The break in and vandalism at Ola Cocina [Food/Vendor]

2019 Oct 29
Ola Cocina

Is anyone else saying "hmmmm" on this one?

Wasn't this the place that opened up a second official/unofficial location in Hintonburg and then the whole place went down in a blaze of fury with a whole bunch of other drama between the original location owner and the proprietor of the new location that went down in flames?

Based on what we see in the news with all the vandalism that took place today this really sounds personal.

2019 Oct 29
Seems like it a run-of-the-mill break-in to me. Seems really dumb if it was a personal beef from Ion Aimers breaking in and throwing cleaning products around. That whole thing has long been settled; I doubt there's any bad blood that would cause him or a crony to break into the place and throw the safe in the fryer. It's just a dumb break-in.

2019 Oct 29
Wow is that the kind of shit dirt bags do in routine robberies these days?

I dunno it still seems funny to me. And in the interview today Donna said something funny and it made me go "hmmmmm". I don't recall the exact words but she was asked whether she knows of anyone who might have a reason to do something like this first she said "no" but then 2 seconds later she qualified herself and said something like (and again I don't recall the exact words) "at least not in that way"

Maybe it was totally nothing. Maybe it was something but not a previous owner of that other place but a regular customer of it or something nutty like that. Or maybe as you said it is just dirt bag vandals.

2019 Oct 29
The Go Fund Me site: www.gofundme.com/f/ola-cocina

2019 Oct 29
Coincidently, a Mexican place is opening in a week, one block from Ola. . . . . . .

2019 Oct 30
Why does everything have to have a gofundme attached to it? Isn't this what insurance is for?

2019 Oct 30
I don't believe the money starts flowing from insurance right away... and in this case there would be an investigation as well so they probably need to clean up and dispose of stuff and that would cost money.

Hearing the details of what they did on CBC was pretty shocking and it was clearly done out of hate and with a desire to cripple the business.

Why they didn't have surveillance cameras is beyond me... maybe they did and aren't disclosing that fact but I thought that most business had cameras at this point.

2019 Oct 30
Okay, so maybe there's a need for some sort of "goloanme" service. I guess people are more charitable than I am, but there are greater needs that could use the charity instead.

2019 Oct 30
This is a little fishy to me. There have been many other break ins in the city at restaurants, but none like this that I know of. I'm thinking it was a disgruntled current or former employee, they certainly knew their way around the place. Does the owner not have an alarm system in place? Perhaps not, and perhaps the people who broke in knew this. I doubt Aimers would be behind this, he's more calculated than that. It could also just be random idiots, the restaurant is in Vanier after all. Either way, I hope this doesn't happen again once Ola Cocina gets back up and running.