News from Beau's Beer [Food/Vendor]

2008 Feb 20
Good News for all you Beau's Beer Fans...

I was recently out at the Brewery (pickin up some jugs), when I heard that they are in FINAL negotiations with the LCBO to get Lug-Tread into some Eastern Ontario LCBO Stores, including as many as 10 in Ottawa. As per their website the LCBO has just ordered a sample from the "first run" this is beer that Beau's guarantees to be part of the delivery. So we should hear any day now about the launch at the LCBO.

Also on the Beau's website www.beaus.ca you can find a list of where Lug-Tread is served in Eastern Ontario (from Hawkesbury in the East, to now Kingston in the West).

There is also exciting news about an upcoming release, (will first only be available at the Brewery) this one is a "dirty brown ale" again with a name to honour Eastern Ontario. Beau's All Natural Bog Water... LOL, ya gotta love these guys they really are fun.

2008 Feb 20
Bog Water is brewed with Bog Myrtle instead of hops - I'm anxious to try it!

2008 Feb 20
I hope that Bog Water is out soon. Like real soon. We're planning on heading down there this weekend. I'm quite excited, since I've had Lug-Tread at Pub Italia before and really liked it. They do look like they have a lot of fun, so the tour should be interesting!

Does anybody have any recommendations for lunch down in Vankleek Hill?

2008 Feb 20
Momomoto - The Ontario Craft Brewers website suggests The Granary Swiss Restaurant & Wine Pub. Haven't been there so I don't have much info other than what I got off the web, they may be somewhat pricey for lunch. I know there is the Trillium Tea Room as well. If I recall (it's been years) they do sandwiches and such.

Best bet may just to ask for a suggestion when you get to the Brewery.... they all are so nice and helpful there.

2008 Feb 20
And Momomoto, if you *do* go to The Granary Swiss Restaurant, make sure you tell us about it! I'm envisioning a perfect gem of a place, to be used as a dinner destination for family road trips. Introduce the kids to some Swiss heritage and all that... :-)

2008 Feb 20
Oooh, that sounds interesting. I'll put it to committee. Apparently there's a good chip wagon in Alfred that we have to hit up as well.

2008 Feb 20
BTW, Bog Water is available right now at the brewery.

2008 Feb 20
Momomoto - You are of course referring to the Best Fries in Canada... they can be found at the Kennebec Restaurant (a real misnomer, because they are neither a chip wagon nor a restaurant). Kennebec can be found on the main drag thru Alfred at 472 Philippe Street. An Alfred institution since 1957.

They might however be closed (not sure) I remember in past years they would close over the winter. What a life, make your money in the summertime, vacation in the wintertime!

Anyhow, if you should be lucky enough to find them open, the fries and "steamies" are so good you'll want to pig out. But be ware, you might have to have some restraint and share... otherwise you'll never be able to eat again in VanKleek Hill.

2008 Feb 20
I was talking to the new owners of The Elmdale House Tavern last night, when I was there playing my blues harp (harmonica) at the Tuesday nite Blues Jam.

ottawafoodies.com/vendor/1274

They tell me that they are getting the BogWater soon.

They currently have Beau's LugTread on tap. mmmmmmmmmmmm LugTread !!

They also have some products from Heritage Brewery. Lager and a dark ale, I believe.

2008 Feb 20
CaptainC - Have you tried beer from the 3rd Eastern Ontario Brewery... Barley Days in Picton? "The Man" discovered them in 2006 during a Taste Weekend in the county. He enjoys them as well.

2008 Feb 20
I was out at a pub tonight that serves Beau's on Tap. The Manager showed me a "promo" item that the Beau's Beer Rep dropped off recently... a 750 ml bottle. Its hard to describe, but it is sort of a ceramic bottle with a cork / swing stopper (like you get on finer oils or vinegars). The bottle has the Beau's Beer logo and the "type" of beer is idetified by the cardboard business card tied around the neck of the bottle (the cording reminds me of binder twine, so perfect LOL). I'm guessing this might be something from the new LCBO Release. It would afterall make sense releasing the beer in a smaller format, afterall not everyone wants "that freakin jug". I'm guessing this might be "it" because (a) its smaller (b) the bottle only identifies Beau's All Natural Brewing Co., so they can bottle any of their future beers into this bottle, (c) by releasing it to the Pubs first as a promo item, the Pubs can display it thereby creating more buzz about the upcoming release, and (c) with the new Ontario Bottle Refund program they would be able to recoup the bottles / or cost of.

I can't wait for the release at the LCBO, this is one fun company to be supporting, good product, good marketing, and a whole lot of fun!

2008 Feb 21
Man, I have my work cut out for me! So many choices! What'll probably happen is that we'll check to see if Kennebec is open first, and head to The Granary if it isn't. I have the feeling that we'll want to eat on the cheap side. And I can't say no to a hot dog. Haven't had one of those since the summer.

2008 Feb 21
Has anyone found Bog Water on tap yet in Ottawa?
I would love to try it.

2008 Feb 21
Downtown Diner - My understanding is that Beau's is very busy getting ready for their upcoming LCBO release. According to their Website, they've listed the Bog Water Brew as Coming Soon (and also call it their first seasonal beer). Although, Zymurgist says they have some at the Brewery. I was at the Brewery back around Christmas, it isn't a very big operation, in the past they've actually run out of beer trying to keep up to demand... so I'm thinking this LCBO deal has them stretched to the max.

As per Momomoto's post he will be making a "beer run" over the weekend, I hope he comes back with some more news.

2008 Feb 22
Based on the info in today's Ottawa Citizen (Thursday, February 21st) Beau's has a limited release of Bog Water in 750 ml. ceramic bottles at the brewery. So maybe what I saw last night at a local pub is the new Bog Water Beer.

For more info on Bog's release in Ottawa see the Forum topic "Hot Off the Press"

2008 Feb 22
Hey Everyone,

Bruce Wood let me know about this discussion going on...First off let me give a big "awwww shucks", I'm glad you are enjoying the LugTread and second, here is where you can find BogWater:

Wellington GastroPub (on tap)
Black Tomato (on tap)
Benitz Bistro (750ml bottle)
Cheshire Cat (bottles)

Further out:
BlueBerry Hill Bistro (on tap)
Packenham Ski Resort(on tap)
Ballygiblins (bottles)

The Elmdale Tavern might be taking some soon as well. There would be more places, but we can only supply BogWater in squat 30L kegs (LugTread is selling so much we're having a tough time keeping enough kegs in stock) and many restaurants simply can't fit these goofy-sized kegs in their fridge.

Cheers,

Steve Beauchesne

2008 Feb 22
Hey Steve....

You said : "LugTread is selling so much we're having a tough time keeping enough kegs in stock"

What a great problem to have !!

Congrats on the LugTread success.... then again, I may have had a small part to play in it ;-)

Thanks for the BogWater 'availability list".

Looks like I'm off to the Wellington GastroPub tonite for a good dose of the 'ol BogWater.

PS: I'm the Elmdale patron that was lobbying for the BogWater there.... also had the taster coupon idea. Just soldiering on....

2008 Feb 22
To Food&Think... Thanks for the follow up. I look forward to hearing about Momomoto's trip to the brewery as well.

And to Steve B... Great to see you here, and thanks so much for the list. I'll have to follow Captain Caper's example and head out to try some Bog Water.

2008 Feb 23
Bog Water is now on Tap at The Elmdale House Tavern, and I must say, quite a delicious brew it is!
Cheers, Nat

2008 Feb 23
What are your hours on Sunday? :-)

2008 Feb 24
As I said in an earlier post, I was off to the Wellington GastroPub for a pint of the new BogWater..... Well yes they had it BUT it was not hooked up to any of their beer taps, yet. They are waiting for one to free up.

Oh well .... so I trodded down to the Elmdale to drown my sorrows and low and behold .... guess whats on the new Elmdale's beer tap ?? Yes, the elusive BogWater.

My review can be found here. ottawafoodies.com/vendor/1433

2008 Feb 24
I went to the Black Tomato yesterday where I enjoyed my first pint (ok, first two pints) of Bog Water. Captain Caper and Brian MC have already written some good reviews. I'll just say that I think the use of bog myrtle gives this flavourful brew a very nice aroma while limiting bitterness. I think I've discovered my new, favourite Ottawa beer. Great work, Beau's folks!

2008 Feb 24
So we piled into the car yesterday to head off to Vankleek Hill (apparently the 'k' is silent?) and see the operation at Beau's. Laura gave us a tour and then we got to have our first taste of Bog Water. Very distinctive, and definitely a beer that eats like a meal. Spicy and chocolatey without being overwhelming.

While Kennebec is indeed closed for the winter, we were able to get so-gross-but-so-good all-dressed whistle dogs and poutine at . . . ah, crap. Some other place along the main drag in Alfred. Starts with an 'L'.

Wicked road trip for a Saturday. Will definitely do it more often, and when the weather gets nice enough to eat by the locks we'll probably head out to Heritage, too!

2008 Feb 25
zymurgist
Sorry I missed your post before Sunday...Hope you made it in! Hours on Sunday are noon to 11pm.

2008 Feb 25
Well after all the "chatter" here about pilgrimages to VanKleek Hill, "The Man" and I couldn't resist and we too made it an outing this weekend. We had a nice chat with Steve, and had our first taste of the new Bog Water. Ended up buying 3 Jugs (2 Lug Tread and 1 Bog Water).

LATEST LCBO NEWS - Steve said that due to Government Red Tape, the Release is probably still a week or two away.

Momomoto - Sorry that Kennebec was closed... just consider it another excuse for a Spring Road Trip to the Brewery!

2008 Feb 27
Great News!!! I got a call back from the LCBO and its looking like we'll be entered into the system on Thursday and we're planning our first delivery for Tuesday, March 4.

Extra info the extra hold up was our tamper-proof label wasn't ripping the way its supposed to.

2008 Feb 27
"our tamper-proof label wasn't ripping the way its supposed to."

Yeeeesh ..... Bureau-craps !!!

2008 Mar 16
Well... it's official Beau's Lug Tread Beer is in the LCBO. Ok, not every LCBO, but a fair number of Ottawa locations. The first deliveries were made on Tuesday, March 4th. And I'm guessing that much of what was taken in, has already SOLD OUT. Congratulations Steve!

The following info comes from the Beau's Blog:

March 4th LCBO Deliveries made to:
VanKleek Hill, Hawkesbury, Plantagenet and St. Isidore
Ottawa Stores: Rideau, Bank & Walkley, Richmond & Kirkwood, Carling & Woodroffe, College Square, Nepean Crossroads (Hunt Club), Innes & 10th Line, Kanata Centrum.
as well as Kingston (3 locations)

Only Lug Tread is currently available at the LCBO, and in the new 750 ml swing-top bottles ($ 7.45 + .20 cent deposit). The JUGS of both Lug Tread & Bog Water are available at the Brewery in VanKleek Hill ($ 15 and $ 18 respectively).

The Beerstore ONLY takes back the 750 ml bottles of Lug Tread at this time and pays you .20 cents for their return. WHILE the Brewery will pay you $ 2.00 for returning the 750 ml bottle, and $ 4.00 for the Jug.

Just another reason to make the drive (1 hour 15 minutes). The Brewery Store is open Saturday thru Wednesday 10 AM to 5 PM, and Thursday & Friday 10 AM to 7 PM.

2008 Mar 17
I picked up 4 swing-top bottles from the LCBO near Richmond/Kirkwood on the weekend. They're already gone and were very delicious. I was impressed with the quality control.

2008 Mar 17
That's good to know about the returns, I was wondering whether to return them to the Beer Store or not.

I picked up a couple at Kanata Centrum on Sunday and the cashier mentioned that they were pretty popular and going fast.

2008 Mar 17
I'll give you $1 for each empty

2008 Mar 18
Lug Tread is served at The Cottage & a Kitchen across the street from Tunney's on Parkdale Ave, for all those public servants looking for a locally brewed pint.

2008 Mar 19
I'll up my offer to $2 / bottle for your empty Beau's. I'll even come get them depending where you are. LMK

2008 Mar 19
LOL, Zymurgist it is quite apparent now that you are just looking for an excuse to make a trip out to the Brewery. (I'm thinking ya could have got more nibbles if you'd just gone to $ 1.50 and in the end you would have made a little cash for gas).

2008 Mar 19
No, I just want the bottles because I have a batch of beer to bottle and would like to use them for that. My batch is 23L - 19L goes into a keg, and the other 4L into bottles.

2008 Mar 22
I was just picking up my first ever Beau's Lug Tread at the LCBO today and one of the people working there explained to me that Beau's is running out of stock. It isn't the beer they're running out of, but the bottles! They're experiencing demand 1400% greater than expected and now they have nowhere to put the beer.

So the message from Beau's and the LCBO is to return the bottles as quickly as you can... :-)

2008 Mar 22
As nice as those bottles are, I hope they eventually release it in the standard beer bottles. The Lugtread would made a nice everyday beer, but not if it only comes in the large bottles.

And speaking of beer, the LCBO is also carrying Rogue Brutal Bitter, which I'm enjoying as I type this...not local but really good.

2008 Mar 25
Inkling - Unfortunately, the day you probably see the regular bottles, is the day that Beau's Beer will have changed... I would hate to see them "sell out" to the establishment. Being different, (and making good beer) is what sets them apart.

2008 Mar 25
I don't see it as a "sell out" since it happened in Ottawa before, there was a brewery on Colonade road (I forget the name) but they had nice flip top bottles and actually overextended themselves in buying bottle stock and closed shop. If going to a regular bottle means we keep a local craft brewery opened, I'm all for it 'cause in the end, it's just bottle.

2008 Mar 25
I'm also not sure I'd agree with that (selling out, that is); a lot of great micros (including ones I'd rate higher than Beau's) offer their beer in the smaller (12 oz / 330 ml) sized bottles. I realise that they're still pretty small (the company that is, not the bottle) and that it would be more expensive to bottle in multiple sizes, but as they grow I hope they offer a choice. If homebrewers hoard their bottles, they may not have a choice!

2008 Mar 26
I too hope they don't go to regular size bottles . I find that some small craft brewers suffer from consistency issues with their product in this format. The current bottles are so nice and thick and protecting all that good beer inside. :)

2008 Mar 26
Wow, you guys are suckers for punishment! 750ml for $7.50 is pretty expensive. The beer would be significantly cheaper in regular bottles, and it is extremely unlikely that quality would suffer in any way.

Of course, it's all moot for me since I brew my own and rarely buy beer. In fact, the Koelsch style of beer - of which Lugtread is one example - is my speciality.

2008 Mar 26
I agree that the current price is expensive.

You say you rarely buy beer so maybe the problem isn't as noticeable to you but I've had my fair share of "off" 6-packs from the LCBO. Granted, there could be a number of contributing factors above and beyond the choice of bottle but sitting under those glaring LCBO lights all day long can't be good.

It just seems to me (I know, dangerous) that the current bottles would do a better job of protection.

2008 Mar 26
No, the bottle would not protect any better at all. I know what you mean about off bottles, but that's normally a shelf-life thing - sitting there too long. It also has a lot to do with the bottling technology employed and whether or not it evacuates the air first, how it fills, etc.

One example - at a local brew-on-premise that my buddy goes to, the bottling technique they used is pretty low-grade. In the homebrew world we call it a "cheap bastard bottle filler" (CBBF) and it creates a serious oxydation problem so that the beer really only keeps a month or so before it starts going off. I know this is the problem because I've gone to the same BOP but have kegged my beer instead of bottled it. I have no issues at all with the beer that I keg.

2008 Mar 26
Thanks for the info, zym... makes sense. Hopefully if Beau's goes to regular bottles they'll use the best bottling technology around. :)

2008 Mar 26
I'm guessing they'd use the same one they use for those big bottles

2008 Mar 27
I have yet to see Beau's on the shelf! I guess I'll suffice by buying it at the local pub/tavern... :( Or maybe I'll go to the brewery myself this weekend, who knows.

2008 Mar 27
The LCBO website allows you to locate the inventory of any product they carry; it's pretty handy. Looks like Bank St. (south of Walkley) and Kanata Centrum are the two best stocked places in the city, but there are a bunch of others in town as well. I still need to try the Bog Water myself, so that requires a trip to the pub or the brewery.

2008 Mar 30
So we finally managed to make it out to the brewery this weekend. After stating that I'd prefer smaller bottles, I found it ironic that they had completely sold out of the 750 ml bottles, and I could only buy Growlers (1.89 litre jugs). Serves me right - now the top shelf of the fridge is half filled with jugs of beer (there are worse things...). Anyway, finally got to taste the Bog Water and found it excellent. The Bog Water is a seasonal beer and it sounded like they were close to finishing the 'season', so if you want to try it I'd suggest getting to a pub or the brewery soon. They should be back in stock of the 750 ml bottles.

2008 Apr 1
Ok, I for one realise that due to demand eventually we'll probably see Beau's in the smaller bottles... but I am hoping that means that the Brewery hasn't SOLD OUT to one of the nationals. I've seen that happen before, and well even though the big guy buys the name, the beer changes... it just never is the same.

As for cheaper...

Beer at the LCBO will always cost you more than Beer direct from the Brewery (price per ml), and that will be especially so as the bottle gets smaller. So in the longrun the cheapest alternative is to buy it in the Swingtop Bottles and the Jugs. And don't forget if you return your bottles to the Brewery, you'll get a better refund on your deposit.

2008 Apr 1
Cheapest is to buy it in the keg.

Doesn't everyone have a keg fridge at home that fits 4 kegs?

:-)

2008 Apr 1
LOL, Zym - I hear Beau's will "keg you" for parties, weddings etc. All ya gotta do is ask.

Isn't small town Ontario wonderful!

2008 Apr 10
Beau's was featured in the Ottawa Citizen today in their "100 Mile" Column (Life Section, Page F6) www.canada.com

I hear thru the grapevine, that since the LCBO release early in March the boys at the Brewery have been working flat out and only grabbing a couple of hours (literally) sleep each night to keep up with demand. And I guess they have basically had to limit the LCBO Outlets that are selling their product on the number of cases each store can order (the beer was so popular in the first days that the stores doubled and tripled their orders). Lets hope they can get some financing together soon (be it their own, or a generous Beau's drinker) and purchase the automatic filling machine that they need to get the job done more efficiently.

As I said this info came thru the grapevine, I usually get my info from the Beau's Blog that Steve writes, but as evidence that things have been so hectic lately, it doesn't have any April entries (last one was March 25th).

Sure hope they know we are all cheering for them!

2008 Apr 10
I already told steve that if they ever go public or otherwise come up with a way for me to invest within my RRSP, I've got lots of money to give him :-)