Entrepreneurs looking for some help for the food truck ! [Food/Vendor]

2017 Sep 13
Hello Ottawa foodies,

Me and my wife have been using this forum to get the feedback about the food truck we are starting from next summer. Software engineers by profession and foodies and entrepreneurs by passion, we want to bring a unique culinary experience to Ottawa. We will be serving Indian flavors in a cool and casual way. (More details to follow.)

As most of you already know, in order for a food truck to be successful, a good parking spot is essential. To get that, we reached out to city of Ottawa and we were told that in order to be eligible to get a spot provided by city of Ottawa, we need to have two years of experience of outdoor vending. I am sure there will be a good reason behind this rule but it makes it really hard for entrepreneurs like us to get started :)

So as a fallback plan, we are now looking for a private property to park our truck on where not only we can attract Ottawa foodies from anywhere in the town but also can serve fresh, fast and convenient food to our daily consumers.

We need the help from community members. So if you know any real estate agent or any other consultant who can help us through or any tip towards the right direction, please share with us.

thanks

2017 Sep 14
I would contact the Holy Rosary church on Grant St (or Wellington - not sure which their address is on)

They just recently started renting out their spots for day parking. The lot is only 100 meters from Frenchy's Chip Truck on the other side of the Royal Bank, and in general this is just off the beaten path from a very high traffic and trendy area.

www.google.ca/maps/@45.4019029,-75.7274145,87m/data=!3m1!1e3

2017 Sep 14
Yay for more food trucks! I really appreciate when private businesses allow food truck to use a part of their parking lot, it's always a win/win for everyone involved.

While I can't help with a spot (but will keep my eyes and ears open), I can help with insurance for your truck if you need. Even if you just have questions feel free to get in touch :)

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your truck on the road!

2017 Sep 14
i know there is some food truck "groups" that share/rotate businesses that they set up at for lunch rush. maybe try and get in touch with some of trucks that do that.

2017 Sep 14
Go rogue.
Paint the truck black, do pop up food truck stops where people have to sign up for a random twitter feed to get locations mere minutes before you arrive, feed them glorious food, and ride off again into the sunset even tho it's only like 2pm. Cash only, no license, no photos, no mercy. The Food Network will be at your door within days.

...alternately, maybe check w Ottawa U and Carleton.

...but I like the guerrilla food truck idea more. :)

2017 Sep 15
As long as you don't mind paying some stiff fines when you're caught.

2017 Sep 15
Buy off the authorities with your glorious grub.

2017 Sep 17
@zymurgist: That looks like a good spot. Thanks a lot. I will definitely check with them.
If I may ask, is there any forum/website/group or anything that I can subscribe to in order to get up to date with such property owners who rent out their spots for day parking and they may let us park our truck there?

@FoodMonger: I already have you in my contact, and I will be reaching out to you when we are on that stage :) cheers.

@Eastcoast.chef: Sure, I will do some research on it. thanks :)

@OSoloMeal: haha, sure I will check with the two schools.

@TheTrunkDr and @Hungry Pete : :)

2017 Sep 19
There is a crowd sourcing app for parking spaces similar in concept to Ueber but I'm not sure what it is called.

2017 Sep 19
zymurgist: Is it this ? roverparking.com/

2017 Sep 19
I dunno I just heard of one a while back - don't recall the name.

2017 Sep 25
@zymurgist : No problem, thanks anyways :)