Xmas rum [Booze]

2015 Dec 12
I can't believe this stuff. I got it at the LCBO on Wellington last night. Wray & Nephew white overproof rum. It's 63%, and tastes like it. It also has this amazingly strong molasses smell and flavour.

THIS is the rum you're going to want to soak your balls in.

Made in Kingston, Jamaica.
750ml
$36.75

2015 Dec 12
What is overproof rum ?

Oh ... now I see.

"The term originated in the 16th century, when payments to British sailors included rations of rum. To ensure that the rum had not been watered down, it was "proved" by dousing gunpowder with it and then testing to see whether the gunpowder would ignite. If it did not, then the rum contained too much water and was considered to be "under proof""

en.wikipedia.org

2015 Dec 12
My fav molasses-y rhum ?

Regular strength (40% alc.) = Old Sam ottawafoodies.com

High test (57.1% (100 Proof) or higher) = Cabot Tower

2015 Dec 12
Why not go whole hog with a bottle of bacardi 151. Comes with no less than three hazardous material logos on it for fire danger.

(But, seriously, don't unless you are a frat boy)

2015 Dec 12
Release the Kraken!

Caramelly, vanilla-y, smooth, 45% and often discounted around this time of year. Great for sipping straight or mixed and in rum balls.

2015 Dec 12
I finally made a drink with the Wray & Nephew, and I feel that this is more of a cooking ingredient. The Dragonlady likes the molasses taste (as do I), but the extra alcohol really punches through even when I use less.

You know, I may actually barrel-age this one for a month or so. That will draw out the harshness and make it better. Unfortunately, all the eggnog will be gone from the shelves by then.

I love Kraken and Sailor Jerry. They are nicely spiced and make terrific mixed drinks.

2015 Dec 12
Oak it with your chips then cut it with water after a few months aging !

2015 Dec 12
Isn't Bacardi (151 or others) is to rhum as McDee's is to hamburgers
or ... as Pizza Hut is to pizza
or ... Spam is to meat
or ... Lunchables are to lunch
or ... Chef Boyardee is to pasta.

They may have a time and a place but ..........

2015 Dec 13
I think the PC eggnog in the plastic bottles that are not refrigerated, those are good for a couple months. So maybe stock up on those.

2015 Dec 13
Rizak, I have some of your tablets, and I like my rum in more than eggnog. I can bite the bullet on this one for you when I get paid.

2015 Dec 14
For the record, when I travelled throughout Jamaica on a birding expedition to seek out the island's endemic species—the actual Jamaica—not the resort version, and asked a couple of locals for their recommendation of a good/solid Jamaican rum that I could bring back to Canada, there seemed to be national consensus.

I spoke with a friendly older man in Port Antonio, who said: "Overproof".

I spoke with a younger man, also friendly, just outside of Kingston, who also said: "Overproof".

I've been drinking it ever since, just 'cause.

As a side note, I never thought ginger beer could taste so crisp, or hibiscus flowers could smell so sweet and redolent, or coffee (grown in the Blue Mountains, and drank in the Blue Mountains) could taste so... "coffee-ish?" (Damn it's good!)

But yes, short story long, you should give Overproof a try, at least once :)

And if you can get to Jamaica, ixnay the resorts if at all possible and go explore the actual country! Just keep in mind, that if you rent a car, they drive on the left side of the road.

Oh, and when you're in the Blue Mountains, the goats don't care about the sides of the roads.

2015 Dec 14
I'm with you Sparrow.

I dream of a good Jamaican rum and roadside jerk (truly free range) chicken. Complete with smouldering allspice or pimento branches.

ottawafoodies.com

2015 Dec 14
I tried rum in ginger beer recently. It was nice. :-)

@sparrow, what about Jamaica Blue Mountain ?

p.s. Groovy's Roti Hut (the best one I found in Ottawa) permanently closed.

Caribbean Flavors which closed is now reopened on Nelson. But I liked Groovy's much better.

------------------------

2015 Dec 15
Not to take us away from Jamaica but in Bermuda, one of the drinks of choice is a Dark 'n' Stormy which is dark rum and ginger beer. Very tasty!! en.wikipedia.org

2015 Dec 15

"THIS is the rum you're going to want to soak your balls in. "

I see what you did there, Rizak.

@sparrow - funny, every time i asked a Jamaican in 'real' Jamaica about that they would break out a corked big clay jug with a couple of Xs on it.

...that rarely ended well for me.

2015 Dec 15
I don't like dark and stormies. Yes, yes, you can boo and his me. I just don't like ginger beer.

My rum jam is a classic dacquiri. Lime juice, bit of simple syrup, lot of rum. That's it.