Byward Market [General]

2017 Apr 5

2017 Apr 5
"ByWard was in crisis, that the historic district's food heritage was being overtaken by restaurants and bars, and that without some action, the market would become an entertainment district."

And... I mean isn't that what it is and has been for decades? I was born, grew up and spent most of my life in this city and I've never thought of the By Ward Market as anything but an entertainment district. Sure there's a market there but isn't that part of the entertainment and tourism without the intention of it being an actual central market for Ottawa residents? I've never considered going there with the intention of buying some groceries and nothing else, it's just terribly inconvenient unless you live in the area. A good 50% of what's for sale there are trinkets and souvenirs anyway.

2017 Apr 5
Seriously... 'become' an entertainment district...? ...have they been to the market since the 90s???

And why is this a bad thing? I love farmer's markets, but i'm pretty sure bars and restaurants bring in more tourists year round than those seasonal stalls selling (often overpriced) veggies, that tourists in particular are unlikely to buy, and locals are more likely to go elsewhere for.

2017 Apr 5
When the CBC referred to the Byward Market's historic food heritage they were probably referring to earlier days when farmers would come in to Ottawa with their fruit/vegetables/livestock, etc. and sell their wares at the Byward Market. It has definitely evolved into an entertainment district over the years though I hope the city is able to keep an outdoor market going in centretown, if not in the market then somewhere downtown. I do in fact shop at the market year round. I enjoy buying fish at Lapointes, cheese at both cheese stores, fruit and veggies at the Byward Fruit store, and meat at Sasloves and Weidel. During the summer months I frequent the outdoor stalls and I've had no problem finding locally grown fruits and veggies. If the market disappears I would have to go further astray to Lansdowne or the Main Street markets. During the last two years I was lucky to have the Main Street farmers market at the Museum of Nature - only a couple of blocks away from where I live - but they are moving back to Main Street. I will still go but not as frequently as I did when they were close by.

2017 Apr 5
As always the city is clueless. I shop at the Byward Market farmers stalls f I am in the area but I will go to oter farmers markets too. The proliferation of these markets has affected the Byward Market. Throw in the lack of parking, aggressive junkies and traffic congestion and you get the picture. Buck passing by the city will not solve these issues.

2017 Apr 5
For me, the most historic aspect of the market is the Chateau Lafayette. I buy from the vendors sometimes, but the prices are high, and there is a high degree of regulation as to what they can charge. Restaurants and bars are food heritage. I spend a fair bit of dough at Nicastros, the cheese shops, and Sazloves. I like pizza at the Grand, and Chez Lucien.