Scottish Food [General]

2015 Nov 27
As xmas approaches I know I will get a request to bring some black pudding and haggis. Aside from the Scottish and Irish Store, does anyone else sell slices of these two treats?

2015 Nov 27
If black pudding is the same as blood pudding, I read in the Citizen recently that Meat Press Charcuterie and Sandwich Shop ot 45 Armstrong Road carries it.

2015 Nov 27
Black Pudding is Blood Pudding.

Lavergne Western Beef makes blood pudding but they make it Hungarian style not Scottish style.

It is still really good though.

You can find the Maple Leaf stuff at Metro from time to time and it is pretty good and closer to Scottish style.

2015 Nov 27
I beg to differ. Black pudding is different than blood pudding in my experience.

2015 Nov 28
You are also welcome to your opinion on whether or not 1+1=2

en.wikipedia.org

2015 Nov 28
And once again Zymurgist talks out his backside.

Black pudding doesn't equal blood pudding (aka blood sausage) any more than a slice of sourdough equals a croissant.

The former are both referring to sausages made with pork blood (as are boudin, morcilla and black botifarra), just as both of the latter are baked goods made with flour. But a common ingredient doesn't make them the same thing, though of course you are more than welcome to your "opinion".

Tree Pug, I'm a big fan of Stornoway Black Pudding and a friend is looking into the rumour that a butcher in Toronto imports this at Christmas. I'll post here if I can verify the source.

As for haggis, I very much like the one they make at Saslove's on Wellington St, I find it comparable to the spicy version from Macsween's. They don't sell it in slices but I buy a whole haggis of 3-4lbs, cook it in a bain marie, and they slice it after cooling in the fridge. I find it freezes very well after sliced and actually just finished my last frozen slices a few weeks ago. Not sure if they will have any at the moment but they usually have them by Christmas.

2015 Nov 28
I always thought that blood sausage was just the generic category, and Black Pudding is one of a myriad of varieties. Almost every culture has their own version of blood sausage.

(I later clicked on the wikipedia link and see that that's exactly what it seems to say)

2015 Nov 28
Yes, as the wikipedia article states, Black Pudding is a TYPE of Blood Pudding.

Just like Hungarian Style Blood Pudding is a TYPE of Blood Pudding. As I alluded to in my original response.

The only one talking out of their backside is the person who did not check the reference link before pontificating. That would be Johanna

2015 Nov 28
Well, technically you said "black pudding is blood pudding".

But I have a feeling that perhaps Johanna has been rubbed the wrong way a few times, and chose this thread to spill the beans...or pudding.

2015 Nov 28
"Black pudding is food"

Does that help?

EDIT: See if this helps too :

en.wikipedia.org

2015 Nov 28
Well, it supports Johanna's point a bit more. But kinda funny nonetheless.

I'm not convinced that Wiki is the go-to reference for proving a point...but I could be wrong. Nah!

2015 Nov 29
I would never question the veracity of Wikipedia but as someone who has eaten both black and blood puddings, I can tell you that they are two different things. The fact that they are called two different things could be the key 😀. Thanks for the info Johanna.

2015 Nov 29
"Black Pudding is Blood Pudding"

Is not the same as saying

"Blood Pudding is Black Pudding"

Just like

"Blood Pudding is food"

is not the same as saying

"Food is Blood Pudding"

2015 Dec 3
Zymurgist. The way you answered the original question clearly shows that you were suggesting black pudding EQUALS blood pudding.

You either failed to properly communicate or you got pudding pWned.

It's okay you know. We still like you.

2015 Dec 3
No, your understanding of my original answer clearly shows you don't know English.

But I've already tried to explain that ...

2015 Dec 4
Heart this entry if you want to 'Thumbs Down' the entry that contains ".... you don't know English."

2015 Dec 4
You sure are a f^Hsmart sm^H^Hfeller Captain Caper

Popular opinion does not make something correct.

2015 Dec 5
"Popular opinion does not make something correct".... Nor does it necessarily invalidate a point.

2015 Dec 6
I ordered some bloody black pudding and haggis from Muir's in Maxville.

2015 Dec 29
(And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...)

Glad you were able to find something Tree Pug -- how are the pudding and haggis from Muir's?

My sister-in-law lives nearby so if you can give it two thumbs up, I'd like to see if she can bring some on her next trip to Ottawa. Unfortunately my Stornoway Black Pudding connection never came through :(

2015 Dec 29
Funny enough Muir's black pudding was quite bloody. A little off putting and pretty good but not worth the trip. Their haggis is definitely worth the trip. Very tasty and available in a convenient half pound format, they also give you the choice of foil or casing (foil is cheaper). The standout it their meat pie. Very traditional and very good. It has that soft/firm crust and thin meaty filling that is worth the trip. Call ahead and reserve though.

2015 Dec 30
I'm still trying to figure out what "f^Hsmart sm^H^Hfeller" means...

2015 Dec 30
damn.. wondering if hankering for haggis is worth a 50 min drive each way...

What type of meat pie did you get Tree Pug?

2015 Dec 30
The traditional meat pie.

2015 Dec 30
I no longer care what "f^Hsmart sm^H^Hfeller" means.

But ... I'm still basking in the glow of seeing 15 'Hearts' for the 'Thumbs Down' response.

2016 Jan 2
^H is geekspeak for the Backspace key (ASCII code 8). So f^Hsmart sm^H^Hfeller is "fart smeller" corrected inline to "smart feller"...

2016 Jan 2
Thanks for explaining, warby. I never, ever would have guessed that, and google wasn't helping. ;-)

All the geekspeak aside, I do now have quite a hankering for haggis.