Street Food / Cheap Eats Downtown Toronto [Travel]

2016 May 16
Hey folks, surprising the kids with a long weekend in Toronto. Staying near Maple Leaf Gardens and looking for cheap eats / street food in the area. Just too expensive to take a family of 6 to a restaurant for every meal! Plus the kids really like street food and that's more of an adventure for them than a restaurant.

Any recommendations?

2016 May 16
i used to live around there. Good pizza(love at first bite...i think) and shawarma spot on gerrard between church and Jarvis. Mutual street diner was ok. salad king, crazy cheap thai and good!

2016 May 17
Bahn Mi Boys on Yonge is great and inexpensive.

2016 May 17
Chinatown at Dundas and Spadina is a neat place to visit. I've been to Lee Garden on Spadina - I enjoyed my meal and it was reasonably priced. Their menu is on their website here: www.leegardenspadina.ca/

If you will be there in July or August the city has a "Tasty Thursdays" event at Nathan Phillips Square. More info is here: www.toronto.com

The city also has an outdoor market at Nathan Phillips Square on Wednesdays during the lunch hour if that would interest you. The market is only open in July and August though.

2016 May 17
St. Lawrence Market.

Not everything is cheap, but there are some gems to be found and definitely has the right feel.

2016 May 17
A couple more favourites would include The Senator (I love their breakfasts but they serve lunches and dinners too) and the Trinity Square Café (only open weekday lunches but very good and lunches are inexpensive). There is also the Kensington Market.

If you go to the St. Lawrence Market apparently the peameal bacon on a bun from Carousel Bakery is popular.