Who here is of the Generation Yum? [General]

2016 Mar 1
I am not of the Generation Yum age bracket - what is it anyways - but I can certainly relate and have 2 offspring who have got to be among those talked about in the interview below. Can anyone relate, can we all relate and share some of the same characteristics if we are all "foodies" here? Does the generation yum accept responsibility for the recent reports elsewhere about lowered breakfast cereal consumption due to their preference for eating such things as $11 breakfast burritos rather than wasting time eating a bowl of cereal and milk?
Weigh in! Extra points for being punny! Or knot...

2016 Mar 1
Fascinating interview. I think all foodies can relate to Generation Y's heightened awareness of food quality, variety, and impact. Thanks for sharing! :)

2016 Mar 2
It was an interesting interview, albeit short considering the breadth of topics they covered. I assume the interview was a cross-section of her book so more detail on various things are there probably.

While I think food policy and a sustainable lifecycle is important, I wouldn't solely associate any of that with one particular generation.

I do agree with the narcissism related to food. Posting your food on social media, checking-in to locations, it's just an extension of "being seen."

The social aspect is important too. Food can be the common reason that gets people out of the house to socialize. Sometimes it's a birthday at Play, just a Friday night at Jack Astor's or a weekend standing in line at the latest food festival (that one, I'll never get. I think there must be waaaay too many suckers in Toronto considering how many disappointing food festivals have gotten away with their usual hijinx). As they say, "everybody's gotta eat." And perhaps large dinner parties are a bit more difficult in today's cramped living quarters (or so the documentaries say) so going out to eat is very common. And I dunno, maybe eating out is a bit of the lipstick effect in action.

Cooking at home is its own topic and I have some more laundry to fold. But it's an important one too that they only just mentioned in the interview.

Anyway, I can't talk about cereal (I never liked it as a kid unless it was at least 30% sugar) but breakfast sucks weekday mornings. I wake up 25 minutes before I have to leave for work. There ain't no time for no cereal! I typically eat a granola bar that I stash away in my filing cabinet. And then the weekend comes and who wants cereal? We want omelettes, pancakes, fried rice, BBQ duck, leftover rotisserie chicken (okay, that's just me).

2016 Mar 2
Gee, for me cereal is the most convenient fast breakfast.

2016 Mar 2
You can have my $11 breakfast burrito, wrapped in a $14 pancake, when you can pry it from my cold dead $4 artisan chocolate almond croissant powdered sugar stained fingers.

Now if you`ll excuse me i have some $5 tacos to pick up for dinner.

2016 Mar 2
Occam's razor - The diversity, quality and availability of food today is unparalleled. It's a great time to be alive.

2016 Mar 2
Holy crap......I surrender ....!!!!!!
Not.......

2016 Mar 2
$5.50 eggcellent breakfast bagel from the Ottawa Bagel shop

Best brekkie in town. Toasted with mayo and bacon!