Serving Kids Wine Raises Eyebrows [General]

2008 Feb 19
From today's Chronicle Herald online. FYI in Ontario it's perfectly legal for a parent to serve their child alcohol in their own home.

---snip---

Serving kids wine raises eyebrows
Some say starting young OK, others worry about consequences

By VICTORIA BRETT
The Associated Press
Malia Llerena happily sips Chardon­nay, Zinfandel, Champagne and Merlot. She knows red wine goes in the larger glasses and Champagne gets the long, skinny flutes.
Of course, she can identify a cork­screw. After all, she’s five years old.
“We’re a gourmet family," says her father, Patrick Llerena, who owns bou­tique California winery Iridesse Wines. “Educating her about wine is a part of life training. I’m not advocating it for everyone, but it is part of our life." As American foodie culture has evolved, parents like Llerena have adopted the southern European cus­tom of offering young children small amounts of wine, hoping to remove the forbidden fruit appeal and teach an ap­preciation for fine dining.
Many parents and health officials are appalled by the practice, citing con­cerns about alcohol’s effect on develop­ing brains. And the American Acade­my of Pediatrics warns that giving chil­dren any amount of alcohol is a poor parenting choice, pointing out that the substance is a neurological toxin.
Proponents argue more harm comes from diets of processed foods and soda pop than from a few sips of wine.
There is no evidence the practice is widespread, but it certainly exists, some food experts say.
“I wouldn’t label it a trend, but I do hear about it at school," says Einav Ge­fen, a chef and instructor at the Insti­tute of Culinary Education in Manhat­tan. Gefen teaches cooking classes to parents, children and career chefs and has three children under the age of six. Among Gefen’s parenting peers, she says giving small amounts of wine is not uncommon. “It is done in good taste and not on a regular basis — maybe with fancier meals," she adds.
Parents say they consider the prac­tice educational.
“The proud parent in me would hope she would become knowledgeable about wine and be able to isolate fla­vours," says Llerena, who claims his daughter’s first sentence was “May I have more Champagne, please?"
“We also know enough about dangers inherent in drinking that we aren’t go­ing to give her a full glass of wine," says Llerena. In fact, her wine is often wa­tered down. “It’s not like we’re giving her shots of tequila!"
But alcohol is a neurological toxin, says Janet Williams, chairwoman of the American Academy of Pediatrics’ Substance Abuse Committee; it can ad­versely affect a child’s developing brain.
“You could be affecting a child’s in­telligence and ability to function in the world," she warns. It isn’t clear wheth­er young children accustomed to drink­ing wine will develop a dangerous hab­it as a teen or adult, she says.
“People can become connoisseurs of alcohol as adults. It’s not something that you get better at because you start­ed at three or 13," she says, There also is the issue of how to say no to children who develop a taste for wine. That was the case with 21-month-old Summer Sorensen of Chesterfield, Mass. Her parents used to give her a tiny amount of wine with din­ner. Until she started demanding it. Now she has water in her wineglass.
But Llerena, the winery owner, isn’t worried that serving Malia wine will adversely affect her growing brain. There are other things in childhood to worry about. “Malia chewing on her Chinese toy is going to be worse than that," he says.
‘We also know enough about dangers inherent in drinking . . . It’s not like we’re giving her shots of tequila!’
PATRICK LLERENA
Father, winery owner

2008 Feb 19
My parents gave me shots of tequila and I turned out just fiiiiine! LOL

2008 Feb 19
BTW, the practice is common in France and Sweden, and both have higher average IQs than Canadians (according to Wikipedia, at least)

2008 Feb 19
I was always allowed to try the wine - and I didn't even like it until I was older anyways lol; by the time I was about 15 I was allowed to have a glass myself. On Christmas Eve specifically my sister and I were each given a whole small glass of blackberry brandy before bed - this was tradition, and it had the added advantage of "helping us get to sleep" (sneeky sneeky parents lol). I personally think it is not a bad idea to introduce your children to the idea of casual drinking with dinner so that they don't get the impression that alcohol is only good for getting drunk as a skunk and then going nuts when they turn 18. Of course I don't have children so my opinion is moot.....

2008 Feb 20
OK, someone turn me in! My ex was European, you know the land of milk & honey vs. the land of too much money! From about 5 or 6 onwards our kids were offered wine with the holiday meals (Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas). Just a thimble full basically, and well it was always looked at, sniffed, sipped and turned down. There was also the small glass of champagne offered at New Years from the time they could actually stay awake until midnight. Again it sounnded good, but never really amounted to much. Kids are now in their 20s, no one drinks too much, and wine especially isn't such a big thing. I on the other hand lived in a tea-tottling household, and I have to say I love wine. LOL, my ex lived in a family filled with drinkers, and guess what he is a big drinker. I'm not sure what the bottom line here is, but I'm ok with how I turned out and how I raised my kids.

2008 Feb 20
My siblings and I would try it occasionally growing up, but there wasn't a whoole lot of wine in the house, my parents didn't really start drinking wine until the last decade or so, mostly on my encouragement. I do recall hjaving sparkling grape juice on new year's eve, while the adults would drink proper champagne.

A few years ago, my wife and I were at a nice restaurant in Montreal, and spied a boy, probably about 12 years old, with his parents, all dressed nicely, enjoying a bit of wine with his parents. It was just an inch or so in his glass, but I was amazed watching him swirl it, and smell it. WHile I was surprised to see it in a restaurant, we both thought it was great to educate him while he's still young.

2008 Feb 20
F&T: It's funny, because things worked out the same way for me. I was (I think) able to have wine [i]ad libitum[/i] through my childhood, but I didn't really get a feel for the taste or the experience or anything until I was of legal drinking age anyway.

And now I can't stop! ;)

2008 Feb 20
Question: How do you get a teenager to do something (or be interseted in doing something) ???

Answer: You tell them they are NOT ALLOWED to do it.

Thus the alco-pop industry.

If we, as parents, gave our youth a healthy view of alcohol consumption, then the "Forbidden Fruit" would not be so attractive.

My 1.98735 US cents

2008 Feb 20
As far back as I can remember, I was allowed to have a sip from my Dad's beer at night. As I got older the sips got bigger and bigger but I've never had a drinking problem.

2008 Feb 21
The only time my parents didn't allow me to try wine or beer at the dinner table was when they had something they didn't want to share :-) A practice they attempt to continue to this day, by the way.

2008 Feb 21
Is that an actual picture of you Downtown Diner? If so, I absolutely adore your beard :)

2008 Feb 22
Hey now, this is ottawafoodies not ottawasingles!

:-)

EDIT : I'm sure Pete's already started growing a beard like that ...

2008 Feb 23
Am not!

2008 Feb 24
Thank you, FOOD is HOT!. That is possibly the nicest online compliment I have ever received. Alas, the picture is not mine, nor is the beard. :-)

2008 Feb 24
Not your image ???

So who is this Long-John-Baldry-esque guy ?