Anniversary Dinner [Food/Vendor]

2016 Aug 12
Hey Folks
Long time lurker, first time poster!

My anniversary is coming up in a few weeks, and I'd like to have a special dinner with my wife. We're having a "staycation" and We'll be staying downtown on a Saturday night!

Im looking for a recommendation on dinner for sat night and brunch sunday morning. We'll likely be staying at the Fairmont or Westin.

For Dinner, my wife doesn't eat red meat (but I do!) but we enjoy everything else. looking for something modern and exceptional food. we are not huge drinkers either! Want a place that's happening, good buzz and vibe.

Options I was thinking of: Riviera, Beckta, Fairouz, Ace Mercado, Eighteen, Play, and The Shore Club (but only if they have GOOD non-beef/pork options). Any others? (trying to stay away from Mezzanotte, sidedoor, and OZ since we've been there a lot)

What about for brunch on Sunday? ive heard wilf and adas, manx is good. What about Fairmont brunch? or Metropolitan Brasserie? ANy other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

2016 Aug 12
My wife and I used to do this a lot before kids.

I recommend Arc the Hotel for a really special experience.
Ask for a room with the roman baths.

2016 Aug 12
I hear the Riviera is very nice. Haven't been myself yet. Have been to the new Whalesbone on Elgin and it was enjoyable - have to say the restaurant was very loud (rectangle size room).

Atelier is not quite downtown but sure to provide a evening's dining experience and not being huge drinkers means you would likely not be interested in the wine pairing menu (adds significantly to the cost).

Interested in what others have to suggest ...

Fauna?

2016 Aug 12
Shore Club. Their fish and seafood are amazing so your non-beef/pork options are covered.

2016 Aug 12
Dinner Beckta or second the Shore Club + walk along the canal, down Elgin or across Alexandra Bridge/behind Parliament Hill + sound and light show on Hill at 9:30

Breakfast ask for late checkout
- room service :P
- or go out for coffee and croissant from The French Baker or Moulin de Provence then back to room tout de suite
- or Bennie's Bistro or Wilfrid's for brunch + explore Byward Market

2016 Aug 13
Depends on how adventurous you are. Beckta and Shore Club should be sure things for a good meal and nice atmosphere. Riviera would be interesting and good but from what I gathered is there might be the occasional teething issue. I have booked for one of my alumni dinner for Sept 12 at Riviera but hopefully the restaurant should be running smoothly by then.

While I like Fauna, it might be too casual for an anniversary dinner unless your wife like casual.

Depends on if you and your wife are either big eaters or would love to sample different things. Wilfrid's at Fairmont is a good brunch buffet. Bennie's Bistro is good for brunch too. If you want to venture further Gezellig can be interesting.

2016 Aug 13
Not sure if it fits exactly, but Town could fit in with some of the group you mentioned. Maybe a little more casual. I've been there with a non-red-meat-eater and don't recall it being hard to find something for them on the menu. It might be a little more casual than the others on your list.

2016 Aug 14
Thanks for all the Input!

Final 3: riviera, shore club, eighteen

Decision will be made soon

2016 Aug 14
Consider throwing North and Navy on the list for dinner. Care to venture to Edgar for brunch on Sunday?

2016 Aug 16
Thanks all! Ended up making a reso at Riviera. Willing to take the risks of experiencing a new restaurant.

For brunch want to try chez Edgar but no reservation policy and don't want to wait long!

Thanks!

2016 Aug 16
Not downtown but Carben does a really good brunch.

www.carbenrestaurant.com

2016 Aug 16
When the weather is good, the patio at Edgar takes a number of people. Maybe gives them double the space. I have had good luck getting into Edgar this summer because of this. Consider going as part of your adventure scene and then have a back up plan in case the wait is longer than you would like. Sometimes the chase makes for great date experience. I have had a good experience the one time I went to Carben for brunch. But it might be not quite the same buzz as Edgar. A bit quiet. Riviera and Edgar would be a cool contrast. I have enjoyed brunch at Erlings Variety too. It has been awhile though. They just switched chefs so not sure what's happening menu-wise now. I had a good experience with Das Lokal for brunch but that was maybe 4 chefs ago. Thankfully social media can be a help at stalking plate pictures to see if a place is matching your expectation.