Need help with Gluten Free Hiking / Camping [Food/Vendor]

2016 Sep 24
Hi folks,

One of my Scouts this year is celiac so I need some help with gluten free ideas. Fortunately it looks like some of our troop staples are OK - I checked the Freybe website and their products are all gluten free. Our troop uses their pepperoni and salami extensively.

I've also found some GF power bars on the MEC website.

Does anyone have any experience with Spudlers Breakfast Hash? Google is not able to come up with their website for me to check

www.pinterest.com

It is another troop staple.

thanks,
-Zym

2016 Sep 24
Here is the list of ingredients for Spudlers ... can someone tell me if that is OK for a real celiac?

imgur.com/lo9K5ub

2016 Sep 24
Wow I emailed the address on that package and already heard back " Our spudlers breakfast hash with bacon product has no ingredients containing gluten."

2016 Sep 25
This is going to sound like such a stupid and obvious statement, but when I have to prepare food for anyone who is celiac or gluten intolerant, I try to stick to foods that don't involve gluten. Yes, I know, that's obvious right? ;-)

What I mean though, is I try to plan meals and snacks that aren't based around breads or crackers or pasta, and I prepare foods from scratch, so I don't have to worry about gluten hidden in any prepared foods.

So, snacks would be meats, cheeses, fruits, (for camping, dry cured meats, and dried fruits, and hard cheeses that travel well).

Main meals would focus on meats and veg with a starch like potatoes or rice.

Breakfast can be eggs, (we used to bring eggs canoeing all the time, they travel surprisingly well and they are super shelf stable), or yogurt topped with dried fruit and mixed nuts that have been chopped up.

What about rice cakes and rice crackers? If they have no added gluten, they are good to serve with meats, cheeses, peanut butter, etc.

2016 Sep 26
rice cakes are a staple. and whole meat cuts are good. If you need sliced meat you can research the brands, or the farm boy people usually are pretty good and keep an extra slicer to avoid cross contamination. Costco packages are also good, as they are labelled and pre-sliced. A couple of key words to look out for are yeasts - especially from barley. (Chicken stock for instance often has this and is the source for gluten in the stock).

Good luck - googling helps, and the Canadian Celiac association has a pretty good web site. (I found out blue cheese, is actually considered gluten free even if made from rye based mold spores - stuff you thought you'd never know ...)