Advice on cooking a Standing Rib Roast and Yorkshires [Cooking]

2007 Dec 19
I posted this request over at Chowhound but thought I would seek some imput here too! All help, as always, is really appreciated!

I am going to be doing a standing rib roast for Christmas and various recipes have called for the roast to be cooked to 110 to 115 F and then to let it stand UNCOVERED for 20-30 minutes where in which time it should cook to 125 - 130 F for medium rare and more importantly it will give juices time to circulate throughout the roast.

Sounds good to me but I am wondering if the roast will be remotely hot at that point and I am curious what the experience has been of others and what other people have done in terms of cooking a standing rib roast in terms of letting it sit.

Related to this issue - I am planning on making Yorkshires which cook in the recipe I am using at 400 F but the roast finishes at 350 F. I am thinking of turning the stove up to 400 F the last 5 -10 minutes of cooking time to let it reach this point. I doubt this would hurt the roast at all but what is the advice to others.

cheers and thanks in advance for all suggestions!

2007 Dec 20
What I usually do when I cook a roast is to let it settle for a few minutes after I take it out of the oven. I "tent" it with some aluminum foil. While is the roast is settling, I crank up the oven and do the Yorkshires. That way I can also spoon off some of the jus from the roast for the bottom of the Yorkshire cups.

I don't know if turning up the stove while the roast is still in the oven ruins the finish on the roast. Perhaps if you put foil over it before?

2007 Dec 20
I have a feeling (this is a guess, so correct me if I'm wrong anybody) that the reason why some places suggest not tenting with foil is that the accumulated condensation will affect the crust. Hot gravy will help warm up the cooled roast anyway!

Personally, I don't think that bumping the temperature up at the end like that is going to ruin the roast. Just check its internal temperature and you'll be fine.

2007 Dec 20
I have done the 110 - 115 range, following Good Eat's Alton Brown's recipe actually, and I find it's just too rare for my tastes. Yes it does continue to cook after you take it out of the oven, but even if it hits 120, that's still way too red. If you (and all your guests) are ok with eating your meat basically rare, then go for it, low heat, long cooking time so you get the same degree of doneness all the way through.

But if you're cooking for many, then I would strongly suggest leaving it to 130 at least, then pull it out.

2007 Dec 26
I usually cook it to 115-120, take it out and cover it and let it rest. It's a perfect mdm rare, usually.