Charcuterie supplies and process [General]

2016 Apr 22
Hi, I know there were some posts about this years ago, but anyone know where to buy curing salts, casings and netting, along with fermenting bacteria, and white mold starter.

2016 Apr 24
What is it you plan to make? You can get hog casings from many groc stores. Nicastros sells beef casings and of course Lavergne has them all including lamb. For mail order I have used both the sausage maker and butcher packer.

If you have never made anything like this before I would suggest you start with some whole muscle recipes. Season, salt & cure. Smoke if needed. Then work your way up to ground pork recipes. With the right cure it is no problem but you could be fermenting raw pork at 90F for a couple days and you better understand what you are doing before moving on to one of those recipes :)

Plus fall is a better time of year for it with the cooler temps unless you have a fridge set up just for curing ground items.

Whole muscle recipes are much easier to not screw up and not the same health risks.

that is just my 0002

2016 Apr 26
Amazon.ca is a decent source for some of the more obscure stuff. Where do you live? pm if you want.

Also what are you looking at making?

2016 Apr 26
Hey Krusty

Do you have the time and the interest to do a charcuteries class or another sausage class?

The last one was a lot of fun...

2016 Apr 27
Hi FT:

Certainly was fun but life at the moment is a bit complicated with a lack of extra time. I do have some pigs ready to go but the local abattoir shut down recently so have to take them much further away. It is on my to do list.

K

2016 Apr 28
Fair enough. Guess with a growing child things are pretty busy :D

I would be interested in some pork when the pigs goes if you have some extras..

2016 May 8
Has anyone tried to make duck prosciutto? I found this
ruhlman.com

I bought some duck prosciutto from seed to sausage for a gift basket and it was $12 for about 100-110 g duck breast so over $10-12 / 100g. The smoked duck breast I asked them to check was about 130g for $12 and they were all tiny and sold by the piece so $9-11/100g and it was one of the larger ones so meat press is much more reasonable at $5/100g.