I find oftentimes the lower end Kitchenaid mixers (stand ones) go on sale, at a really good price (like $ 100 off). But the higher end don't, I guess they don't have to.

This weekend I plan to review this Post, and everyone's input and decide what I want to do. This is a purchase I've been thinking about for a really long time. Maybe I'll finally take the step.

2008 Feb 28
I've heard that if you buy a KitchenAid mixer in the USA, the warranty will not be honoured in Canada. I don't if there's any truth to that or not... though it's something to investigate if you plan on making that purchase south of the border.

2008 Feb 28
Hey Chimi.... one step ahead of ya...

I already called the Kitchenaid-Canada Customer Centre, the other day .... wait now ... they call their's 'The Customer Experience Centre ' (so I could say ' warranty included' in the prices I quoted. Even if the unit was coming from the US)

The first answer I got was ..... "Depends on the Kitchenaid product line." After a few minutes of clarification with his higher-ups, the 'Customer Experience Officer' assured me that they WILL honor the warranty on all mixer products bought by Canadians, in the US.

2008 Feb 28
Chimichimi - Yes, that is true of most appliances and electronics (be they small or large). I think it is a DUMB Rule, basically it has been put there by the large companies to cover-their-@ss in that they don't have to provide warranties / service. The companies say it is because of the differences in safety guidelines in our two countries (like the CSA - Canadian Standards Association).

It does serve two purposes for the large companies, first it is supposed to cut down on people who shop for bargains (including the internet).

That and the fact that they can therefore keep discrepancies in prices between countries... lets face it with today's CDN Dollar, there is no reason that there should be $$$ in differences.

So... you got to weigh the odds before you make these types of purchases in the USA. I probably wouldn't buy a KitchenAid south of the border because it is too important an item for me, and basically an investment piece.

2008 Feb 28
and ...

For longevity and bread making, I wouldn't look at any model with less than 475 Watts. For the models less than 475 Watts , can you say "Built-in Obsolescence" ? en.wikipedia.org

Even the Apple Green model has some Built-in Obsolescence for some. If they go with the trendy color, to go well with their trendy (new) kitchen; then remodel their kitchen (out of boredom and/or too much disposible income), They will have to get a new trendy color to match their newly remodelled trendy kitchen.

The old Apple Green one lands in the landfill, or makes someones day, at a Salvation Army Thrift Store ( A Sally-Anne).

2008 Feb 28
Food and Think... looks like we were posting at the same time.

Kitchenaid-Canada WILL honor the warranty on all mixer products bought by Canadians, in (or from) the US.

2008 Feb 28
CaptainC- Thanks for the info, that is good news! I am getting closer to a decision, and well this info, definitely will have an impact. I've started the "elimination" process, based on the feedback. I may have to mull this over some more (ie. save up longer) LOL

2008 Feb 29
Anyone need Kitchenaid pasta maker attachements ? for cheap cheap cheap ?

And the seller is in Ottawa, no shipping costs, just a bit of gas money or a few bus tokens.

cgi.ebay.com

2008 Mar 1
I have the Professional series mixer (5 quart, lift bowl) that I got from Costco a little over 5 years ago. Costco has a sale on the mixer at least once a year. Last fall, it was $100 off their regular price.

I generally use my mixer once or twice a month to make breads, cakes, pasta and the occasional meatloaf. Although I don't use it often, I do find that it's something that is really handy to have when I do use it. No regrets with owning this model. This thing is a workhorse and I've only managed to shut it down once when I was mixing a large amount of dough at a high speed (not recommended). The only recipe that I've had a problem with is a chocolate cake recipe that I have. When mixing at a higher speed, there is a fair amount of splashing out of the bowl which may be solved by the deeper bowl in the Professional 6 model. A minor thing and not enough of a reason for me to look at trading up. I'd also recommend going with the more traditional colors because this thing can last you a lifetime.

Attachments:
I have the 3-piece pasta attachment set which is great to use. My brother owns the meat grinder attachment and grinds his own ground beef to make hamburgers. And occasionally he will grind some meat up for me on request so that I can make some awesome hambugers too.

For those that find the scraping down of the bowl to be a pain, there are some silcone attachments that help with this (scrape-a-bowl and the sideswipe). This isn't a recommendation for either product since I've never used one. Plus the fact that there may be a warranty issue with KitchenAid if you use them because it would cause the motor to work harder. But they sure look cool!

2008 Mar 2
Ooh, thanks Cap'n! Nobody'd better outbid me ;)

2011 Jan 23
I picked up an old Mixmaster at a church sale for $5 and decided to give it a go today. I had disassembled, cleaned, oiled and set it aside so it was ready to go. It worked really well and now the whole kitchen smells like like I remember it as a child. There's just something about that sound of the whirring motor and the distinct smell that takes me back to being 5 years old again. Oh, that and licking the beaters.

I made a cheesecake, so we'll see how that turns out. I defrosted the last of the summer strawberries last night, so I'm good to go.

2011 Jan 23
I have the professional 600 in Black and love it, but it's true that you do have to scrape the bowl down with a spatula. I noticed last time I was at Paradis that they are selling a third party blade that has a spatula edge that I might buy someday. I have the pouring shield, but I still find that it is very difficult to add things in while the machine is running. I've found that pouring flour down that shield can be a messy proposition.

I don't always have the mixer on the counter, as it is huge, but when it's out, I do tend to use it more. With the whisk, it will do perfect egg whites or whipped cream in short order and cleanup is easy. My cream consumption goes way up when the kitchenaid is handy.

I like the grinder attachment and together with the sausage stuffer you can have a lot of fun doing your own combinations of things. I'm less thrilled with the shredder slicer, and prefer to use a cuisinart for this unless I have to deal with quantities too large for the work bowl of my cuisinart. A friend of mine has the pasta maker and she loves it.

Another friend has the Cuisinart mixer and she loves it. Nice thing about the cuisinart is that it has a digital automatic timer.

2011 Jan 24
I have the professional 600 series. One thing to note that the bowl is sometimes too big. Maybe you can buy seperate smaller bowls? When I make a single batch of something (pizza dough for example), you have to stop it and mix the stuff in by hand because it doesn't go all the way to the bottom. Also, same is true for whipping stuff. Has to have a certain volume or it doesn't work. Something to keep in mind! :)

2011 Jan 25
For those having beater-to-bowl clearance issues, you may be happy to know that one aspect of the clearance is adjustable. Kitchenaid makes available a screw that you can use to set proper clearance.

This may not solve all of your issues, but a beater that is too high or too low will certainly cause a) wear or b) poor scraping.

Just youtube "adjust kitchenaid mixer" and follow the simple directions for either the tilt-head or bowl-lift models..

I hope this helps!