Chinatown West [General]

2018 Mar 12
Was trying to decide on a place to eat recently around Merivale Road and it occurred to me that the proliferation of Asian themed restaurants is quite astounding.

Chinatown West - I present the following list:

Mandarin
Captain's Boil (sorta)
Shanghai One
Country Place Chinese Restaurant
Liuyishou Hotpot
168 Sushi
Yang Ming
Sea King
Yakiniku
NG's
Chinese Draggon BBQ
Merival Noodle House
Little Sheep Mongolian Hotpot
Alirang
Sushi Kan
Asian Stars
La Noodle
Baidu
Thai Express
Green Papaya

Others in relatively close proximity:

T&T (not a restaurant per se)
Morals Village Hotpot
Bambu
Xiang Zi
Baan Thai
Bunch of take-out places

Better selection than what's available in Centretown, imho, and with much easier access to parking.

2018 Mar 13
Also on Merivale: @36 Pho and Pho Thi. On Greenbank: Authentic Vietnamese Pho House.

As our society becomes more diverse and diners' horizons are widened, it seems like natural progress for culturally themed restaurants to spread out into the suburbs. Twenty years ago, Somerset was the only real destination for Chinese and Vietnamese food. Today, this is no longer the case and I think we all benefit. 👌

2018 Mar 23
The Merivale/Clyde area is indeed pretty interesting these days. Downtown Diner no longer lives downtown so I really appreciate the addition of Alirang to the neighbourhood since I'm a bit of a fan of Korean food. Another interesting thing is that some of these restaurants (Little Sheep, La Noodle, maybe Morals) seem to be China-based franchises or similar arrangements. I would like to think this has an impact on the style of food being served.