Ceramic Cookware [General]

May 12
I bought some Everwear cookware two years ago and the frying pan is no longer non stick. Any recommendations for a replacement? Thx

May 12
Go to Russell Restaurant Supplies and buy Thermalloy. Good price, excellent quality.

May 13
TP, would you consider cast iron, the original nonstick? I cooked up 2 omelettes yesterday using an old fry pan I bought last year, cleaned in an electrolysis tank, seasoned and is now nonstick; omelettes slid right out. Made corn tacos on a low sided ci skillet that I just reconditioned and they were better than the nonstick skillet I used to use. I've caught the ci bug, I guess.

May 13
I will try my cast iron. An electrolysis tank?! 😀

May 13
Yup. An electrolysis tank is one way to remove all the crud and seasoning from a ci pan, getting down to the bare metal. The other main means of cleaning is a lye bath using a spray of (yellow can) Easy Off oven cleaner and wrapping in a plastic bag. The Easy off uses sodium hydroxide and is pretty smelly, messy and may require more than a single treatment. The electrolysis tank is way easier, quicker and more geeky, all reasons that appealed to me. I just use a plastic garbage can almost filled with water plus 1 to 3 Tbs sodium carbonate, aka washing soda, per gallon H2O, a battery charger, and a piece of steel. Takes 12 to 36 hours as compared with a week or two or three using oven cleaner. I'm still using the same liquid more than a year after I started . Once cleaned, then a pan gets seasoned with fat (Crisco seems very popular, flaxseed oil is often condemned by ci enthusiasts contrary to a popular post promoting it online).
If you or anyone else is interested in cast iron at all there is a Facebook page devoted to Canadian cast iron (search Facebook for cast iron Canada). I've learned a lot about ci from the site run by enthusiasts who are working to find out as much as they can about the history of cast iron holloware production in Canada. Zym is also a poster there, and often posts finds from local thrift stores on the page.

May 14
The regular type of lye bath is 20 litres of water and 1 lb of lye crystals from the hardware store. I have a couple of pans soaking out back right now. It is not as good as an e tank and may take a week of soaking or more depending upon how bad the pan was. And really caked on carbon only comes off in an e-tank but so far I've not hit anything the lye bath cannot solve, and I've had some really nasty pans.

There are some good tutorials out there on using an old computer power supply to power an e-tank as well.

May 14
If you don't want to try and strip the pan yourself. There is a company called Outcast Iron, thay will do it for you. I haven't used them yet myself. They also sell older restored cast iron.

www.facebook.com/outcastiron