Restaurant Closings :( (continued again) [General]

2015 Dec 4
TOPIC continued from Forum - Restaurant Closings :( (continued)

New Edinburgh Pub to close by end of April 2016.

2015 Dec 14
Heard rumblings that Maxwell's on Elgin is being taken over by Pure Kitchen.

Also hearing things arent all that well for a couple spots in Westboro.......

2015 Dec 14
RIP Denny's on Bank St (South Keys).

2015 Dec 22
Anyone heard anything about Real Sports?

2015 Dec 22
Mello's closed last night. Sign is gone already. Ace Mercado was egged / ketchuped mercilessly.

2015 Dec 22
I heard that Real Sports is closing in January. No big loss.

2015 Dec 22
Ace Mercado egged.

redd.it/3xu055

Haven't seen a good eggin' since Halloween '74.

2015 Dec 22
I thought they had said they wanted to keep the sign up??

I think Ace Mercado will have a lot of bad luck for taking down the Mellos sign-even though there are allowed to as they rented the property.

2015 Dec 22
They didn't take it down. Pretty sure Mello's took it down.

2015 Dec 22
It looks like Mello's took the sign down. The CBC just posted an interesting follow up to the removal of the sign: www.cbc.ca

2015 Dec 22
"We own the name and we own the logo. Basically, the sign has been here a long time — even before the owner owned the building. So we say the sign is ours, they say the sign is theirs," ... said Martin Fremeth, who has owned Mellos for nearly five years.

Hmmmm, Fremeth may own the logo (if he's registered it as a trade mark or had it copyrighted), but does that mean he owns the sign ?

He leased or rented space in a building, does that entitle him too any of the buildings chattels ?

He'll probably have to win it in a court of law and not by public opinion via social media.

Idea: One could start a crowd source to cover legal costs.

2015 Dec 22
If he registered the logo as a trademark, then even if he doesn't own the sign he might be able to go after the owner for trademark infringement. He still could even if it's an unregistered trademark, but with an unregistered trademark the bar is higher to prove that you have the right to use it.

I'm not sure that commercial signage would be considered part of the building chattels - isn't that something the business usually puts up themselves (with the landlord's permission)? If the original owner of the business put the sign up, I would assume the sign was part of the assets of the business when it was sold, but who knows. The heritage designation also complicates things.

2015 Dec 25
Actually, signs often become fixtures, not chattels, and belong the building owner. Even if it doesn't, the sign is part of the heritage designation and can't be moved without the permission of the City, something they did not get.

He says the sign has been there a long time, before the owners bought the building, which in my mind cements the building owner's claim to it -- it was already a fixture when they bought. The other thing the sign predates is Fremeth's ownership of the business. Unless the sign is addressed specifically in his lease and/or purchase of the business, he is likely out to lunch and may have commited a theft.

2016 Jan 3
According to the sign on Maxwell's window their last day of business in January 17th. Apparently a new restaurant will be opening in its place.

2016 Jan 4
Someone told me Maxwell's was just closing for renovations, however just saw a note on their facebook page that after 30 years in Ottawa, they are indeed closing and retiring the name. Not sure if links are allowed on here, so if you're interested in reading more just look them up on their FB business page.

Maxwells used to be awesome (especially brunch) in the mid 90s, but has gone downhill so much in the last 15 years or so. It's too bad. I was there a few months ago and the food was terrible. Much worse than when I had dinner there a year or two ago, but someone told me someone else bought it about a year(ish) ago and has been running it into the ground. Not sure if this is true, but it seemed like an entirely different restaurant so I suspect the ownership changed hands.

I'm interested to find out what may open in its place though, it's prime location.

2016 Jan 4
I remember it used to be a nighclub also on one floor.

The bar and club used to be ok-but do not remember too much about the food.

2016 Jan 4
I think Wholesale Wayne is correct it is supposed to become a Pure Kitchen

2016 Jan 5
Re: Maxwell's. I also remember it was a popular place in the 90s - it didn't matter what time of day or night I passed by there, there was always a line-up. But I noticed not too long ago the interior was re-decorated and the menu updated. Not that there is anything wrong with that but I was always curious to find out what the new updated menu was like. Links are okay and I stand corrected - two new establishments will be opening in the existing spot: maxwellsottawa.com/

There is a bar and restaurant on the main level and a nightclub upstairs.

2016 Jan 13
Rockwell's in Merivale mall has closed.

2016 Jan 13
Comes a few days after the manager or owner charged with sexual assault.

2016 Jan 13
Actually the charges were laid in January 2015, a year ago.

2016 Jan 13
Huh, yes you're right. Oops!

2016 Jan 14
What??
I never heard about this.
About the charges to the owner.

I used to eat here all the time when I was in high school and after going out.
It was nice that it was open 24h a day back then.

Disgusting that someone would actually do this.

2016 Jan 14
Heard that many of the staff and management of Rockwells are now working at the old Nates on Merivale which is now 'Family Cookhouse" or something like that...

2016 Jan 18
Cbc just said Germantown is closing!!! Wtf

2016 Jan 18
If that's true, a very sad day indeed. I love that place.

2016 Jan 19
If that's true, a very sad day indeed. I love that place.

2016 Jan 19
Really?!? That's one of my favourite lunch places... The day German Town closes it will be a sad day indeed...

2016 Jan 19
Well that explains the 40% on beer steins they are offering. But it is still sad news. Will go there for lunch today.

2016 Jan 19
NEIN!!!!!

2016 Jan 19
www.cbc.ca

Click for the Cbc story about the German town deli closing :(

2016 Jan 19
It's almost bare when I went for lunch. Got some shot glasses for $2 and a boot beer stein for $20

2016 Jan 19
Considering the sausage kitchen closed in November and now the German Town Deli is closing, is it a trend?

2016 Jan 20
I hope not... We still have the European Deli on Merivale and Dutch Imports on Clyde so at least we have a couple more options.

2016 Jan 20
A trend? Yes. Any place that has been in business, in place, for 20 years and still clings to reasonable prices has just got to go.

2016 Jan 21
It's been 30 years and the guy is retiring, so there it is. I wish him well, and will try to buy his last landjaegers next week.

2016 Jan 21
Am so there for lunch tomorrow.

2016 Jan 22
Streetside Curry announces they are closing.

us8.campaign-archive1.com

Sad to see these guys go, but hopeful that a new vendor will get their spot for the upcoming season.

2016 Mar 8
Angelucci's in Barrhaven is closed. There is a notice on the door for non-payment of lease.

2016 Mar 8
I think some street vendor forgot that the season is short but costs for the cart/truck is year round. Unless you have a winter job for the off season, you need to earn enough in the summer for the whole year.

2016 Mar 9
The 'Time Out' place in the parking lot of the Coliseum movie theatre is closed. With prejudice from the look of the chains and stuff.

2016 Mar 9
The Time Out is being renovated and turning back into a Shoeless Joe's... Yes it was already a Shoeless a few years ago but for some reason they're giving the chain another shot in this location.

2016 Mar 10
Haveli on Clarence St has closed.

Also heard the Real Sports rumors once again. Apparently they're dying a slow death and are hanging on but could close their doors any day now...

2016 Mar 10
Kochin Kitchen on Dalhousie is closed.

2016 Mar 10
Kochin Kitchen is closed! Already? Darn!

2016 Mar 10
Website says they are closed due to a water leak and will re-open shortly.

2016 Mar 10
New Edinburgh Pub closing on April 9. A plucky new upstart pub called "The Royal Oak" will open in that location later in 2016. (The closing was previously posted in this thread, but I believe the date and the new tenant to be fresh info).

2016 Mar 10

Woo. Hoo.

2016 Mar 10
Well, I dunno if these plucky upstarts will last. Ottawa has established chains of pubs. Like D'arcy McGee, and Barley Mow or even the Royal Oak.

2016 Mar 10
I see Blackthorn at 15 Clarence is closed and the windows are all papered over. No explanatory signage. I worked there many years ago when it was a Ritz. Great space, great patio.

2016 Mar 10
A visit to their website says "We will be closing on September 14 for major renovations. Planned re-opening in June 2016."

2016 Mar 11

Ichido Ramen closed permanently, New restaurant Roast N Curries opening next month.

2016 Mar 14
It looks like Miga has closed and a new resto will be opening in its place - I believe the new place will be called Thai Social.

2016 Mar 15
Angelucci's in Barrhaven.

Evidently such a fantastic place it was never recorded on this site.

2016 Mar 15
Except on March 8 in this very thread. :)

2016 Mar 15
Well I used the site search before posting. It found nothing.

2016 Mar 31
Meat in the Middle has closed :( Greek pizza place moving in.

2016 Mar 31
F__k.
I liked that place.

2016 Mar 31
ZaZaZa is officially closed now as closing was mentioned early this thread but now the signs are even down after final services this weekend.

2016 Mar 31
In addition to Streetside Curry as mentioned earlier, Olive Green Pizza is now closed. I mention this only because they have the same owner. The customer service was always fantastic and their pizza was good so I'm sad to see them go. I'm not a real estate mogul, but I always thought opening a pizza shop where a previous pizza shop had failed was a bad idea. Like they say, pizza is like sex; when it's good it's great and when it's bad it's still pretty good

2016 Mar 31
Damn. I really liked Meat in the Middle. Amazing MTL smoked meat.

2016 Mar 31
Great smoked meat but price/portion was out of whack.

2016 Mar 31
@TheNatureman So ... I should shelve my plans to re-open Somerset Pizza?

2016 Apr 1
Go for a Mtl smoked meat place instead.

2016 Apr 2
Sushi or Shwarma - definately need more of them...

2016 Apr 3
Update on the Hull side:

- Gy resto has closed and Rustiek Taverne Gastro is opening soon.

- Echec et Malt (ex: Brut Catina) closed and new resto opening soon.

- Marché des Brasseures d'ici closed and Le Bilboquet Ice cream from Montreal is going in.

2016 Apr 3
Which LMBI closed?

2016 Apr 3
All of them I heard but the one in Old Hull is now closed.

2016 Apr 7
Urban Pear closed!

2016 Apr 12
Flavours of the Caribbean is no more, very sad.

2016 Apr 12
Oh no! Where am I going to get a decent roti now?

2016 Apr 12
Tropical Garden on Mtl Rd is pretty good.

2016 Apr 17
Wow,

I was just talking about Urban Pear today- their new menu and prices were out of whack.

Haveli, I am a bit disappointed-I used to like the lunch buffet.

Bank St Sausage- all their signs are gone and their store looks empty.
Anyone know anything about this?

2016 Apr 18
Saffron Restaurant on Rideau Street is no more. There is a pub with a pool table in its place (I'll post the name of the new spot next time I walk by the area.)

2016 Apr 18
Saffron gone... cr@p i really liked their food.

2016 Apr 19
Ever Afters on Rideau St. is selling off their equipment. "End of lease sale" sign in the window.

2016 Apr 19
Silver lining, they're selling half-price bubble tea.

Sad to see them go, their Korean fried chicken is pretty good, if a bit expensive ($16? extra for white rice? oof). That location is pretty much cursed, tends to turn over every year or two. Maru, the previous tenant, was pretty decent and run by lovely people, but couldn't hack it either.

2016 Apr 25
Bacon Factory on O'Connor has closed. Opening Soon.... Shawarma Factory. (not a joke).

2016 Apr 25
Oh excellent, we needed another shawarma place.

2016 Apr 25
OO! A new shawarma place? Will it be more upscale? Will I be able to get bacon or pulled pork on my shawarma? Will they have shawarma poutine?

... or will it just be another, you know, shawarma place?

Will it have industrial décor (that is to say, unfinished walls, plumbing, and electrical, so that they can call it a factory, or will the employees be dressed like they're out of Oliver Twist?

I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT I WANT!

2016 Apr 25
Artisanal shawarma.
You read it here first.

2016 Apr 26
Yeah, but the shawarmas aren't in season yet. It'll be another few months before they can be ethically harvested.

2016 Apr 26
I much prefer wild foraged shawarmas. It reduces green house gas and the carbon footprint
(or some stuff like that)

2016 Apr 26
I grow my own in a window box on my balcony.

2016 Apr 26
Isn't there a municipal by-law about that sort of thing?

2016 Apr 26
Shhhh, they think it's a simple chicken mcnugget plant. Don't tell the city, or my landlord.