Ottawa's Coffee Culture feature in paper [General]

2016 May 1
ottawacitizen.com

Laura Robin's story on the growing Ottawa coffee culture scene was in yesterday's paper and on her blog and made for some interesting reading. I have already heard about many of the new coffee shops now in Ottawa and maybe read about them here on OttawaFoodiees, and have tried some of them. News to me was the Latte Art Throwdown at Art Is In that occurred in March; the fact that OF poster Anne Waters used to help her parents put the coffee in the grinder at the A&P when they went grocery shopping and I guess she enjoyed the smell (same with me, maybe even the same A&P - Eight O'Clock coffee perhaps?); another interesting fact I took away was that Ian Clark and Tracy Clark at Bridgehead are not related - he's the guy who turned me on to the Clever brewer with his recommendation more than 3 years ago on coffeed.com.

My biggest disappointment about the article was that there was no mention of the (growing?) underground movement of home coffee roasters keen to drink and share their own coffees, and may even sell them.

My favourite quote from the article is actually a quote from NYT coffee columnist Oliver Strand: "If you start to nerd out on coffee, you stop getting lattes because you realize it’s not about the coffee, it’s about the milk."

2016 May 1
Tracy Clark is the daughter of Peter Clark, a one time regional chair and latterly an ottawa city councillor.

2016 May 1
Indeed it was Eight O'Clock coffee at the A&P! My gateway drug.

I too know someone who does home roasting. Smelly business left for the garage and beyond. Interesting that you mention the world of roasters and how that is growing, whether home roasters or the flourish of commercial roasters. Wasn't Pierre Richard's launch of Happy Goat Coffee a garage business first using MacGyver-ed Ronco Rotisserie Ovens before he bought a 'real' coffee roasting machine? I think if Laura had more space there would have been something on this. As it was, I was pleasantly surprised at how much ink was given to the topic of coffee.

BTW, another coffee shop is opening tomorrow. (Or should I say at least one.)

I have a friend visiting family in Rome right now. She said the macchiato she had this morning was excellent. And thinks her Roman coffees may have ruined her interest in Ottawa coffee shops. That's high praise. She says they don't fuss over latte art either.

I remember in Paris that take out coffee was frowned upon. It seems to be the same in Rome. Always have your drink in a porcelain cup. If you are in a hurry then you stand at the bar to drink and don't bother with sitting at a table. Her 'standing macchiato' this morning was .90 Euros. That's about $1.29. I like that kind of pricing.

Suffice it to say, multinationals are trying to imitate independent coffee shop experiences for a reason. People want an alternative.

2016 May 1
Hi Anne, it's good to see an OF poster getting some good press! I was thinking that perhaps it was the A&P where Produce Depot is now on Carling Ave that your parents and mine bought their Eight O'Clock coffee and ground it, yes? I will take your word for Pierre's path to success; I know I saw his coffees for sale in M&B's Butchery on Beechwood yesterday. I hope your friend finds the coffee in Ottawa better than she remembers on her return - I think just being in Rome (or Florence or Venice, etc.) just makes the espresso taste better (my experience) and expect the same for her macchiato. As for the price she must have been drinking at a local spot rather than a touristy spot, yes?

Would that reason be $? (Rhetorical ? - the multinationals would love to get a higher return)

Btw I remember when freeze-dried coffee became popular; there wasn't as much percolated coffee in our house after that.

2016 May 2
Can confirm that Happy Goat used a Ronco for a very long time.

Cooled via a MacGyver-ed shop-vac too.

2016 May 2
Thanks bwc, I can relate as I'm using a M'Gyver'd Dirt Devil vac for cooling - my ds left the vac in our basement when he moved to Calgary.

2016 May 2
Nice article! I agree that Italian coffee ruined me - espresso based drinks are generally affordable and everywhere. Caffè Terzi in Bologna definitely raised the bar for me. Incomparable.

2016 May 2
Andy, my A&P experience was closer to Toronto. Pierre Richard sold Happy Goat a few years ago so there is a different team in place roasting coffee under that name and in a bigger facility over on Laurel street with a much larger roaster.

The whole angle of Italian coffee interests me. Especially in light of your comment too Chimichimi.

As for Italian coffee shops here in Ottawa, I just haven't found the same charm and taste as I did when I was in Italy. Someone commented with distain on the Citizen article that listed some of my favourites. I'm not sure what the pot shot was about regarding Italian coffee as he didn't elaborate. I don't know if I need to be drinking more cappuccinos or going to more Italian coffee shops here in Ottawa. So far I haven't found one that is consistently solid and making a drink to my taste.

I know some think you're not a coffee drinker if you mess with milk but my gut just can't take black coffee anymore, including a steady diet of espresso shots straight up. I will forever be a espresso drink cheater. At least I prefer full milk and cream. I hope that redeems me in someone's eyes!

2016 May 2
This is also a very interesting read. Pull out Google Translate if your French is iffy. Interesting to have another big coffee story coming out at the same time as Ottawa's. Coffee is the talk of the country I guess.

www.lapresse.ca

When I go to Montreal, part of our day is spent exploring coffee shops. They have plenty of decent ones to choose from. My daily max is 3 so it will be a while before I try all of their best. Same can be said for Toronto. Lots to pick from. At least in the downtown core. Scarborough, not so much.

2016 May 3
Re: Italian coffee - according to my Roman friends, you find crappy burnt coffee in bars across Italy. It's just not as crappy as the coffee we get here in NA. lol
Italians in general will not pay more than 1.25 ish euro for their coffee.

Anne - have you tried a flat white at Nutty Greek? It's pretty darn good imo. Make sure Anna makes it.

2016 May 3
It was Cuban coffee in Miami that ruined it for me.

Prompted a way too expensive espresso machine (that is glorious) and more frequent trips to Ogdensburg.

Italian is all good but I can get equivalent from the Goat most days.

2016 May 3
I did not catch that comment on the Citizen article - I'll have to tag you on a few of my IG photos from Caffè Terzi to show you the amazingness of Italian espresso Food is Fun! Must say, the cappuccino at Chez Edgar is damned good, the foam... That machine... Something magical is going on there. Also, feel no shame for milking your coffee, there's no point in consuming something you don't enjoy, prepare/make it however it pleases you!

2016 May 4
Here is the fellow's comment.

2016 May 4
lovetoeat, thanks for the tip for The Nutty Greek. When I am in that neighbourhood I have been going to Morning Owl on Rochester so now I can mix it up.

Chimichimi, thanks for the Edgar tip. My coffee experience here is from more the early days. Sounds like I need to be having a capp when I go in next.

OSoloMeal, I think I need to hear more about what's happening on the Ogdensburg trips!!

2016 May 4
Hmmm, sounds like some people think Ottawa cafés might need to raise their game. Here's part 1 of the 1st person story of how a part owner of Summit Café in N. Carolina came to realize that he needed to improve his coffee even though his café was quite successful and people were often lined up out the door. He raises a lot of issues about employees, customers and success in business, and I'm looking forward to hearing how he has dealt with these issues over the past 2 years of change in part 2.

www.freshcup.com

"authoress"??? ✂️

2016 May 4
FiF: cross border shopping at the UPS store. Can't get the good stuff here. :)

2016 May 7
Yeah, even ignoring the misspelling of cappuccino, anyone who uses the term 'authoress' loses any credibility in my eyes.

It might also be worth mentioning that Italy (where cappuccino was invented) is also the land of over-roasted coffee that makes many aficionados cringe with its lack of sourness and depth. For the record, I tend to prefer my coffee dark-roasted... just making the point that excellence and preference can sway in many directions. :)

2016 May 7
The feedback continues. There have been letters sent to the paper too. Passionate pitches for Giovanni's Snack Bar, Happy Goat Coffee and Gaia Java.

ottawacitizen.com

I'm with you, warby. It is better to say 'favourite' instead of 'best'. What pleases one palate may not be a match for someone else.

I do love all the chatter about coffee. I chuckled at the suggestion that the article had shortcomings since it focused on 'established chains'. When I say the word 'chains', I think of those multinationals like Starbucks and Second Cup and Tim Horton's.

Whatever keeps people's coffee experience a happy one. Bottom's up.