Coffee trends: bitters, spices, flavours, etc.... [General]

2016 Apr 8
Maybe for me, maybe not... For now I'm happy with my coffee black, but you don't know til you try it I guess. I like lots of different flavours in my beer while other flavours not so much. Is this trend here in Ottawa anywhere? Maybe I haven't been paying attention. www.freshcup.com

Might be something for OF's really horrible and bitter fella to pursue, yes?

2016 Apr 9
I've been looking at that for a while, but haven't been able to find a coffee place willing to take a chance yet.

Reading the article, you can really get what they're talking about. At first you think, "What the hell?" It starts to make sense when you look at the bitters as one ingredient among several.

3 of our 6 bitters are citrus based (lemon, lime, orange), and it takes a certain kind of combination to make that work in coffee. However, the cherry/vanilla and the CANgostura are quite nice. I've tried them mixed into the milk before frothing for a latte, but haven't been much more experimental than that. Hellfire? That one I've tried once. It's a real eye opener.

I used to say that I'd never try a spiced rum. This is when I was 20. You get your mend set on things for stupid reasons and then you unset them for smart ones. If you aren't happy with the taste of something, that's exactly what spices are for! For the record, my favourite rums are the spiced ones. Not to put too fine a point on it, but I have a birthday coming up as well. Nudge nudge.

2016 Apr 21
Seems legit.

The difference between this and Starbucks-style flavoured coffee beverages is like the difference between a high quality carefully curated dining experience and a McDonald's Big Mac Meal.

I'm surprised someone in town isn't doing this already, to be honest, but I don't really go out of my way to order coffee drinks when I'm out and about.

I do use someone's fancy vanilla in my coffee at home, though. It makes my tastebuds sing, particularly if I heated my brew water with a cinnamon stick. :)

2016 Apr 22
As long as it is not just a way to hide shitty coffee.