What's Your Favourite Grocery Store in Ottawa? [General]

2017 May 10
Hi all,

Where do y'all like to go grocery shopping?

My top 3:

1.) Loblaws on Robertson and Moodie. If you hit it on a good day your entire day of shopping will end up being 50% off. Way better than the Loblaws on Richmond.

2.) Food Basics on Kirkwood- Great prices, but seafood and meat sections aren't great.

3.) Kowloon- Great variety and an overall fun place to shop. Great prices on produce and herbs. Plus they have Yen Fung Ding Dumplings! A little stinky though..

2017 May 10
Hey now, don't be giving away the secret about the Bells Corners Loblaws! I like that it's never busy in there.

2017 May 10
Produce Depot. Hardly ever more than 1 or 2 people ahead of you in line. Great Seafood Counter and decent Meat Selection.

I then head to an Independent for PC products (mostly sauces - PC Chipotle, Sweet with Heat Mustard and BBQ sauce)

I LOATHE giant grocery stores and their inevitably long, slow moving lines, but that's because I do groc 2-3 times per week.

2017 May 10
My two favourites are Produce Depot and Farm Boy on McRae.

2017 May 10
No Frills in Orleans, not close to where I live, but the prices are great.

2017 May 10
I like Produce Depot for unique fruit & veg that you don't find at other stores (watermelon radishes, garlic scapes etc). Their meat department always has a putrid rotting smell though...I have to hold my breath when I walk through that part of the store (Carling location)

2017 May 12
The Loblaws at Centrum in Kanata also puts almost out of date foods at 50% off but there are probably more folks shopping there than in Bells Corners. I like Farmboy as my main choice for food and no frills in Arnprior or Food basics in Stittsville for non-fresh items and paper items (I use Stittsville and Arnprior as I live in West Carleton).

2017 Jun 2
For fish and shellfish that's still swimming, I think that Ha Long Fish and Seafood Market on Somerset is great.

Compared to other Asian markets like Kowloon and T&T, the store is relatively small and solely focused on seafood. I find that at bigger stores such as T&T the fish isn't taken care of properly and sometimes I even doubt that the displays satisfy the requirement for temperature (all the fish is piled up on top of each other). Furthermore, I like that the owner Ha Long is always there and taking care of his product.

I always get my lobster at Asian seafood markets. The prices are always so much better and it seems to be that the quality of the lobster is the same.

2017 Jun 2
Cedar on Bank. Love their fresh hummus (all flavours), watercress, fruits, vegetables and other variety of products as well as wonderful service!

2017 Jun 4
Nicastro fine foods on Merivale.

best Italian meats and cheeses.

2017 Jun 6
Mid-East Food Centre is awesome.

I was able to get some green almonds there when they were in season. They also have a very large selection of Middle Eastern specialities compared to most smaller stores with the same type of products along with a bakery making fresh pies. Definitely worth checking out.

2017 Jun 6
I can't believe I forgot to mention my 2 favourites-Hintonburg Market on Wellington and Kowloon on Somerset!

2017 Jun 7
Hintonburg market is a not so well hidden gem.
Great produce, small but quality prep'd food selection, surprisingly extensive cheese counter.