Italian restaurants [General]

2017 Feb 26
I'm curious...for those who have traveled to Italy and have had the good fortune to experience the variety in regional dishes throughout the country, where would you go in Ottawa for great Italian food? I'm wondering if it's just me, but I find that there doesn't seem to be anything in Ottawa that makes great, straight forward authentic Italian dishes. Many, many wonderful and tasty takes on Italian but none that replicate anything I've had in Italy. For example, Rome pasta specialties such as carbonara, cacio e pepe, amatriciana. Thoughts?

2017 Feb 26
La Roma nails Milan style osso bucco with rissoto.
The Grand is pretty close to true Neapolitan style pizza.

...that's all I got. We have great Italian food in this city but if you're looking for 'the real thing' it can be a challenge.

2017 Feb 27
North and Navy. I've never been but this is what they claim is their deal and the reviews are very positive.

2017 Feb 27
North and Navy has been pure awesome every time i've eaten there, but i wouldn't call it traditional ('authentic' is too fuzzy a term for me).

Parma Ravioli on Wellington West has some great takeway classic dishes. Their lasagna tastes like someone's grandmother was in the back cursing in Italian while throwing her own garden fresh tomatoes at you to get out of her kitchen so she could make dinner.

...i mean that in an entirely good way, to be clear.

2017 Feb 27
Most of the restaurants here seem to focus more on North Americanized Italian food rather than true Italian.

Personally, I love North and Navy!

2017 Feb 27
I agree with Robyn - most Italian restaurants in Ottawa serve Northern Americanized versions

North and Navy for Northern/Ventian dishes

Divino wine Studio for Centralish and Southern dishes.

2017 Feb 27
I vote for North and Navy, Town and now Citizen for the best Italian in the city. These are setting a very high bar for superb food, not to mention great atmosphere and service. Bella's tops my list for traditional Italian style. The family runs the front and back of the house and provide the most personal and warm welcomes to their many regulars.

2017 Feb 27
I tend to agree that finding the real thing here in Ottawa is a challenge and that many dishes seem to be a North Americanized version of Italian. And I certainly don't mean that in a bad way. I love the food at Town (especially those meatballs!) but I wouldn't classify it as Italian in any way. I just find it odd that we don't really have any places that do the traditional dishes like you can find in other cities. I'm thinking Lupa in New York which does kick a$$ Roman pasta dishes that I noted above and doesn't try to be fancy about them. Just does them in the simple way that they are meant to be done. I haven't really tried many of the Italian places in Ottawa as I can see from many of the menus that they are not what I'm looking for. I'm more likely to cook them at home and go out for anything other than Italian. Being Italian, everyone asks me where to go for good Italian and I generally respond with "my house!". ;-)

2017 Feb 27
I sometimes get invited to a friends house, a little old Italian lady, who makes nothing fancy Italian home cooking, and the closest I have found to that is the counter at La Bottega.

2017 Feb 28
I sometimes get invited to a friends house, a little old Italian lady, who makes nothing fancy Italian home cooking, and the closest I have found to that is the counter at La Bottega.

2017 Feb 28
Yeah, if we're talking takeaway counters Bottega, and Nicastro, are pretty great.
The Groceteria on Beech too, actually, tho they only do food other than sandwiches at lunch times.

2017 Mar 1
Two restaurants that make some fantastic pasta dishes are Supply and Demand and Riviera.

2017 Mar 1
Be warned that the pasta at Riviera is sized like a first course but priced like a main. Your nonna would not be pleased! 😁 Supply and Demand has full and half-orders, and the full order is hearty!

2017 Mar 14
Il Perugino Cafe
I saw an interview of the owners yesterday on CTV Ottawa morning show. The owner is from Perugia (Umbria) and it looks good but I haven't tried it. Different pasta special each night and open late. www.ilperuginocaffe.com It is on Dalhousie Street. I ate fabulous food in Perugia on a trip 3 years ago and can't wait to try this place.