Outback Steak Spice [General]

2017 Jan 22
New to the site here...
I'm not sure if this is the place to post, I have a question for folks.
While I was never a monster fan of Outback Steakhouse, I did like the spice they used on their steaks.
Years ago the Ottawa Citizen ran an article outlining Outback and included a recipe for the steak spice and directions on preparing their steak.
I kept that article, tried their spice and method and we found that we liked it here at home.
Lo and behold, my Buttercup, threw that newspaper page out quite some time ago (yes, I still love her...)
I've tried several times Googling, Ottawa Citizen Archives, etc. and I can't seem to find that recipe. My foggy memory seems to recall that there was maybe some ground cumin and fennel in it. I'm pretty sure I used to grind the fennel myself because I couldn't find any in a store.
Would anyone have any idea on this?
Thanks,

2017 Jan 22
First five google hits for 'outback steak spice recipe' seem likely.

2017 Jan 22
Thanks for the reply...
I'm going to try some of those but I was just wondering if anyone recalled or had saved that item from the Citizen. I know it was long ago.

2017 Jan 22
I don't remember and poked around, but couldn't find anything. Could also try contacting the Citizen directly? Not sure if they'd be helpful or not.

2017 Jan 22
Do you have an Ottawa Public Library card? It provides access to the ProQuest Canadian Newsstand that contains the Citizen archives. Unfortunately it's text based only so you can't access the original articles with graphics etc. but you can access full text articles.

I did a search and I found an article from October 27, 2004, "Sizzle for supper the Outback way", they provided a recipe for Maple Bacon Wrapped Tender Beef Medallions.

Maple Bacon Wrapped Tender Beef Medallions

Serves 1 or 2
- 2 fillets of beef tenderloin, each about 4 ounces (115 g) and 1- inch (2.5-cm) thick
- 2 strips of maple bacon
- 2 toothpicks
- 2 tablespoons (25 mL) of melted butter

For the steak seasoning:
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon (2 mL) coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) ground fennel
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) dry onion flakes
- Pinch, cayenne pepper

1. Preheat cast-iron skillet on high heat until a speck of butter dropped on skillet sizzles.
2. Mix together dry steak seasonings until blended well, then rub each beef tenderloin steak with mixture.
3. Wrap maple bacon around each seasoned beef tenderloin steak and secure with a wooden toothpick.
4. Brush each steak with melted butter and sear 4 minutes per side (for medium-rare, or longer for medium or well-done).
5. To finish the dish, roll beef tenderloin steaks on hot skillet until bacon is browned.
6. Remove toothpicks and serve.

2017 Jan 23
That's it!
The dry onion flakes triggered the 'ol bean... I even recall that they had the beef medallion recipe in that piece.
Thank you very much for your efforts!
I wouldn't have guessed that it was from 2004 though - where have the years gone?
Cheers,