Slush Puppy syrup to give away [General]

2018 Aug 3
Funny story:

Ali, the owner/operator of Istanbouli Shawarma on Holland is a great guy. He loves teasing us when we come in for lunch every week. I was dismayed when he took the Slush Puppy machine out. It makes so much heat that they just couldn't stand to have it working all the time.

I mentioned it again yesterday because he still has a bunch of the Slush Puppy cups on a counter behind the cash.

He held up a finger, went to a counter in the back, and brought me out a jug with 3 liters of blue raspberry syrup in it! SCORE! I have no idea what I'd do with it, but figured I could probably find someone.

Does anyone want it?

2018 Aug 13
Thank god i gave away my beer funnel years ago.

2018 Aug 18
You can shave ice in a blender and add the syrup..

2018 Aug 20
Yeah, I made a bunch and then made some shallow ice cubes. Then I can just add them and some liquor in a blender and I'm ready to go.

Still, it's a bit much for me.

Everything is blue.

2018 Aug 20
I understand that what I'm about to say is horrible and disgusting, so forgive me...

...but I'm kind of curious if I could brew a beer with this stuff.

2018 Aug 20
You could make some kind of alcohol, but i’m not sure if it would be beer. If you were to add a bunch of malt extract to it. . . . . . . . . .gee you may be on to something. . . . . . . There is this stuff in Quebec we used to drink sometimes, Tornado, which is a fruity sugary beer type of thing.

2018 Aug 21
Oh, my god. It's just a sweet and sugary syrup, kind of like HFCS. I could totally add some yeast and water and see what happens. I just started my first batch of mead last weekend, so I'm totally in the mood for this kind of tomfoolery.

Still, I think it's pretty well guaranteed to be awful.

2018 Aug 21
Rizak I remember going to a resto on Elgin Street years ago that served blue martinis. I recall it having a coconut-like flavour... Maybe your blue syrup could be morphed into a new cocktail?...

2018 Aug 21
Here was my thought process:

Beer

Raspberry beer

Not wanting to deal with finding raspberry juice or make my own

Raspberry essence is gross

Rizak posts about blue raspberry syrup

??profit??

I am equally horrified/intrigued what could come out of those carboys after a few weeks.

2018 Aug 22
Blue raspberry is perhaps the most heinous of artificial flavours. Even the colour smacks of desperation.

Candy boss: "We have artificial cherry, strawberry, watermelon—all of them red. Raspberry needs another colour."

Candy imp: "Ummm, how about AZURE. You know, like the sky!"

Candy boss: (Doesn't recognize the word but looks out the window and sees a beautiful orangey-red sunset.) "Whoah, that's just different enough. Make it so!"

And so history was made. 😝