Packaged pepper pet peeve. [General]

2016 Apr 19
So, I am at the Bank/Alta Vista YIG, and I need a couple jalapeņo peppers. They come in a plastic wrapped styro tray, 226g for 399$. I have to buy more peppers than I will use, the rest will go bad, so I have to pay for stuff I'm not going to eat, and I have to dispose of several non recyclable components. Why? Don't answer, I know why, it's a rhetorical question. But it makes me so mad, and I'm sure others have similar issues. . . . . . . .

2016 Apr 19
You got that right Pete!

2016 Apr 19
That's really unusual, every other YIG/Loblaws I've bought them at just had them loose. Half a pound is way more than most people would use, too, that's gotta be what, 8-10 peppers?

2016 Apr 19
Agree that it's annoying, but you can freeze them. You can also shop at places that sell them individually. I think Farm Boy sells them loose and definitely a place like Produce Depot.

2016 Apr 19
399$ now that is just crazy talk!

2016 Apr 19
T & T sells pretty much all their vegetables pre-packaged. I was there not long ago wanting Shanghai bok choy which come in what seems like about 20 to a pack. I got the produce guy and he opened a package and gave me the 4 that I wanted.

2016 Apr 19
The No Frills in Orleans sells them the same way, so I assume it's a Blablas thing ,although they are not at 4$ a half pound at the NF. I know there are many places that sell them loose, which is as it should be, but it's not just peppers, for the longest time my neighbourhood Metro only sold mushrooms prepackaged. Anyway, my story had a happy ending, I went home hopped on my bike, into the market, bought 2 peppers and avocado at the little fruit/veg place, to the LC, bought wine then home, then nachos. . . . . . . . . Happy endings.
BTW I have never tried freezing jalapenos, do I blanch them first?

2016 Apr 20
I freeze my jalapeņos whole.

2016 Apr 20
I freeze them whole, not blanched, or blackened on the BBQ, then skinned and destemmed; I also dry and grind some and pickle some.

2016 Apr 20
If I see in-store pre-packaged vegetables and they post a per/lb. price, I have often opened a package and bagged it in the clear plastic bag. I've never had anyone baulk at that.

I'm scuppered when there is no price per weight price.

2016 Apr 20
I am driven crazy by this. Mostly the packaging part. I have even on occasion ditched the clamshell packaging at the cash putting it in the retailer's garbage. If we ALL did this it would cost the retailers big bucks for garbage, and the retailer might re think. Anyone want to join me?

2016 Apr 20
I'm with you SSG, BTW, where on the South Shore?

2016 Apr 21
Those clamshell ones are mostly recyclable

2016 Apr 22
Not in Ottawa they aren't! We check regularly.

2016 Apr 22
Hungry Pete- Chester Basin, between Hali and Lunenburg. Love it!

2016 Apr 24
SSgirl, Hilchies Fish, and the Turkeyburger, do those names mean anything to you?

2016 Apr 25
Turkeyburger yes but where is Hilchie's????

2016 Apr 25
Hilchie's was a fish store that also had a small diner/takeout in Chester. I used to eat there all the time=but this is going back 35 years or so. It seems to have closed. There was/is, I think, still a mom and pop motel called the Windjammer between Chester and the Basin. I'm originally from Halifax, and I still drive down to the Turkeyburger when I'm in town.

2016 Apr 26
Oh...THAT Hilchies.....Been gone for years.....Condos gentrification...ugh. Thats why we are in Chester Basin, rather than Chester!! Windjammer is still there, but the restaurant there closed.

2016 Apr 26
I'm going to NS today, any other SS spots I should know about?
It's weird to think of Chester as becoming gentrified. . . . . . . .

2016 Apr 26
Thread drift ...

2016 Apr 27
Okay Zig. Point taken. I sent Hungry Pete my complete list of South Shore restos privately!