nut milk bags [General]

2015 Dec 13
I have been making my own yogurt and would like to strain some of the whey out of it. I understand that nut milk bags work. Does anyone know where I can buy these? I did try Kitchenalia which does not carry them and Bed Bath and Beyond. They will order them but you have to pay shipping charges which is a non-starter. Any other options besides nut milk bags? I think anything I would use as a yogurt strainer would have to be quite a fine mesh. Thank you.

2015 Dec 13
AliExpress: www.aliexpress.com

or

eBay:

www.ebay.ca

You could also try a large fine mesh strainer from the dollar store, or a piece of fine weave cotton.

The nut milk bags would be pretty good for making yogurt cheese.

I was also using them for sprouting. Easiest way to sprout ever. But . . . I was soaking them in a bleach solution between sproutings and left too long the bag will become weak from the chlorine and tear apart.

2015 Dec 13
I use basket style coffee filters, overlapping 3 of them (wet them before overlapping them) in a plastic strainer, that's not fine meshed, that fits nicely in a bowl holding the strainer high and dry from the drained whey. I don't like to use a metal strainer for fear of getting a metallic taste in the yogurt. Several layers of clean cotton or cheesecloth will work too, and can be tied up and suspended (and squeezed if you like) from a faucet over a sink, unless you want to save the whey - collect it in a bowl in the sink. I put mine in the fridge to drain, and if I leave it too long I may stir some whey back in when making a dip or sauce. It isusually really easy to get the drained yogurt out of the coffee filters - they'll peel off after you flip the strainer onto a plate or wide low bowl.

2015 Dec 13
I'm pretty sure I've seen nut milk bags at the Herb & Spice on Wellington.

2015 Dec 13
I use paper coffee filters and line a metal strainer. I've never noticed a metallic taste and I've been doing it this way for years. In leached paper filters are cheap and I use 2-3. I like it to sit for a long time and get really think, but a quick drain would get most liquid out.

2015 Dec 14
I've been using the jelly bags from Lee Valley for close to a decade now to strain my yogurt and make the most yummy thick, Greek style yogurt. www.leevalley.com,2120,33279

If your plain yogurt sets well, you can use one bag to strain, if your plain yogurt tends to be on the runny side, use two bags. If you need some tricks on how to make your yogurt set well, lemme know and I can give you some. ;-)

When you are done straining your yogurt, wash the bags well by hand, strain out any water, then put them in a plastic bag and freeze them. Keeps any lint and other unwanted stuff off them that might gather if you wash them in your laundry.

2015 Dec 14
That looks like a Martian invader from an Orson Wells si-fi . . . .

2015 Dec 15
Would pantyhose and a bent coat-hanger work ?

2015 Dec 22
Rainbow Foods carries nut milk bags.

2015 Dec 27
What about just layering cheesecloth? That would seem to me a simple and inexpensive workaround.

2015 Dec 27
If it's good cheese cloth, (and your yogurt sets properly) you can for sure get away with using a colander and only one layer of cheese cloth. If it's crapy cheese cloth, at least two layers is a good idea.

Depending on how much whey you want removed, it's better to hang it rather than have it set in a colander with the cloth. I find hanging can be finicky with cheese cloth. But maybe I'm just clumsy!

2016 Jan 11
I bough some paper basket type coffee filters, as I thought I would try that first. I made yogurt yesterday and these filters worked perfectly. So, I guess I have no need for a nut milk bag after all. Thanks to all who took the time to respond.

2016 Jan 12
I would also prefer to buy this locally rather than online. Need like 5-6 nut bags.