April Wine Tasting Dinner at Divino Wine Studio [General]

2016 Mar 10
As discussed in the longer Wine tasting thread, the April entry in the OF wineing and dining "club" is at Divino Wine Studio

Divino Wine Studio
225 Preston Street
www.divinowinestudio.com

On Tuesdays, they offer a three course meal for 35.00, includes antipasto, primo, and secondo from a special menu.

For wine there are 2 options

Wine pairing package - 35.00
Includes a glass of Prosecco to start and a 3oz wine pairing with each course (antipasto, primo, and secondo).
This would be wines paired specifically to the foods that you choose and in discussion with the sommelier.

Wine Flight - 12.00
Includes four 2oz wines
Wines are pre-selected by the sommelier based on flavour profiles. So if you say you like an oakey Chardonnay, he will pour you something with the same flavour profile.

Possible dates are either April 19th or April 26th

The following people have expressed interest in a wine tasting

*LovetoEat - either date
* Pasta Lover either date
* FoodTravel - either date
* LF - April 26th
* Strawberry girl and HB
* Chef Bunny

Please respond with your date preference. And if anyone else would like to join us, please do. The more the merrier.

If people are interested, depending upon the numbers we may be able to be seated at the chefs table. Divino has an open kitchen and the chefs table overlooks the kitchen.

2016 Mar 10
That's a great deal:) looking forward it (either date with preference for the 26;)

I took a cooking class with them before, great venu, wine selection and friendly:)

2016 Mar 12
I am still interested and both evenings work for me.

2016 Mar 13
I should be back from a trip and both dates works for me

2016 Mar 13
Either date should work for us, although the 26th might be marginally better.

2016 Mar 15
Looks like April 26th is better date for us. I'll make a reservation. Does 6:30 work for everyone?

2016 Mar 15
April 26th at 6:30 works for me.

2016 Mar 15
Yup that works well for me.

2016 Mar 15
Works for us as well.

2016 Mar 16
Sounds good:)

2016 Mar 22
Okay I am just going to say I would prefer the Chef's Table if we can get it. Is there a minimum or maximum on the number of people on the reservation to get it? We have 6 confirmed right now.

What does others think about Chef's Table..

2016 Mar 22
I ate at the Chef's Table a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I was facing the kitchen and liked watching the chef at work, creating beautiful plates of food. My dining partner had her back to the kitchen and kept turning around to watch so she thinks she would have preferred sitting on the same side as me. Will definitely sit there again

2016 Mar 23
I booked the Chefs table when I made the reservation. I figured it is easier to switch to a regular table if we decide we don't want to sit at the chefs table

2016 Mar 23
Great thinking lovetoeat :D

2016 Apr 6
bump......

2016 Apr 6
I'm still on. Have we picked an exact date for this yet? I believe we were given the option of the 19th or the 26th. Both dates are good with me I just want to write it on my calendar in pen ;)

2016 Apr 6
Pasta lover - April 26 @ 6:30 at the Chefs table

2016 Apr 6
@lovetoeat Thanks! Off to add it to my calendar...

2016 Apr 11
So I guess we are likely 6 since we have not heard from chef Bunny

2016 Apr 11
It's 2 weeks until the dinner, plenty of time for Chef bunny or others to join us. As long as I give Divino's a days notice, if we are increasing our numbers.

2016 Apr 13
My apologies but I am going to have to back down on the wine tasting. I am on medication for the next 3 weeks so I won't be able to do any wining during this period... I look forward to reviews and pictures after though!

2016 Apr 14
Pasta lover,

If you want you can just come for the dinner... You don't have to drink if you don't want to. There are small plates and also you can go with the 3 course menu for $35.

2016 Apr 18
FoodTravel If I can just order the small plates then count me in! I might not be able to drink right now but I can eat;) So I am still on.

2016 Apr 18
Great news Pasta lover! You can order from the regular menu or the Tuesday special menu, It's up to you.

2016 Apr 25
We might have a 7th person for the dinner..

2016 Apr 25
Great FT. When will know for sure? I'll add another person to the reservation

2016 Apr 25
Looking forward to it! Do we need to know the name the reservation is under?

2016 Apr 26
I was looking forward to this evening's outing but unfortunately won't be able to go:(
Hope you have a great time!

2016 Apr 26
I will be there with my appetite!

2016 Apr 26
That's too bad LF -

I'll see everyone tonight. I sent everyone my contact info or you can tell them that you are with the wine tasting dinner.

2016 Apr 26
Hi lovetoeat,

I am still on and looking forward to it.

I am sending a mail to confirm the person that went to the beer dinner at Petit Bill that was interested in this.

2016 Apr 28
Sorry had not had much chance to sit down and write and my cell just does not cut it to do longer reviews.

There were 5 of us for dinner and we had the better end of the Chef's table. Divino had several specials in the Tuesday 3 course dinner with 2 choices each for $35 (with optional wine pairing for $35) and by special request a temporary reinstatement of the 4 tasting glass wine flight for $12.

The set menu gives you a choice of
* Scamorza (pan seared cheese) and salad
* choice of 2 pasta, gnocchi in gorgonzola sauce and another pasta in tomato sauce which pasta lover had
* 6 oz striploin with porcini butter or salmon crusted with sesame seed
They were able to accommodate Strawberry girl in the set menu with a custom vegetable main

Most opted for the menu but I had gone in March for dinner on Tuesday and had the menu and would have opted for most of the same options if I had done the menu this time so went off to the regular menu since the meat board caught my eye and I was tempted before by the cuttlefish...

3 of us did the wine flight and lovetoeat did the wine pairing with dinner.
The wine flight was :
* Prosecco
* Gamey
* ?
* amarone from Veneto

I liked the amarone but since I held off on the 3 reds to drink with the meat board, by the time I tried it, it was too close to driving home and dropping off pasta lover to risk another glass. Divino does have a half price wine bottle on Thursday.

The cuttlefish was nice but I think I slightly prefer perfectly cooked calamari with the squid tentacles and rings since they are crispier and have more variety in texture.

2016 Apr 28
This was strawberry girls custom vegetable main.. roasted red pepper stuffed with ??? and some roasted asparagus

2016 Apr 28
The meat board with the 6 oz striploin, duck breast and 2 bones from a rack of lamb.. some roasted asparagus and parsnip came with them.

There is probably enough meat as a main for 2 people if you have some small plates and/or pasta before. If you plan to eat the meat plate, either plan to take some food home or don't get any starters lol. Of the 3, I like the duck the most but all were good.

2016 Apr 28
The gnocchi with the Gorgonzola sauce of which I had a taste of was excellent... love to eat photo please :D