Black Tomato [General]

2017 Dec 12
sad news

ottawasun.com

2017 Dec 12
What a terrible owner. Dressing his staff up in protest shirts to make the political point that he’d rather fire them at Christmas than pay them minimum wage. Jerk.

2017 Dec 12
A gentle reminder that The Black Tomato has been for sale for over 18 months. The "owner" is the worst.

2017 Dec 12
The restaurant has been for sale for a while and the owner makes a valid point about the minimum wage hike. “Dressing up his staff” isn’t a fair description as I imagine they are just as upset with the impending closure of the restaurant. I have known Pete for years and he is neither a jerk nor is he the worst.

2017 Dec 12
"Dressing up his staff" is a 100% perfect description for ordering new uniforms for his staff. Yes, I imagine his staff are pretty upset at being fired at Christmas. They also probably don't like being coerced to campaign against a policy that was designed to pay them better. They also probably won't enjoy explaining that to patrons - "Why are you wearing those shirts?" "Oh, the owner doesn't want to pay me the legal minimum to serve you this cocktail. More bread? Are you hiring?"

2017 Dec 13
The Ottawa foodie scene is permanently ruined now that the Black Tomato is going. There are restaurants that are around forever, almost never reviewed - if you see a mention of them on social media, it is often comically negative (think Farm Team!) - but somehow surviving through the decades. If you are hard-nosed enough to negotiate a favourable lease on a good spot, and squeeze all your suppliers and employees, enough people will stumble in to keep the place going. Other interesting and good places don't last as the owners aren't prepared to be jerks. I'm sure there are lots of people who are steamed that they can't hire children to work for 50 cents an hour. Muh capitalism! If the fall out of paying people something close to a living wage is the loss of a few Black Tomatos, I say full speed ahead. Social progress always involves this kind of whinging, although usually in not such an embarrassing way.

2017 Dec 13
'permanently ruined'? Serious or sarcasm?

Those t-shirts are all kinds of poor taste. Not much of a bold exit statement.

2017 Dec 13
“Probably”

2017 Dec 14
I think it is hilarious that the Ontario government is so desperate to be reelected, and facing very long odds, that it is pulling out the absolute last and least liked arrow in the quiver of politicians, giving the people what they want, in the face of what they fear the most, small business! (ottawacitizen.com)

2017 Dec 14
Full steam ahead on social progress as far as I am concerned as well!

Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out The Black Tomato !

2017 Dec 14
I ate there once in the 17 years I have been here. It was underwhelming.