Dobostorte [General]

2018 Apr 17
Hi all! I turn up on this site like a bad penny every couple of years, mainly about ethnic food - particularly Indonesian, which I still wish I could find in Ottawa.

But today I want to ask if anyone knows where in Ottawa I could find Dobostorte. I love it, I haven't had a chance to eat it for years, and I have developed an insatiable craving for it. For me it is the ultimate Austro-Hungarian dessert, and
the craving grows as the years pass and I can't find it.

Can anyone point me to a source here in Ottawa?

The recipe is very complex and not one I'd feel competent to make for myself.

2018 Apr 18
The name of the dessert intrigued me so I did a quick internet search, the second time adding Ottawa and this is what came up:

www.stubbechocolatesottawa.com

2018 Apr 18
Damn you!!! Why did I have to click on that link.....now I want cake

2018 Apr 21
sounds like something Stubbe would make-at least at their Dalhousie store.

Usually they also have one or two cakes of the day where you can buy a slice of something, and they make apple strudel and other stuff.

I wish they brought back their homemade jams they used to make, they used to make some a couple years ago.

I want to attempt some German cakes, but would need to figure out how to make a small version good for only myself, as no one around here wants any.
That is a problem if I make candy, fudge and cookies....

2018 Apr 21
I know you're trying to avoid making it but this is one of my go-to sites for cake and it has a recipe that is described as very doable: smittenkitchen.com