"Bring your own drinks" places? [General]

2008 Feb 8
Hello everyone! I think I once saw a place in Ottawa with a signboard "bring your own wine..." or something like that, but now I can't recall where it could be. I know that in Europe you can do that in some places either for free or paying something like "bottle cork service..." Does anyone know if there's such a practice of bringing your own wine/drinks to a cafe/restaurant? And if yes, give me a couple of hints, where in town these places are situated. Thanks!

2008 Feb 8
This came up a while ago in the forums here, and a tag called "BYOW" (Bring Your Own Wine) was added to the site (click on "Tags" above).

Unfortunately only one restaurant has been tagged thus far (East India Company). Someone should get on the phone and find some more I guess. I know that Allium does not allow this (I checked).

2008 Feb 8
Sure, there are a few places that allow you to bring your own wine. We have a tag for it here, but the list is obviously incomplete: ottawafoodies.com/tag/112

I just found a very complete list here: www.bringmywine.ca/ottawa.html

I'll make a note to myself to add the BYOW tag to all of those!

2008 Feb 8
Here is a good site:

www.bringmywine.ca/ottawa.html

There is also the ability to tag resto here in Ottawa Foodies:

ottawafoodies.com/tag/112

also a search in here comes up with a prior discussion in the forum:

Forum Posts
"Bring your own drinks" places? by bwc on Feb 8: This came up a while ago in th...
"Bring your own drinks" places? by bwc on Feb 8: This came up a while ago in th...
Entertainment Discount Books by Nanook on Dec 19: Oh I really like that idea. If...
Entertainment Discount Books by Captain Caper on Dec 17: How true Mo... how true. ...
Juniper-awful experience by Fresh Foodie on Sep 30: Bringing one's own cake into a...
New wine tasting group. by Pete-In-Ottawa on Sep 4: Thought I'd post my experience...
Asian BYOB? by Momomoto on Aug 31: Not the most complete of lists...
BYO Wine restaurants by mcsheffrey on Jul 19: If the server is uncorking the...
BYO Wine restaurants by Chimichimi on Jul 18: Hmm... I'm a bit naive to the ...

2008 Feb 8
LOL... jinx!

2008 Feb 8
Wow... I thought I was a fast responder... then I see Fresh Foodie is ahead of me by one minute.

I think i'll sit back next time, wait for the dust to settle, then see if i can add anything.

2008 Feb 10
Fresh Foodie,
Nagina is also BYOW (and practically next door to the LCBO at King Edward and Rideau).

2008 Feb 10
Thanks.. I've updated the BYOW tag: ottawafoodies.com/tag/112

2008 Feb 11
This topic inspired me to flag a few I know are BYOW. hehe.

2008 Feb 15
Thanks a lot for quick and full answers. But are all of these BYOW places just about wine itself? I mean, is it possible to bring vodka, whisky or homemade drinks? and will the cork be the same for strong alcohol then? Thanks again.

2008 Feb 15
I believe it's just wine.

2008 Feb 16
Yup... Just "Wine"... it's an endorsement on their liquor license.

www.agco.on.ca

.... but they do they mean by "unopened bottles of commercially made wine" ???

Since they do not specify what kind of wine then I assume rice wine, Saki, would be OK. What about fortified wines ... Sherry, Port and the like?

I wonder about Dubonnet, Chinzano, etc. are they not wines ?

In China they call 53% Maotai, "Rice Wine" ... how about that one? Betcha- not.

2008 Feb 16
Here's some more: (Do I really enjoy digging out this stuff ? I must.)

According to the Wine Content and Labelling Act, 2000
S.O. 2000, CHAPTER 26
Schedule P

Found in Section 2 Definitions:
“wine” means an alcoholic beverage produced by the complete or partial alcoholic fermentation of fresh grapes, or of products derived solely from fresh grapes, or both; (“vin”)

If they follow that definition then my Chinzano, Port and Maitai ideas go ou the window.

BUT ... Further digging finds me this:

According to the Liquor Licence Act
R.S.O. 1990, CHAPTER L.19

“wine” means any beverage containing alcohol in excess of the prescribed amount obtained by the fermentation of the natural sugar contents of fruits, including grapes, apples and other agricultural products containing sugar, and including honey and milk. (“vin”) R.S.O. 1990, c. L.19, s. 1; 1996, c. 26, s. 3 (1); 1998, c. 18, Sched. E, s. 166; 1998, c. 24, s. 1; 2002, c. 17, Sched. F, Table; 2002, c. 18, Sched. E, s. 7 (1, 2); 2004, c. 28, s. 1; 2006, c. 34, s. 16 (1, 2).

Wow Eight more holes to drill down. I give up.

Now I know why the lawyers get the big bucks.

Imagine bringing in a copy of the Liquor Licence Act R.S.O. 1990, CHAPTER L.19 and all the ammendments to a BYOW restaurant. Just to show them you CAN bring in some commercially made, non-grape wines.

Or better yet... bring in a

Jeroboam 6 bottles in one or a
Imperial 8 bottles or in one a
Methuselah 8 bottles in oneor a
Salmanazar 12 bottles in in one or a
Balthazar 16 bottles or in one a
Nebuchadnezzar 20 Bottles in one.

and have then charge you a ONE bottle corkage fee.

He he he

2008 Feb 16
I just read my last two posts.

Do I have too much time on my hands and am I some kind of 'wing-nut' or just really anal ???

I'll go with ... "A bit of all three".

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

Leapn' Leprechauns !!!

It's almost International Drinkn' Day or is it still called St Patty's Day ?

2008 Feb 16
Screw the rules! Bring a flask! ;)

2008 Feb 16
I got one of these once.

It came with a bottle of Wiser's Deluxe Rye Whiskey in a Xmas pack.

After Xmas that year, I asked the marketing boys at Wisers if I could get some more flasks.

The response was " No, they have been discontinued. They were deemed as promoting the public consumption of alcohol" I fell of my chair.

PS: I drank the bottle of whiskey.... it never made me any Wiser.

2008 Feb 17
And another thing about BYOW... the corkage fee, which can be $15 to $20, easily.

Now that's for removing a REAL cork... Can I get a discount for a bottle with a screw cap ?

What about the corkage fee for a 4 litre boxed wine ? The one with the 'space bag' inside the box. Think Maria Christina.

Picture me .... off to Beckta's with my California Jug Wine. Yeeehaaa !!

PS; Something tells me that the wait-staff at Beckta's haven't been trained on the proper method of serving wines from a jug with ring-handle. hehehe

2008 Feb 17
They call it a "corkage fee" but clearly it's intended to cover:

* glassware (inventory, breakage, dishwashing)
* service (pouring and yes... uncorking if necessary)
* some part of the lost revenue from people not buying wine from the restaurant

2008 Feb 18

OK , I understand that the corkage fee includes glassware and pouring service ... so can I get a discount if I bring my own plastic wine cups (and take them home with me) and pour my own wine ?

..... and the plastic wine glasses (oxymoron?) are soooo appropiate with my California Jug Wine.

Look out Beckta !! .... here I come with my gallon jug of Carlo Rossi.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Silly-billy button now turned off !! Hehehe

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2008 Feb 18
Okay in my feeble attempt at humour you could try showing up at Beckta with everything! Wine, glasses, silverware heck even dinner... Keep that silly button on Captain Caper - I love reading your posts!

2008 Feb 19
Ha! You could make an evening out of it. Call it "Ghetto Fabulous" night or the like. Most expensive food with cheapest wine imaginable.

2008 Feb 19
Wow... I thought I was just being funny.... but now Momomot has put a new spin on this for me.

The Ghetto Fabulous Event/Evening (or maybe another name)sounds great.

Heck !! Forget the plastic wine cups. We'll just pass around the jug around for a good swig. That would remind me of drinking jugs of "Golden Glow" hard cider fron Annapolis Valley NS, circa 1979.

Betcha that will raise an eye-brow or two from the surrounding tables.

Dress attire could be "Hobo", "Squeegie-kid", "Street Walker", "Busker" etc.

Any other suggestions for a Ghetto Gourmet Night ?

Look out Beckta, or another BYOW place, Here WE come !!

2008 Feb 27
Yes yes that sounds like fun! I will bring the plastic cutlery! And coming in costume sounds like fun. Now I just have to decide what to wear...