Oct 26: Local Food Tours [Events]

2017 Oct 18
All tours happening on October 26th, 2017!

Apple Cobbler Tour

Depart Ottawa U (9 a.m- 4:30 p.m)
A full-day tour travelling to Dundas County animated by Just Food, the Apple Cobbler starts at Against the Grain Farms with a discussion of artisanal grains, seed saving, and value-added, nutrient-dense food production. You will then visit Smyth Apple Orchard and the home of the MacIntosh apple, and Upper Canada Creamery, a family-run, grass fed organic yogurt production facility. Topics covered here will include farm succession, organic transition and on-farm craft production. The tour will finish at the new food-grade organic milling operation of Homestead Organics in Morrisburg, where organic crop production in Eastern Ontario and the organic value chain are on the menu.
Tour is $10. Information here: bringfoodhome.com/tours/

Rebuilding the Local Value Chain

Depart Ottawa U (9 a.m- 4:45 p.m)
From Ottawa to Lanark, this tour has two Eastern Ontario regional food hubs on display, and includes the Ottawa Food Hub/Ottawa Incubator Kitchen, Just Food Farm, Two Rivers Food Hub, and Top Shelf Distillers. Just Food will be animating discussions on small-scale processing, the long-term strategies of incubator farms and kitchens, the development of food hub value chains and regional sourcing/traceability of ingredients.

Maple Syrup, Fine Cheese, and Beer-Swilling Pigs: The Artisanal Value Chain

Depart Ottawa U (9 a.m- 4:30 p.m)
This full-day tour travels through Stormont, Russell counties and Prescott, on the eastern edge of Ontario, visiting St. Albert Cheese Co-op, Sand Road Maple Farm, Beau’s All Natural Brewing Company and Pickle Patch Farms. Animated by All Things Food, the tour will cover topics including on-farm conservation projects, agri-tourism, craft production and organic value chain development.

Walk, sample, and learn! Downtown walking tour
Depart Ottawa U (2 p.m- 4:30 p.m)

Animated by Just Food, this hyper-local, walking tour through the Byward Market area next to Ottawa U will facilitate lively discussion on agri-tourism development, including contentious farmer branding, opportunities in promotions, new policies for urban agriculture and selling food in public spaces, etc. Participants will enjoy taste-testing some of the fare within Ottawa’s longest running farmers’ market.
Tour is free. Information here: bringfoodhome.com/tours/

Good Food in Schools
Depart Ottawa U (1 p.m- 4 p.m)

Edible Education Network and Ottawa School Food Network invite you to this half-day, free tour where you will visit local schools and see Farm to School principles in action, while also sharing among the group practices happening throughout Ontario. The tour will highlight multiple ways that broad municipal and provincial stakeholders are coming together to increase Good Food within both indoor and outdoor school food initiatives.
Tour is free. Information here: bringfoodhome.com/tours/

2017 Oct 18
Do you actively participate in this forum as a contributing member or do you view it strictly as a vehicle for free advertising?

2017 Oct 18
Woah! Isn't sharing gastronomic news one of this site's raisons d'ętre? There are many facets of the local food chain that this organization is highlighting with these free or low cost tours. I, for one, welcome them and their information for ottawa foodies.
I hope you'll reconsider your post, felinefan.

2017 Oct 18
I, for two, welcome the post as 1. it's about food and - this event specifically - is local and 2. they promote healthy food and (got me here) farming and 3. it's probably not an event I would have heard of otherwise but now has me looking at arranging Thursday off so I can go on a field trip...

2017 Oct 18
Hi Felinefan,

We are posting to advertise but we are partnering with Just Food a non-profit that supports the Ottawa community and provides a lot of Farmer training. We thought this was a great forum to get the word out. Sorry if you are offended. From what we see this is a great place for the Ottawa foodies community to connect.

Andy and AMR I hope you can join one of the tours :)

2017 Oct 18
I think what felinefan was referring to was that there was already another similar post Forum - Oct 28 (7-10pm): Feast of Local Flavours. In fact, there were two other posts and I deleted one already. :-)

Sustain Ontario, please continue to create just one forum thread per unique and interesting event. Thanks!

(I've edited the titles of these posts for maximum clarity and minimum exclamation marks.)

2017 Oct 18
Hi Warby,

Great thank you for the clarification! I realized we might of made a couple of post. I am not sure how to delete posts. We are no longer hosting the feast. How do you delete posts?

2017 Oct 19
No problem with the content ... aside from the use of the word 'animate'.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.