Rideau Bakery [General]

Jul 10
Wasn't sure if it should go in the "openings" or "closings" thread, but looks like Farm Boy is stepping in.

www.farmboy.ca

Jul 10
I had the same debate, but hey, this is pretty cool of farm boy.

Jul 10
I was just going to share this but Ratty beat me to it ;) I hope Farm Boy continues to bake the same breads and pastries that Rideau Bakery did.

Jul 10
> this is pretty cool of farm boy^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HSobeys

If it were still Farm Boy I would think it was pretty cool too.

Now that Sobeys owns them I am thinking more sinister thoughts.

The report I heard is that Farm Boy i.e. Sobeys bought the equipment and is keeping one bakery open long enough until they can build their own Kosher bakery. Once that is done we'll see whether this was cool or sinister. I'm leaning towards sinister.

Jul 11
this is smart. grab the assets for next to nothing, get tends of thousands of dollars in free publicity, keep it going then close it down.

Jul 11
Building a kosher bakery is not a trivial matter by my understanding. If they are going to the trouble of doing that then they must believe there is a longterm demand to be met. They are pretty clear they are buying the assets but not the storefronts and the existing bakery is only going to be open for six-ish months. If they have the recipes and many of the employees and the products are the same, or comparable, then I guess it's preferable to the alternative. I did not hear of anyone else stepping up to the plate.

Jul 11
My issue is now the products will only be available at Farm Boy stores as opposed to many grocery stores across the city. Farm Boy isnít accessible to everyone. And itís pricier than other grocery stores- not everyone can afford to do all their shopping there. It will add an extra stop for people. If they are close to a Farm Boy at all.

Jul 11
Rideau Bakery was was far from cheap, had two locations and a handful of places that carried their products.

Farm Boy has about 12 Ottawa locations and a similar price point.

It will likely be as accessible and affordable as it ever was.

Jul 12
There's an odd dearth of kosher eating places in Ottawa.

Jul 12
I miss Kardish's on Wellington.
[insert sad face emoji]

Jul 12
I miss Kardish's on Wellington too, grew up eating that smoked meat...fond childhood memories.
Ottawa has never had good smoked meat since then.

Aug 7
Rideau Bakery bread is now available at Farm Boy.

Aug 7
Anyone here into the sandwiches at Sherwood Deli? I wonder if they switched off Rideau Bakery egg bread for their sammies.

If ask me, Ottawa is ripe for the return of a proper deli. Not just smoked meat brought in from Montreal but something made here.

Aug 7
Since we're on the topic, the best smoked meat in Ottawa (and perhaps it'd be heresy for me to say it's better than a certain Montreal smoked meat) can be found at Seed to Sausage.

The qualifier is that it's sliced and over the counter. They did introduce a sandwich menu pretty recently but I don't recall seeing smoked meat as one of the options.

Aug 8
We'd put off visiting Sherwood Deli until they got the egg bread back. We went a couple of times and it just wasn't the same.