Saturday morning breakfast [General]

2007 Dec 5
So I thought I would ask the fellow foodies of Ottawa where a good and yummy place to go for breakfast on Sat. morning would be?? I want to try somewhere I haven't been before soooo, here's some places I've ALREADY been to:

Stoneface Dolly's (Bronson location)
The Manx
Cora's
The Scone Witch

What would your suggestions be?

2007 Dec 5
For your standard bacon, eggs, homefries and toast breakfast, i've found that John's Quick Lunch on Wellington (www.ottawafoodies.com) serves up one of the best i've had.

It also helps that it's within walking distance. :)

2007 Dec 5
I second John's. Ada's on Bank is also a favorite of mine.

2007 Dec 5
If you are very, very hungry... and not in a hurry, I'd try the Black Tomato.

2007 Dec 6
I'll 2nd John's and Ada's. See my comments on Ada's under "buzz" - she's awesome!

Cozy's on Wellington West for their home made Belgian Waffles!

2007 Dec 6
I like the Bramasole Diner, personally. It's got the right amount of greasy spoon.

2007 Dec 6
I'm mildly obsessed with the Baker Street Café. Bad coffee, but unbelievable sausage, toast and homefries.

2007 Dec 6
I love the Rideau Bakery's breakfast - on Rideau past Loblaws. Unfortunately, they don't serve breakfast on Saturdays. Every other morning from 7-11 you get two eggs, home fries, fruit or tomatoes and your choice of delicious bakery bread. Not to mention coffee, very good coffee!

2007 Dec 6
Thanx everyone....great suggestions, as usual! A coworker of mine suggested Loui's Steakhouse on Cyrville. Has anyone been?? She said also that if I go there, I must request to sit in Ida's section!

2007 Dec 6
I'm a fan of the Manx and Newport for breakfast. The Manx serves huevos rancheros, which is a personal favourite, and the Newport is just a classic greasy spoon.

2007 Dec 7
The wife, junior and I had a GREAT time last saturday for brunch at Patty's Pub on bank. Food was quite decent, and flavourful, and the place was very family friendly.

2007 Dec 10
For something different, try the Constance Lake Lodge and Seaplane Base. My husband and I went this summer - really great pancakes and decent coffee. We didn't try any of the egg dishes.. It was pretty busy and we ate outside on the deck - we also got to watch a seaplane take off - kind of cool. This place definitely appeals to families with small children. I am not sure how busy it would be in the winter... There is ice fishing and planes also land once the lake freezes over. It is located 2 miles from March Road and Dunrobin Road intersection. For more information:
www.constancelake.com

2007 Dec 11
Thanks for the Rideau Bakery tip. There are not many diners left in the market I don't really care for Mello's (or more specifically the crackhead perpetually in front of the door at Mello's) and I don't really care for the breakfast anyplace else nearby. Tried Nate's, Don Cherry's and the Auld Dubliner, and still looking. I'll have to give it a try next time.

2007 Dec 11
Ironically, Mousse, one of my fav breakfasts when down in the market was getting croissant, or chocolatine, or fresh baguette from the french baker, retreating back to my exes apartment across the street, having coffee and a smoke and croissant and jam/nutella and fresh fruit on the balcony... ahhh...

Breakfast is pretty shoddy downtown. I don't mind Nate's, then again, I haven't been there in a few years now. Auld Dubliner was mediocre. Mello's is just plain with some colourful clientele. Zak's Diner is ok, overpriced though.

2007 Dec 12
The Mayflower on Elgin Street has the best breakfast down town. The vegetarian frittata is great according to my girlfriend and I think the eggs Benedict is the best around for the price. To demolish a hangover I suggest the fruit smoothie to start, eggs Benny with coffee, and then the waffles piled high with whipped cream, strawberries and maple syrup. and a glass of milk. I ask for ice on the side as the milk in most places can be a little warmer than you would like. If you don’t get the smoothie try some fresh squeezed OJ. Secret hint: if you don’t want to hit the diner in the front go through the back to the, for lack of a better term, speakeasy. Where I personally think that the black and tans help the hangover more than the food… :D