Gena's Peanut Butter Balls [Recipes]

2019 Dec 29
Me ol' mum's recipe - looks like I did not have it on here already. My mom's been dead for 10 years now and used to send me a tin of these every Xmas, and wonderfully enough my mother in law has taken it upon herself to send me one since my own my has passed away.

Genas Peanut Butter Balls

Stolen from UrbanHippy.ca - now defunct but in the wayback machine

For years up until she passed away a few years ago, my mom would send us a big container of Peanut Butter Balls at Christmas time, because they were always one of my favorite treats that she made. And in later years it was also an extra incentive for her that one of my sons loved them as much as I did (the other is not so big on peanut butter)
Here is her recipe - we made it with pecans instead of walnuts - and I think it was a good change.

Filling

1 cup nuts ( 100g ), crushed smallish
1 cup icing sugar
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup crisp rice cereal
1 tablespoon butter

Mix this all together well in a bowl and then form into balls of whatever size you like. My mother tended to make them really enormous but they were a bit overwhelming even for someone like me with a major sweet tooth, so we make them on the small side and find it better that way.

Coating

Melt 175g chocolate together in a sauce pan with 1/4 bar of paraffin wax. If you are not experienced at doing this carefully right on the burner in a pot, then you should use a double boiler.

Use a fork to pick up a ball and roll it around in the melted chocolate, and then remove it from the pot. I don't mean to stick it with the fork - put the fork under it when picking it out so that all the excess chocolate can run away.

Drop them onto wax paper and allow to cool. Once they are cool they can be put into a container.

2019 Dec 30
Thanks a million!

2019 Dec 30
Please be sure to use food grade paraffin wax. That's the one made with palm oil derivatives and found in grocery stores, as opposed to the paraffin used to make candles, which is a petroleum byproduct. 🕯

Personally I'd try to skip the culinarily and ethically undesirable wax in favour of tempering the chocolate so it hardens properly or rolling the soft-chocolate coated balls in coconut flakes or graham crumbs.

These do sound addictive!

2019 Dec 30
Pretty sure mom always just used regular parrafin wax which is food grade in that it won't kill you in small amounts :-) . But yeah I'd probably skip that too these days ...

Next time I make them I'm going to try rice krispies instead of the nuts too.

2019 Dec 30
Please use the following thread for discussions of Parrafin Wax

Forum - Parrafin Wax