Ginger Beef [General]

2017 Mar 17
I've lived in Ottawa 10+ years and I've never found a restaurant that makes Ginger Beef like the Chinese restaurants in Calgary. There are plenty of places that do crispy beef with a weird sauce on the side, but it's not the same thing. Any suggestions?

2017 Mar 17
Move back to Calgary.
Just kidding. :-)

Beef with broccoli is more popular here.

2017 Mar 17
Have never seen something exactly like what you find in Calgary. Welcome Back in Bells Corners has a Crispy Beef on their menu that's probably the closest that I can recall offhand. Don't expect exactly the same thing but it's worth getting just the same.

Saigon in the Byward Market used to do an orange beef many years ago that was excellent and was just like the Calgary Ginger Beef but with orange rather than ginger. They stopped serving it and I think we were told that the person who made it had left. Not really useful information but I have fond memories of it!

2017 Mar 17
The Golden Star in New Edinburgh does a crispy beef that is pretty crispy, I can't say that it's my fave, but it's beef, and it's crispy. . . . .

2017 Mar 18
My experience with Canadian Chinese Food (aka "Chicken Balls and Egg Rolls") is that it can be very regional. I'm still trying to find Victoria-style chow mein, as enjoyed throughout my childhood at Foo Hong Chop Suey on Fisgard.

Permit me to rant a little... Most Ottawa Canadian Chinese chow mein is absurd because it is primarily beansprouts and onions with a tiny sprinkling of crunchy flat noodles on top. The literal translation of chow mein is "fried noodle" so figure that out! The base part (without the sprinkling of noodles) is sold as chop suey. Many menus list their chop suey dishes and say "chow mein $0.50 extra", and they literally add a small handful of crunchy noodles, either on top or in a separate baggy. It just aint right! lol

So best of luck! :-)