Recommendations for where to go for Chinese New Year [General]

2018 Feb 9
I did a google search and saw that Mekong had a delicious looking menu posted for their 2018 Chinese NY meal - don't get too excited because I called them and apparently they are not doing it this year ...

Looking for ideas of where to go ...

Last year I we went to the Mandarin Ogilvie but it was a few weeks after NY and they were not offering their special menu.

One of my friends suggested this place: Xiang Zi xiangzi.ca/
she says she's been told it is really good but slow as all their food is prepared in house.

I had a quick look at their online menu and did not see anything that looked like special NY dishes or complete meal.

Help?

2018 Feb 9
Is Mekong's usual menu off the table? ...I think it's pretty damn good.

2018 Feb 10
China...

2018 Feb 11
.... and if you can't make it to China, then Vancouver or Toronto might do in a pinch.

2018 Feb 12
Chu Shing has a good selection. They do make some CNY specials. It is packed and they are a bit slow to serve the food, in the day of.

2018 Feb 13
Yangtze usually does something as well.

Mandarin (of the buffet chain not ogilvie) apparently does a special menu for Chinese new year but that just mean a few special items and the regular meh stuff at a jacked up price.

Xiang Zi sure has great noodles, they are handmade and actually really remind me of the cuisine in Northern China - might be cool to check out their new years offerings but as far as I can see nothing is listed online!

2018 Feb 14
Just came across this on FB... Not sure how Authentic the Vegan version might be but could be worth checking out!

www.facebook.com

2018 Feb 14
The Vegan Lunar New Year at The Shanghai - looks really cool! Too bad I'm busy.

Looks like we are going to Shark Fin/Sea King. We will be a large group (14, 8 adults, 6 kids) so we will likely have a large assortment of dishes on offer.

As an Off Topic comment since SushiStevie mentions something vegan ...
has heard of a vegan butcher shop?

Well if you haven't, now you have. Apparently there is one in Victoria, BC. Didn't get all the details yet about what they are selling and how it measures up for someone who eats vegan but plan to.

2018 Mar 12
My brother in law is a bit of a foodie where chinese food is concerned. Toronto and Vancouver have Ottawa beat by a long mile.

For Ottawa, his favourite is Sea King and 2nd is Ng Cusine and we have 3 vegetarians in the family...

2018 Mar 12
Thanks FoodTravel. We ended up at Sea King and had a great meal. Now we are looking for a Vietnamese restaurant that serves Vegetarian Wrap and Roll plates. One option is Pho Van Van on Holland Avenue. Wondering if Huong's Vietnamese Bistro has good veg options especially Wrap and Roll plates (make your own salad rolls basically make your own salad rolls.

2018 Mar 14
I'm not sure about Huong's but Vietnam Palace on Somerset has an amazing selection of wrap roll platters ranging from grilled chicken/beef/pork, to sizzling plates, to vegetarian options! It seems most Vietnamese places have a salad roll option of some sorts but wrap and roll seems to fewer and farther between.