Rural Ottawa Locavore Restaurant? [General]

2016 Oct 15
There is a vacant restaurant in Constance Bay Village in Ottawa's rural West Carleton. I think it would be great location for an eat-local-in-season destination for the region. I think if a locavore Chef was looking for a destination restaurant site, a Constance Bay restaurant could be the next big wave hereabouts in eating local. Ottawa's West Carleton area is farming oriented, with a huge agroecological landscape that could easily feed the entire city year-round, at least its basic nutrition, in my opinion. A destination locavore restaurant could prove the catalyst. How can we find the region's locavore chefs who might want to come look this site over, with an eye to the future?

2016 Oct 17
I grew up in Constance Bay and saw a lot of restaurants come and go from this place. It has gone from the Whippoorwill (Canadian/Mexican fare), to Bernie's Bistro (Sports Bar), La Osteria (Portuguese Fine Dining - loved this one!), Greystone Grill (Pub & Brunch), to most lately the ill-fated DesTHAInation (tasty thai but didn't last).

The one thing about this site is to know your market. Constance Bay has a broad range of dwellers but most high-end places don't seem to prosper at this site. Seasonality is also a major issue since as a local boating/cottaging destination the summer is a lot more lively then the dead of winter.

A Cute Pub feel with local fare would do well I suspect, but something too fancy would likely be a deterrent too many locals who would be essential to floating the business through the off months. Beer and Breakfast are essential to this niche, and the community is already oversaturated by Pizza.

I'd truly love for something to do well in this spot.