North of 7 distillery tour [General]

2016 Feb 12
Hi all,

The North of 7 distillery on St. Laurent was mentioned on the recent Canadian whiskey thread..

I saw a Groupon for Tour and Tasting for Two, Plus Shot Glasses at North of 7 Distillery (Up to 43% Off) for $24 vs the normal $42.

With the 20% off code GIFT20 for local spas, Restaurants, Activities and more, it is brought down to 19.60 which is under $10 per person for the tour.

If you have not used groupon yet, someone can refer you and they get $10 bonus buck for the referral..

uhmmm anyone interested for a group tour some Saturday?

2016 Feb 12
I would be. I already bought the groupon, but I didn't apply the GIFT20 code.

2016 Feb 12
I would be interested

2016 Feb 12
Gift 20 is available till tonight.

Lovetoeat want to be my +1?

2016 Feb 12
I'd love to FT

2016 Feb 12
I will try to call tomorrow and get a list of dates with Sat afternoon availability...

The Gift20 is finished and new kiss25 does not work but the North 7 groupon is only $24 for 2 people if anyone else want to join.

2016 Feb 13
Sounds like a plan. They give you two North of 7 shot glasses with the tour too . . . .

2016 Feb 18
When are we going to meet up to do this tour ? :-)

2016 Feb 18
Finally talked to a live person vs answering machine. Our choice with groupon are Thursday at 6pm, Friday at 6pm and Saturday at 5pm.

What are the preferences and dates?

2016 Feb 18
My preference is a Saturday. My Saturdays are open for the next monthish

2016 Feb 18
My preference is for Sat too. How about you Francis?

Would Fe 27th work? Not sure I can put it together for this Sat...

2016 Feb 19
Hey Francis,

Date preference for which Sat?

2016 Feb 20
not tomorrow, but almost any Saturday. Yeah the 27th at 5:00pm would be fine.

2016 Feb 20
So Feb 27th work?

2016 Feb 20
yup.

2016 Feb 20
Booking Sat Feb 27 5pm:

* FoodTravel
* Francis +1
* Love to Eat

If anyone else want to go you
1) buy the groupon for $24 for 2 people
2) email N7jody@gmail.com to make the reservation for Sat Feb 27 5pm.
3) Post here say you are joining us..

2016 Feb 21
Okay waiting for the reservation confirmation. Or will follow up next Monday.

2016 Feb 22
Feb 27th works for me.

2016 Feb 22
Okay I tossed this up for a meetup in Ottawa Social so I may have another 14 people doing the tour with us. But basically it is a bit of a potluck on these group tours.

Max number is 25 so if anyone else what to do a tour, speak up since I think they are at 20 already. There might be some people you can split a groupon with if you are only 1..

2016 Feb 22
I got a groupon:) count me in!

2016 Feb 22
Nice that you can join us, LF. Let me know later if you are 1 or 2.

2016 Feb 22
Francis, I assumed you are 2 but please confirm since I am getting a grip on the numbers.

2016 Feb 23
yes me and Thomas . .

2016 Feb 23
Great. Spoke to one of the owners Jody yesterday on the phone and I think he is the one doing the tour. There is a bunch from Ottawa Social too.

He ask if we can show up 5-10 minutes before our start time of 5pm so they can check off the groupons and leave as much time as possible for the tour before they close at 6pm..

See you Sat.

2016 Feb 24
Thanks for organizing this FoodTravel !

2016 Feb 24
Minimal organization required since each (or each pair) buy their own ticket :D Just a reservation and some communication and coordination needed. It should be fun... There is the Lindt store nearby and the Scottish and Irish store.. Uhmm think I have a Lindt coupon lol..

2016 Feb 26
Okay last call.. I think we have an extra spot since LF's friend cancelled.

2016 Feb 26
Let me see . . . I know someone who might be interested.

He can't make it. Has a full schedule tomorrow with his kids.

2016 Feb 27
Is the spot taken?

2016 Feb 27
I don't think so.. But LF is the one who knows for sure

2016 Feb 27
i can share my groupon with Francis' friend

2016 Feb 27
Great tour, Jodi is very charismatic and their products very unique. It was also impressive to see all that they create in this small space.

2016 Feb 27
The oak barrels! Where some of the magic happens.

2016 Feb 28
I thought it would be an interesting tour, but didn't have high expectations for the product because, at this point in time, the length of aging has been quite short.

I was wrong. It's very good stuff.

Best gin I ever tasted, with a wonderful hint of nutmeg along with the juniper.

Great rum . . . perhaps I should start drinking rum !

And their white dog cask aged . . . it's better than Lot 40. It's really outstanding.

They aim for a more corn based mash, rather than rye.

Toasted corn smells great and the product is, oh so very smooth.

I can't imagine how it will be after 3 years ageing !

---------

I really enjoyed the tour. Jodi knew his stuff and loves to talk about all aspects of the operation.

Having the various samples before the tour put everyone in a great mood. :-)

2016 Feb 28
I think he said those charred american oak barrels costed $600 apiece. And you can't get them in quantity anymore.

2016 Feb 28
It is a lot of fun to hear someone talk about something they are passionate about and Jody is definitely a good example of that. He is refreshingly honest in saying they don't know half the stuff and sometimes just have to try different things and see how it goes.

The samples were nice and a few of us had more than 1 of some lol. I ended up buying the gin since the 22 months old aged white dog is not ready yet and need another 14 months. They expect to bottle it around June 2017 so maybe we should go back again then since I will buy a bottle of that if it continues to mature as I expect it too.. :D

2016 Feb 28
The corn mash room

2016 Feb 28
The little gin distiller with the botanicals on top being feed from the result of the vodka distiller to the right.

2016 Feb 28
distiller process talk in the distilling room

2016 Feb 28
The aging room where the rum and white dog are being aged in white oak casks.