Community Canning [General]

2008 Feb 18
On the biznet on early morning CBC today I heard about a place in Saskatoon which allows you to go in and prepare your own freezer meals on a large-scale basis, with tried-and-true recipes.

during the depression there used to be community canners for this purpose, which of course were closely connected with 'gleaning' if any of you are familiar with that. but they were not for profit

this place apparently lets you prepare 10 or more meals at about 5 to 6 bucks a meal. it seems there are hundreds of such places across north america.

2008 Feb 18
Zym, there's a similar service like that out in the east end where families can go, prepare a week's worth of food with others, pack it all up in tupperware and take it home. They split the cost of ingredients, prep space, etc... I'll try and get the info on this from my coworker who mentioned it to me.

My family used to do this when I was a kid with the ukrainian and greek neighbours, they'd sit around and make stuffed peppers, cabbage rolls, pierogies, souvlaki, baklava, etc... en masse, and split it up. In turn we'd supply them with game meats, wild fowl, fresh fish, etc. It worked out very well since we were pretty poor!