Whoops, I accidentally offended you [General]

2016 Mar 20
Moved to the forums from ottawafoodies.com

Sorry that you get offended by such trivialities Bobby Fillet

A google search suggests you are right and the therm "the wife" is sometimes considered slightly derogatory. But I'm afraid you cannot necessarily attribute that to someone else's use of the term. It is news to me that this is considered by some to be improper.

Growing up we proudly used the term "Bohunk" to refer to our Ukrainian heritage. It was not until I was in university that I learned it was a derogatory word. But guess what, I'm not letting anyone else steal it from me because we always used it proudly growing up, and I always will.

So if you don't like my use of a term, I would say that is your problem, not mine.

2016 Mar 20
Oh oh..SHTF.......

2016 Mar 20
"The wife" isn't offended. "The wife" doesn't like his liberal over-use of the term "fancy pants" when selecting a place to eat out, however. ;)

"The wife" is no different than many other common terms of endearment, and to me far less offensive than being referred to by a diminutive like "Sweetie" or "Darling".

"The wife" had a lovely evening out, dining at one of her favourite restaurants in the 'hood, and looks forward to doing it again soon!

2016 Mar 20
On a related note - back when I was in my early teens my father for whatever reason asked me to never refer to him as "the old man" when talking amongst friends. And out of respect for him I never did. Not once.

But I know that for lots of people that is a term of endearment. Or more often than not, a completely neutral term to use. Who am I to judge?

2016 Mar 20
Curiously enough, one regular on this site is in the habit of referring to his spouse/partner as "the dragon lady", and nobody has ever said "peep" to him about it that I recall.

ottawafoodies.com

2016 Mar 20
And what about the one who refers to 'wifey'? Or used to. I find that very condescending.

2016 Mar 20
I never call out Rizak when he refers to "the dragon lady" because he's tres kewlio.

BTW. As a foodie, one's "liberal over-use of the term "fancy pants" when selecting a place to eat out" is much more offensive to me .... and at least one other in here.

2016 Mar 20
Dragonlady here. Just so no one gets on Rizak's back, it's a term of endearment. Yes. Really.
NTT. I too would be offended by the liberal over-use of the term "fancy pants" when selecting a place to eat out.

2016 Mar 20
I'm not offended by your use of the term NTT, but slightly perturbed that now you are using it in public and not just with me.
We'll have to talk about this privately, and away from public scrutiny. You know, keeping private those things that should be kept private.

#winkwink

2016 Mar 20
Can we focus on the real issue here....?
Zym's dislike for scallops.

Because this obviously means Zym is a communist. Possibly a clone. Probably a cylon as well. ...and I for one am pretty frikkin perturbed by this.

2016 Mar 21
Yeah I basically never called out Rizak because it always seemed to me to be something they were both quite happy with. Which puts it firmly into the territory of none of my damned business.

2016 Mar 21
Seriously?!? I stand with you on your use of fancy-pants, zym.

I absolutely LOVE the term 'fancy-pants' and I use it all the time! But I might think twice about uttering those words on here now. ;-)

In addition to 'the term that must not be named', I adore scallops. And the overuse of exclamation points. I really do!! And starting sentences with 'and'.

EDIT: I just did a search of this site on 'the term that must not be named', and zym came up 6 times, and I came up 5 times!

2016 Mar 21
Where do we stand on the variations la ti da, and fancy shmanzy? This is an important issue!

2016 Mar 21
Seriously .......!!.....
PC.is destroying everything.....

2016 Mar 22
As an owner of many pairs of fancy pants, I am deeply, deeply offended.

Oh, wait, no I'm not.

2016 Mar 22
i'm offended by no one being offended by calling someone as offensive as "tres kewlio".

offended yours,

east coast chef

2016 Mar 24
Hmm, well said Zym. Just a small pet peeve of mine, but perhaps beer, pet peeves and a keyboard aren't always a great mix. Brief entertainment value. Happy Easter everyone!

2016 Mar 24
New User 5848 - President's Choice isn't all bad....

2016 Mar 24
You are a good sport, Bobby Fillet!

And this was a highly entertaining thread, thanks for that. :-)

2016 Mar 24
In my books, too much beer excuses just about anything on the Internet :-)

I started a discussion about this on my facebook page, and what I discovered was that no matter what term you use, someone won't like it. I had one strong feminist tell me that "my wife" was wrong because it assumed she was my possession. I had another strong feminist tell me that "the wife" was only wrong if I had more than one (she practices polyarmoury). The term "partner" was also problematic for many.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

What I learned was there will never be a term that everyone will be happy with. So we best just all deal with it.

2016 Mar 24
Haha, so true. *knuckle bump*

Thanks Organicgirl! That I am! More to come I'm sure...as I open my first beer of a long weekend...hahaha

2016 Mar 24
'She practices polyarmoury' makes me think of Joan of Arc.

2016 Mar 24
Whoops - well she also practices that too - both with and without the 'r' :-)