Lead for local gourmet gift basket [General]

2016 May 5
Hi all,

I need to go to a funeral on Sat. with some family. I was going to send flowers but they asked me not to so was thinking of sending a gourmet gift basket as a sympathy gift since there are quite a few foodies in the group.

I have used gifttree in the US and got some nice gourmet food with a reusable picnic basket or something similar for friends and family before. Looking for leads on local good quality gift baskets filled with savory and sweet gourmet things. If I really have to I can probably put one together but prefer one I can call and get it sorted.

Anyone have experience with local companies doing gift baskets?

2016 May 5
Boushey's does gift baskets with nice stuff in them.

2016 May 5
Jacobsons on Beechwood does nice looking gift baskets.

2016 May 5
Yeah saw them on the google.. Have you bought from them strawberrygirl? If so how is the quality of the stuff?

2016 May 5
Flandroid,

what type of basket? More savory or sweet and is it more shelf stable or refridgerated?

2016 May 5
I imagine they would do sweet, savoury, or a mix of both, if you told them what you were looking for. Not sure about refrigerated or not, though.

The ones I've seen ready to leave the shop were, hm, standard wicker baskets? Not picnic baskets, just big round baskets with a big braided hoop handle and crinkly cellophane and ribbons.

2016 May 6
I've never bought a basket from Jacobsons, just saw them in the store. They have some set ones but I think you can also customize.

2016 May 6
Great.. Will be going around today including Jacobson, Nicastro, Bousey's, Wellington for Ottawa Bagel shop and thyme and again and Whole Foods.

I think I might try to customize...

There are a few gift basket type companies with operations in Ottawa that might be able to do quick local deliveries but not sure about Sat deliveries

Warm Wishes Gifts
www.warmwishesgifts.ca/

Dream Weaver
www.dreamweavergifts.ca/

Kit & Kaboodles
www.kitandkaboodlesbaskets.com

Givopoly
ottawa.givopoly.com/

Cranberry Corners
www.cranberrycornersgiftbaskets.com

Ottawa Valley Gift Baskets
www.ottawavalleygiftbaskets.ca

BloomEx (Flowers and Gift Baskets)
bloomex.ca/Gift-Baskets.html

Fresh Flower and Gift Basket Company on Albert
www.freshflowerco.com

2016 May 6
This is what I have ordered from Gifttree in the US for some friends and family in the past... The product mix was slightly different before I think with a dry sausage included but some savory including smoked salmon and sweet with a reusable basket.

www.gifttree.com

2016 May 6
I've ordered the Brunch gift basket from life of Pie through Givopoly. It was very well received

2016 May 6
Edible Arrangements is very nice if you want to give something fresh that can be served right away (like at a reception / meal of condolence). Looks like they have some sort of Mother's say special at the moment.

www.ediblearrangements.ca/

In terms of the options above. I really like the Fresh Flower and Gift Basket company on Albert St. - however, the food items will all be packaged non-perishables such as jams or other types of spreads, gourmet cookies or crackers, that sort of stuff, like what you get at a very nice/high end gift shop. You can go in and customize. But it is more like the kind of stuff that would go to one or two people and not shareable. Depends what you are looking for ... i.e., something for one or two particular people to enjoy later or something that can be used/consumed over the coming days post funeral, etc.

2016 May 6
Forgot to mention that I have ordered Edible Arrangements for a friend after her child was born and they had family visiting from out of town. I got very good feedback.

2016 May 6
There is 6 people and not sure the out of town family is coming or not..

I am leaning toward customizing since we have a vegetarian, a diabetic, a no red meat in the mix lol...

Edible arrangements would probably not work. I was told not to send flowers since it is only for a 2 hour ceremony and they already ordered plus others are sending it without ability to refuse.. I think they would view the edible arrangement as being more look than really something you can bite your teeth into. There are a few foodies in the family so a groumet food basket is the best choice but I need to customize since most set basket I have seen have some things that would not work well.

2016 May 6
This wouldn't work for this weekend because it doesn't start until May 19th. Thyme and Again has "Cottage Kits"

The “Ready-to-Serve” Kit is all set for your table with no fuss. The only effort you need to make is to quickly warm up the dishes prepared by our chefs ahead of time.
The “Grill-Ready” Kit is for passionate home cooks who enjoy some time spent over the grill, and includes recipe suggestions from our chefs.
Our “Thanks for Hosting” is full of wonderful Thyme & Again goodies to ensure you’re invited back to the Cottage.
In addition to each package, you can select from a wide assortment of Thyme & Again pantry classics, snacks, frozen dinners, desserts, and other favourites

www.thymeandagain.ca

2016 May 7
Okay did a round of most of them yesterday and here are my impressions:

jacobsons.ca
Jacobsons probably have the nicest baskets in terms of the actual basket types available and the quality of the stuff placed in them. The ones on top seem to be cardboard boxes whereas the ones below have some kind of reusable container. Good to see examples of baskets that are ready to roll so you can see what is actually in them. Not sure the ones displayed can be purchased or are just examples...

You can customized it and they definitely stand out but not cheap since the highest priced basket was something like $370.

2016 May 7
Some ready made gift baskets at Jacobsons for mothers day I presume with floral arrangement and gourmet foods in a nice painted box.. Cannot remember the exact prices but both of them were over $100.

2016 May 7
www.labottega.ca

La Bottega had 3 baskets ready to roll, 2@ $60 and 1@ $100. All are primarily filled with Italian goods and online orders offer 4 sizes starting at $50.
Sorry the picture is not very good.

Customizable...

2016 May 7
bousheys.com
Boushey's have gift baskets from $40 - 200 and may included some of fresh fruits, chocolates, cookies, candies, dried fruits, cheeses, crackers, biscuits, teas, coffees, pates, jams.

The ultimate may also include cakes, canned meats, pates, mustards, pickles and whatever you want.

All Baskets need to be pre-ordered and nothing is available to swing by and pick up. If the lady that is doing the gift baskets is working and have time, they might be able to get a basket together very quickly but best to allow 1-2 day lead time ..

2016 May 7
www.thymeandagain.ca
Thyme and Again have some standard gift baskets from $40-150 and up for Tea, Coffee, Sweet, Savory, and gourmet themes and some may be customized to have a variety of Thyme & Again products including: Preserves & Salsas, Chutneys & Jams, Chocolate Dipped Gingerbread, and Spicy Pecans.

Baskets need to be pre-ordered and they asked for 2 days advanced notice to create your basket.

2016 May 7
www.ottawabagelshop.com
Ottawa Bagel Shop has some standard themes for gift baskets and they come in 3 sizes each, $85, 95, 125 with minimal purchase being $85.

The baskets can be customized with roughly $20 being the material and labour cost charged for the gift basket. Delivery can be organized for $20 for Ottawa.

Baskets need to be pre-ordered and they asked for 2 day notice for online orders of standard gift baskets but you may be able to get a basket made with shorter notice but it is one person that makes it normally so would depend on her schedule.

2016 May 7
Whole foods Market at Landsdown seem to be introducing a gift basket program and in the poster within the elevator, it mentioned some standard baskets that can be ordered as well as customized ones in different sizes.

I was looking at large custom gourmet basket and about $20 would be charged for labour and materials and the ones I saw had a large gift basket making fee of $20 include some nylon picnic baskets options in a few different color/patterns as well as 2 wire basket lined with burlap or cloth. I think some smaller ones may be $10 for gift basket making fees.

There seem to be some basket ready made but not sure if they were orders or if you can purchase. Whole Foods is the most flexible in that you can include some of your own items that they don't sell like wine, etc.

Delivery can be arranged for a $10 fee and likely 1 day notice is needed but you might be lucky and get one quicker if you order earlier in the day and if they are not short staffed.

Did not find any link on their website so it is a call or go in person type of ordering..

2016 May 7
Ended up picking it up and hand delivery it due to short time frame, variable schedule and perishible nature of some of the stuff in the basket.

The chateauneuf du Pape wine, 2x rosette de lyon sausages, almond Roca, seed to sausage duck procioutto and Chirozo and Thirteen granola and Rochon blueberry jam I brought to whole foods and selected / bought 4 cheeses, Calabrese sausage, nuts, hummingbird and Olivia chocolates and crackers / artisanal crisps at wholefoods so only about half of the stuff in the basket came from whole foods...

It came in a reusable picnic basket. Would have preferred blue but either they could not find or someone forgot so got the green one I saw yesterday and too late to do anything about it. ..

2016 May 8
Took a picture of the poster / flyer in the elevator about the gift baskets @ whole foods...

2016 May 18
I like to make my own baskets, but did not know Whole Foods has them, good to know.

Online I have bought stuff from Well.ca as a family member was in another province and Well does not really have baskets,so my items were in a regular box.
But I figured my 82 year old stepfather would most likely give away the basket part or throw it out.

The regular grocery store is also good for baskets as there are many fancy packaged crackers,jams,sauces.
One Chrismas my sister's boyfriend got 10 dif sauces from the grocery store from me.
-he was quite pleased with the gift!

But if you go to a funeral, I guess you do need the basket part.

Nicastro's does nice baskets and there is some place in the Byward Market called Canada in a Basket,it is in the food building with all the small stalls.