Dim Sum Hands on Workshop at T&T Cooking School [General]

2016 Jun 9
After doing the Sushi Hands on Workshop at T&T back in May, there were some interest to do a Hands on Dim Sum workshop.

I talked with Julia Hsin, the Cordon Bleu Ottawa trained chef that runs the workshops at T&T and she suggested
* Shrimp Dumpling (Har Gow)
* Shumai (usually pork or sometimes pork with shrimp)
* Spring roll (with pork or shrimp)

The maximum number for the workshop is 10 people and it would be around $20-30 depending on the number of people since it is a fixed price of $200 for the workshop but likely it would be around $25. Likely date would be a Wednesday or Tuesday in the fall. I already have a few people that attended the sushi workshop interested and we are trying to find dates but there maybe be 1 to 4 spots available.

Let me know if you are interested... and feel free to comment if you like or don't like the menu / recipe list for the workshop and feel free to say you would prefer not to have something and/or have something else instead..

2016 Jun 9
FT, count me in!

2016 Jun 9
Hi FF

1 spot? Also any preference for dates?

2016 Jun 9
Yup.

2016 Jun 10
I am interested. Just me and any date is good.

2016 Jun 10
Oops, missed the second part of the question. No preference as to dates, except that we will likely be away for one week in September. We are planning on going to PEI for their Fall Flavours festival but their schedule isn't out yet so we have been unable to nail down when we are going. Once I know, I will let you know.

2016 Jun 10
Okay so far I have

* FoodTravel + 2
* Felinefan
* Pasta Lover

I have 4-5 others who expressed interest after the sushi workshop but before the menu was proposed. There is another group with 3 interested in 1 day but I can always organize a 2nd one for them.

2016 Jun 10
I would be interested too.

2016 Jun 10
Yup.

2016 Jun 11
Hi Nutsandbolts,

Welcome to Ottawa Foodies. Let me know if you have some date restrictions...

2016 Jun 11
I forgot to mention that Julia was born in Taiwan and had worked at Rideau Club among other places in Ottawa after finishing Cordon Bleu.

I went to a class last Sun at T&T for glutinous rice dumplings similar to some of those sold in T&T and other places in Ottawa for Dragon's boat festival. My mom did try to teach me how to do them once before but she does not make them often and I learned some nice tips and tricks such as cooking the rice first in the rice cooker so it takes less time to cook and easier to handle. Also I came up with a slightly different idea of trying to make it in Ramekins since shaping those glutinous rice dumplings are pretty time consuming...

As to the dim sum proposed, I do know how to make spring rolls and had made them many times before but it is a popular dim sum item so okay to have on the agenda since I can pick up some ideas and tips.

I can also organize different workshops if there are enough interest in other items... One possibility that came up is lobster noodles with something else maybe wonton soup and/or others..

2016 Jun 17
Okay so far I have

* FoodTravel + 2
* Felinefan
* Pasta Lover
* GT +3
* Nuts and bolts? not active since June 10..

So 9 or 10 already and I have a few others interested so might need to do 2 but then when the dates are determined, some might fall by the wayside..

LF, are you interested still since I did not hear back from the last info..

2016 Jun 17
Depending upon the date, I'm interested

2016 Jun 18
Well advantage of a private workshop is that we can try to find a date that works for everyone in the fall (Sept / Oct).

Might take a bit of doing to compare schedules but possible :D

2016 Jun 19
I will be away from Aug. 25 to Sep. 3. but want to attend the workshop for sure. So any date outside those are fine.

2016 Jun 19
Depending upon the date, I'm interested

2016 Jun 30
Any date in Sept/Oct will be fine for me provided I get at least a weeks notice of exact date and time.

2016 Jul 20
Okay, I have 16-20 interested between Ottawa Foodies and another group so will be splitting it into 2 workshop. Likely first in August 10 or Aug 24, and a duplicate one in late September/October.

Wednesday is the day of preference for an evening class by the instructor Julia.
Currently the agenda is
* Shumai (usually pork or sometimes pork with shrimp)

Please vote on Dum Sum I
1) Date: Aug 10 or 24 or both dates okay or
would prefer 2nd duplicate session in Sept / Oct
2) Shumai - pork only or pork with shrimp
3) Spring rolls with pork or with shrimp

There are some other options offered and there may be enough dishes to organize a different dim sum workshop if there is enough interest..
* Potstickers or dumplings
* shrimp stuffed eggplant
* dessert - fried sesame balls with red bean paste.
So let me know if
4) interested in Dim Sum II

Thanks,
Mary

2016 Jul 20
I can go Aug. 10 but not Aug.24. I can also go to the second one, whatever works best for you, the organizer. I am not interested in Dim Sum II. Thanks, Mary.

2016 Jul 23
I am trying to book Aug 10th for the first workshop since I had 7 votes so far, 2 more than aug 24

2016 Jul 25
Okay we are confirmed for Aug 10 6-8pm & T&T with
* Ha Gow (shrimp dumpling)
* Sui Mai with pork and shrimp
* spring roll with pork

I don't think we have any vegetarians in our group. Let me know also if anyone have other food restrictions.

So roll call with the finalized plans...

2016 Jul 25
Excellent. I'll be there. Do we get to take anything home?

2016 Jul 25
I'll be there

2016 Jul 25
I will be there as well.

2016 Jul 25
Well FF you would have to refrain from eating some of your share in order to take some home to your hubby.
Usually much more than a snack but not completely a meal.. also if you want to take some home, bring a container

2016 Jul 26
The duplicate workshop would likely be Tuesday october 4th (backup date Sept 27) if it works for those on the later date. I have 3-4 already confirmed for that one. Nutsandbolt does that work for you?

For Aug 10 the list would be finalized soon since we are either 9 or 10 already and someone on waitlist if the one to be confirmed end up being a no

2016 Aug 1
Okay I have booked 2x Dim Sum workshops for Wed August 10 and Tues October 4 6-8pm. Menu is finalized for

* Shumai (pork with shrimp)

Most of OFs are on the 1st workshop on August 10
* FT + 1
* Felinefan
* Pasta Lover
* Lovetoeat
* iFish +3
* Still waiting for one of my group to get back to me if she is okay with work or not... If not we may have someone who is a visitor on OF on the waitlist

So likely 9 or 10 or $22.50 or $20 depending on numbers ($200 for whole workshop / number of people)

The 2nd workshop on October 4th
* FT group (2 or 3)
* Nutsandbolts
* Meetup people (3)
So 6 or 7 and counting lol...

2016 Aug 1
See you there! Thanks for organizing this.

2016 Aug 2
That menu sounds delicious! See you on the 10th.

FoodTravel How does the payment work? Do we pay you? Or T&T when we get there?....

2016 Aug 3
I will pay end of this week for the whole workshop $200 and you will pay me... We have 9 or 10 so will be $22.50 or $20.

2016 Aug 6
Okay went to T&T for a pan fried buns workshop Friday night and it ended up being handson for me and another since Julia needed help making them while she was frying them..

The August 10 workshop is all paid for now and you guys can pay me at the class. One of my friends asked to switch to the October workshop due to work deadlines. The person I had on the waitlist wanted to do it with a friend and we only had 1 spot for next week so she will likely remain with October session.

So we are for August 10:
* FT + 1
* Felinefan
* Pasta Lover
* Lovetoeat
* iFish +3
Which is 9 people so we can take 1 other person if someone is interested..

A side note.. The setup at T&T is not fancy but functional and the only issue I have had is the quality of the knifes in one hands on class where I had to ask for sharpening steel since the knife I got was very dull and of poor quality. The other hands on classes were okay but some people who are particular about the knifes they use brings their own knife(s) to the hands on class. You may choose to do the same if you are particular about your knifes...

If you might want to take anything home, bring a Tupperware or two.

2016 Aug 14
With 2 cancellatinos same afternoon we were 7 and had a great time. Did not have photos of the haw gow since everyone had doughy hands but here are some photos of the demo part and the hands on for spring rolls and shu mei

drive.google.com

I think all of us were so busy eating that we did not take photos of the finished products lol..

2016 Aug 24
Spring rolls made by our hands lined up and ready to jump into the oil bath

2016 Aug 24
Frying away

2016 Aug 24
Pork and shrimp Shu Mei that were made by us with purchased wrappers ready for the steamer

2016 Aug 24
We were too busy rolling the dough for the shrimp dumplings and wrapping ot up with the delicate dough that we did not take photo of that..

Plus we were so busy eating that we missed photographing the finished items but they were pretty tasty.

2016 Aug 25
Hey FoodTravel, is there a spot for me +1 for October 4th?

2016 Aug 25
No Oct 4th has a waitlist but the newly scheduled Sept 7th is at 8 right now with 5 paid and 3 promise to pay over the next couple of days. The Sept 7th one has 2 spots remaining.

I will be paying for it Aug 24th and now have a prepayment policy. Someone cancel at very short notice at the Aug one and did not make an effort to contact me other than pm here which I did not find till half hour into the workshop. So not only we lost time waiting for the person but I got stuck with the share of the person's workshop.

If you want the 2 spots for Sept 7th you need to speak up pretty soon since some of the people that are waitlist for Oct 4th are talking about checking schedule regarding Sept 7th.

2016 Aug 25
Alright sign me up +1 for sept 7th, please! Thanks!

2016 Aug 25
bebebeluga,

Check your PM under profile..

2016 Sep 8
Okay the 2nd Dim Sum I workshop ran Sept 7th and I think everyone enjoyed themselves.

Next Dim Sum I are Oct 4th and Oct 20th but both are full with waitlist. Might need to open a 5th Dim Sum I for Thursday Nov 3rd for the last of the waitlists lol

Then onto Dim Sum II Hands on with
* Shrimp and Pork Wontons
* Pot stickers or dumplings with pork and vegetables
* Shrimp stuff eggplant and peppers with black bean sauce?
Likely a Thursday Nov 24th..

There were some interested in dim sum desserts which would likely be Dim Sum III Hands on
* Flaky Egg tarts.
* Sesame balls with Red Bean Paste
Since the Flaky Egg tarts are going to be pretty complicated, it would count as a double selection so can only pair with a small Dim Sum

All of the above workshops would work on the basis of $200 for the whole workshop divided by the number of people. I am estimating $25 since I should be able to get others interested for at least 8 people per workshop. These would work on prepayment 1-2 weeks before the workshop since I got stuck once and I am on hook for the whole workshop once I book it..

2016 Sep 9
T&T has also pitched me a 2.5 hr hands on Thai workshop for total of $280 for up to 10 participants (so likely around $30 or so if we get 9 or 10 people) with a menu they have created...
* Tom Yum Goong - soup
* Spicy Mango Salad
* Pad Thai
so this would have a 2-3 course dinner essentially with the class.

I did just the Pad Thai in their regular hands on workshop with my niece and she had a vegetarian version with egg and I had the chicken one lol.

If anyone is interested in this Thai one, let me know by commenting :D Would not look at it till 2017 to be honest since I am starting to line up Dec already with the Dim Sums and likely a repeat of Sushi.

2016 Sep 9
If it was in 2017, I would likely be interested.

2016 Sep 9
Count me in.

2016 Sep 9
So lovetoeat and Felinefan are interested in Thai I presume rather than Dim Sum II or Dim Sum II in post above Thai?

2016 Sep 9
That's correct. I am only interested in the Thai one. Very interested.

2016 Sep 9
I'm interested in Thai because of the date and Dim sum II too but the potential date would conflict with US Thanksgiving for me. Again depending upon potential date for the Dessert dim sum, I would be interested.

2016 Sep 10
Got some photos from the Dim Sum I workshop on Sept 7th.. More at

drive.google.com

2016 Sep 10
Cooked spring rolls ready to serve

2016 Sep 10
Haw Gow / shrimp dumplings ready to steam

more photos at
drive.google.com

2016 Sep 29
Hi FF and Lovetoeat,

If you are interested in Pad Thai and other Thai offerings, it seems that Oct is Thai month...

www.tnt-supermarket.com
drive.google.com

And here is the information on the Thai workshop/dinner they offered
drive.google.com

2016 Sep 30
To register for the Pad Thai one, do I call them directly?

2016 Oct 1
Yes please or email is better since Sissi does not work Saturday.

2016 Nov 14
okay, I am moving onto Dim Sum II and Nov 24th evening is already full and Jan 14 1-3pm is already almost full and I am about to open another Thursday evening in Feb (maybe Feb 16?) for Dim Sum II hands on workshop with the menu. I will be collecting $25 so we can run the workshop with 8 people but if we get full at 10 people or go extra full at 11 with an additional payment, it can go down to $20.

* Shrimp stuff eggplant and peppers with black bean sauce

Let me know if you are interested...

T&T has also pitched me a 2.5 hr hands on Thai workshop for total of $280 for up to 10 participants (so likely around $30 or so +-2 if we get 9 or 10 people) with a menu they have created...
* Tom Yum Goong - soup
* Spicy Mango Salad
* Pad Thai
so this would have a 2-3 course dinner essentially with the class.

I have booked Thurs Jan 19 6-8:30pm and FF and lovetoeat have already said they were interested and RSVPed.. Let me know if you are interested in this date or the 2nd date (likely Feb 23 evening)..

2016 Nov 14
FT - thank you for organizing all of these workshops. I know it takes a lot of time and energy to keep everything organized.

2016 Nov 15
Seconding lovetoeat's comment -- FoodTravel, you are a gem at coordination!

I'm glad that I'm able to put my name down for not one, but two of the upcoming classes you're planning: I'd like to attend the Dim Sum II workshop in January if there is still room (February 16 date also works in the event you're already full), as well as the Thai workshop on Thursday, January 19.

These are some of the dishes I've always wanted to be taught. Exciting!

2016 Nov 15
Okay just checked and it seems that there is spots for both so far although Jan 14 is starting to fill up and I have not announced either yet.. 50+ people expressed interest in Thai so I expect I will get a 2nd or 3rd date...

Sat Jan 14 1-3pm Dim Sum II Hands on $25 but if we are full at 10 people as I expect it would be $20 since full private workshop is $200.
* iFish +3
* lovetoeat
* Sparrow Seed +1
With Menu
* Shrimp stuff eggplant and peppers with black bean sauce?
The filling preparations and cooking are demoed but making the wontons, pot stickers and stuffing the eggplant / pepper are hands on.

Thurs Jan 19 6-8:30pm Thai / Pad Thai Hands on $35 and down to $28 if we hit 10 since full private premium workshop is $280.
* FelineFan
* lovetoeat
* Sparrow Seed +1
with menu
* Tom Yum Goong - soup
* Spicy Mango Salad
* Pad Thai
I did the Pad Thai on their regular workshop and you take turn cooking the pad thai on the stove(s).

To be safe, I am estimating 8 for the workshop in communicating costs and if we get to max of 10, better yet and we can get a lower price :D I have not been to Chinese Cooking School which charges $65-85 per class but Julia is excellent and Le Cordon Bleu Ottawa trained and you can go to classes there at a fantastic price. T&T I think does not charge full costs for these workshop by upping it with overhead and coordinator costs, just variable costs like food, chef, assistant.

2016 Dec 3
I also booked 3rd Dim Sum II Feb 9th and 2nd Thai Feb 23.

2016 Dec 15
Do you have space for 2 on the Dim Sum II workshop?

2016 Dec 21
Hi Robyn,

I am looking right now and Jan 14 afternoon is full at 10 (7 from here with guests and 3 others from meetup or other T&T workshops) and all are people that are not likely to cancel..

The Feb 9th evening I was holding 2 spots for people I know but they will likely cancel due to conflict. I have 2 people in the waitlist but could slot you in there since there are a couple that are not that reliable so the ones on the waitlist should get on too..

Let me know if you want 2 spots for the Feb 9 6-8pm session and if you are willing to pay a couple of weeks before. If so could you also PM me your name, email and phone please.

2017 Jan 3
HI all

We are running into issue for the Jan 14 Dim Sum II Workshop since Julia wad asked by Algonquin culinary program to teach baking on sat on addition to the 2 days she is alreday doing.

Some option for rescheduling are:
* Jan 16 6-8 pm
* Monday evening 2nd half of feb
* saturday afternoon in March

Please let me know if you have any preference or restrictions..

2017 Jan 3
Hi FT,

The Saturday afternoon reschedule in March would be the option that works for us.

Is the Thai workshop on the 19th still a go as far as you know?

Cheers,

Jay

2017 Jan 3
Yes, Thai on Jan 19th is still a go.. The only conflict was Saturdays Jan till early March..

2017 Jan 11
Sparrowseed, sent you a PM here and an email. Can you contact me by Thursday to arrange for payment of Thai on Jan 19 since I have to pay by this weekend for the workshop.

Okay those with spots on Jan 14 Dim Sum II originally please note that workshop is likely rescheduled to Apr 22 since T&T locked down till early March and some scheduling got a tad difficult till early April then running into Easter.

If you prefer an earlier date, there might be a weekday workshop before i.e. Feb 9th that is running but not sure if it is fully booked or not so I can put you on waitlist for that if you prefer it to waiting till April.

2017 Jan 20
Okay I hope the Thai workshop went well Thurs night. I popped in 2/3rd way through the workshop after grabbing a bite and shopping for my parents and all seem to be busy cooking and eating.

2017 Jan 21
Robyn,

Are you still interested in Dim Sum II? I might have a couple of spaces in either the one in February (Feb 9 Thurs evening) or April (Apr 22 Sat afternoon)

If so can you send me your full name, email and phone please for registration purpose? Also would you be able to pay in advance by a couple of weeks?

Cheers,
Mary

2017 Jan 25
Is there any space left for the Feb class? Or will there be another class in March (weekday evening)? Me and a few friends are interested. Thanks!

2017 Jan 27
New user 6436,

Can you message me with your full name, email and phone please and how many spots you are looking for? I think only 1 spot remain for Feb ...

Thanks,

2017 Apr 20
For the Dim Sum II on Apr 22th 1pm, lovetoeat cancelled and I am trying to fill it from the waitlist so from OF there are:

* iFish + 3
* Sparrow Seed +1

Sparrow seed, could you contact me to pay for the workshop?