Local Eggs [General]

2017 Mar 20
Hi there,

Does anyone know of an egg farmer close to the City? I eat lots of eggs and my previous supplier (Riverglen) is termininating their lease with the NCC. I found some on Kijiji south of Ottawa in Kemptville/Oxford Mills but would prefer a closer supplier.

I love farm fresh eggs, and have not found a suitable replacement. The best eggs I've had in the store are the PC "Blue Menu" brown omega 3 eggs. I've found that Bekings eggs do not taste different from the basic no name eggs and are quite small. Looking for that nice orange yolk.

2017 Mar 20
Would try the Farmers Market @ Lansdowne.

2017 Mar 20
Try the Ottawa Organic Farmers Market Bank and Heron. But go early, things like eggs sell out early. Hollenbec Farm *might* have eggs, if not ask who does sell them.

www.oofmarket.ca/index.php

2017 Mar 30
Carp farmers market is holding an Easter market, might find a source or recommendation there.

2017 Apr 1
"I've found that Bekings eggs do not taste different from the basic no name eggs and are quite small."

It's funny, I've had egg on the brain of late and was meaning to post to the forum. Is it just me or have Bekings eggs decreased in quality significantly over the past several months? I used to really like them, then we both noticed they were very 'meh', and then my husband came home with Bekings Roam Free eggs - at $7.99 for a dozen.

These were a marked improvement but I was a bit resentful at paying double for my eggs from the same farm who used to do a more-than-decent egg, and we were further told that they are an occasional offering when they have hens roaming outdoors.

So eggs - the perfect food IMO - are in lower rotation in our kitchen and I too long for the bright yellow yolks I sometimes get from a friend of a friend when she comes from the family farm in Metcalfe.

Organicgirl, do you sell farm eggs in the city?

2017 Apr 1
I buy my eggs from a farmer in Richmond, about 30 min from Merivale area. $3.50 a dozen. Amazing quality eggs, but no certified organic or anything... Just plain good farm eggs. PM me for contact if you're interested.

2017 Apr 5
Is there more than one egg vendor at Lansdowne?
The only one I see is Beckings and you can get those at Cedar's grocery also.

Whole Foods has a large selection of eggs, but I have not really tried any from there yet.

2017 Apr 5
Bekings seems to be the only dedicated egg vendor at Lansdowne but a few of the other stalls sell eggs in addition to their primary products. You might need to poke around a little and I can't comment to their quality.

2017 Apr 5
Not to speak for organicgirl, but to my knowledge all if her eggs go to her Whole Farm CSA.

2017 Apr 6
I can second lovetoeat's recommendation that you check out the Ottawa Organic Farmers' Market.

Their eggs are amazing - very different than grocery store or Bekings.

Hollanbac Farms is there every second Saturday and usually has some, especially if you go early.