No love for Saslove humour [General]

2016 Oct 14
Saslove's tries for US election joke, goes badly....

www.ctvnews.ca

2016 Oct 14
Given the 2 mainstream choices I thought it was rather funny. Both of them are a joke and most of my 'Merican coworkers would agree. It is the worst case of the lesser of two evils ever seen.

2016 Oct 15
Let me try to explain why what might seem funny on the surface is really a rather sad expression of misogyny.

The reference to Hillary Clinton did not attack her political views or actions. It attacked her by sexually objectifying and belittling her as a woman.

The reference to Donald Trump did not attack him at all. Instead it made light of his alleged sexual assaults. This is not anywhere close to a balanced attack on both presidential candidates. Both are attacks on women.

As an aside, describing the 2016 USA presidential election as choosing the lesser of two evils really shows how far women still have to go for equality. Here we have a woman who is (arguably) the most qualified candidate ever running against a man who is (inarguably) the least qualified candidate ever. And they're pretty much tied in the polls. Talk about highlighting the massive advantage afforded by white male privilege!

This joke is out of touch with modern social values in which reducing women to their body parts and making light of sexual assault is considered wrong. The Saslove's owner has done the right thing by openly apologizing. Now if he's smart, he'll donate a good chunk of future profits to a shelter for abused women.

2016 Oct 15
Hmm, Warby put it much more eloquently that I could have but yes, that exactly.

2016 Oct 15
Two thumbs up for Warby's explanation.