Making Tangyuan - Rice ball [General]

2016 Feb 24
My mom wanted some Tangyuan for the Winter Solstice Festival. Went to Everfresh near Montreal Road yesterday and they did not have any !!! So bought some glutinous rice flour and attempting to make it.

en.wikipedia.org(food)

This will detail my journey..

2016 Feb 24
Milled rosted black sesame powder

2016 Feb 24
Added some Splenda and lard to make sugar free black sesame paste

2016 Feb 24
Some Kraft natural peanut butter (smooth) and some crushed peanuts since I don't have crunchy

2016 Feb 24
Glutinous rice flour dough

2016 Feb 24
Pinch of a little piece of dough and roll into a ball

2016 Feb 24
Flatten the dough ball into a flat pancake by pressing between thumb and fingers

2016 Feb 24
Put some of the filling such as the black sesame seeds paste into the pancake

2016 Feb 24
Bring the edge close together and pinch it closed

2016 Feb 24
Completely seal the ball

2016 Feb 24
Roll the ball between 2 palms until smooth and round

2016 Feb 24
What I made tonight 12 black sesame and 6 peanut butter rice balls

2016 Feb 24
Boil in water until they are cooked and floats. Serve in bowl and add some cooking liquid and sweeten with sugar or splenda

2016 Feb 24
The OF platform SW does not seem to like the Wikipedia link so if you use the link in the 1st post, click on the first link for the food...

Might try making mochi next.. It is fairly similar to Tangyuan, just made with cooked glutinous rice flour dough rather than raw glutinous rice flour dough and flattened a little. The version I like is black sesame or black sesame with peanut and then dipped in toasted white and black sesame..

taganskitchen.blogspot.ca

2016 Mar 5
Yum! Looks great! I like to have mine in a sugar cane sugar sweet soup, sometimes with a couple of slices of ginger to spice it up. I buy the rectangular sugar cane sticks from any Chinese grocery store.

2016 Mar 5
My parents are diabetic so we tend to add Splenda or stevia to the cooking liquid for sweet soup.

Ricelover, what is your favourite flavour?